Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good fantasy books Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    I love the ASOIAF series but basically all other fantasy I've read is really rubbish, with loads of long exposition and wooden, static characters. I really didn't like the Robin Hobb or Patrick Rothfuss I've read, and now I'm reading 'The Grace Of Kings' by Ken Lui and it's the same!

I think ASOIAF is good because it's really subtle, and has a great fictional world but doesn't spend pages pages explaining it all, and the characters are complex and subtle (and again you don't get the whole bloody backstory).

Has anyone got any recommendations for good books in the genre? And does anyone agree with me - everyone on GoodReads seems to have the opposite opinion to mine :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    I love the ASOIAF series but basically all other fantasy I've read is really rubbish, with loads of long exposition and wooden, static characters. I really didn't like the Robin Hobb or Patrick Rothfuss I've read, and now I'm reading 'The Grace Of Kings' by Ken Lui and it's the same!

I think ASOIAF is good because it's really subtle, and has a great fictional world but doesn't spend pages pages explaining it all, and the characters are complex and subtle (and again you don't get the whole bloody backstory).

Has anyone got any recommendations for good books in the genre? And does anyone agree with me - everyone on GoodReads seems to have the opposite opinion to mine :/
    I know exactly what you mean! I'm about to start up Lord of the Rings when I have time, and I really like the sound of The Black Company by Glen Cook as well

ReputationRep:
    has a great fictional world but doesn't spend pages pages explaining it all
    What the heck are you talking about? It's full of mad emperors, dragons and Valyrian steel and you have to learn it all. It's as complex as LotR, maybe even more.

I recommend Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, they're not just action-packed and sexy but really really funny.

ReputationRep:
    The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are must-read for any fantasy fan.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asterian)
    What the heck are you talking about? It's full of mad emperors, dragons and Valyrian steel and you have to learn it all. It's as complex as LotR, maybe even more.
    Sorry, I meant it doesn't have loads and loads of dumping information on you in one section. GRRM builds a world in a subtle way and I find that works better. Other fantasy I've read is like "here is all the information you'll ever need in the next chapter" and it doesn't feel very smooth to me.

ReputationRep:
    Wheel Of Time, The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, anything by Trudi Canavan from the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    okay, i realise it's YA fiction - but honestly, the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix if you haven't read it already. it's my absolute favourite series of books.

the worldbuilding is incredible and although it's not as explicit as ASOIAF, it's about necromancers and death and doesn't dumb it down or make you feel like an idiot. suuuch a good series!

have you tried Neil Gaiman? his books are also amazing. American Gods is another one of my favourite books! apart from that i'm afraid i don't have many recommendations as i read a lot more sci-fi than fantasy

ReputationRep:
    the Gormenghast trilogy.

ReputationRep:
    The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It shares certain elements with GRR Martin's fantasy world but cuts down on the dragons and undead, instead being more about the politics and adventures throughout the varied world. It has a good range of interesting characters and it's fair share of magic and mystery and the a couple of very unique mythical entities such as the Eaters and the Shanka.

Whilst it doesn't have the warring families of Westeros, the book is seemingly set during a late medieval/renaissance period, slightly further on than how GoT was portrayed, so it's a much more nationalistic approach to fantasy politics. Definitely worth a read if you've not read it yet.

ReputationRep:
    When I was youngrt I loved Artemis Fowl books and now I feel like reading them again because its been like 5 years since I last read them.and omg I feel like reading the whole series now.

Also SkullDuggery was maaaaad.

Ffs wish I read more fantasy when I was younger now I am occupied with other genres and I dont even have time FFFFF

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.