Beginners advice - to cut or bulk

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just looking for advice. I'm 5.7 and weigh 10.7 stone. I definitely have a case of skinny fat. People usually comment that I'm skinny but they don't see what's underneath my shirt lol..I titled my thread wrong so ignore that, basically I want to get rid of my skinny fat and look more athletic.

I go to the gym non consistently because of work, though they have recently opened a gym 10 minutes from my house so I plan on going least 4 times a week minimum. I also go kickboxing(1hour) once a week(have been doing it for 3 weeks) which is a very good cardio workout and I also have a punching bag in my room that I enjoy practising with all the time.

In recent times I have been making more effort to lift heavier in the gym and I have seen some increase in muscle and strength, though my diet was crap. I have gained weight(most of my life I have been 9.5 stone - 10 stone) I don't know if that's because of the increase in muscle or increase in fat from me eating more(my appetite has increased)

My usual daily diet for dinner consists of chicken/pork/beef/fish/prawns with brown rice(always brown). Chicken katsu curry, chicken soup, roast beef, grilled salmon, things like that...Occasionally if I'm out I have a hot dog, pizza or a burger, though I do try to avoid these as much as possible, it just can't be helped sometimes. Chocolate, icecream and cakes are my downfall! though I am trying to limit myself with these to once or twice a week at most.

My usual gym session consists of squats(5 sets, 10 reps at 5kg each side), bench press(same stats as above, maybe 2 more sets), alternating dumbbell curls(5 sets, 10 reps, 18/20kg dumbbell), tricep dumbbell extensions using both arms at once (5 sets, 10 reps, 10kg, crunches x4 sets 20reps and then sometimes a 5 minute treadmill session at the end.

Not gonna lie sometimes I'm lazy and I don't do all of those, but I usually at least do squats, dumbbell curls, tricep extensions and then one of the machines for my back or occasionally some deadlifts.

I've attached pics of my body. I have a gut I really want to get rid of and some annoying man boobs. I'm not aiming to be super ripped or like a body builder. I just want to have a flat belly and some muscular arms and shoulders so that I at least look athletic and healthy. I guess kinda like UFC fighter Lyoto Machida and Conor Mcgregor at Lightweight

Name:  File 30-09-2016, 16 38 23.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  391.1 KBAttachment 583668583670Attachment 583668583670583700Attachment 583668583670583700
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Cut

Read the FAQ

Flick back through the last few pages of fitness and read advice to other noob lifters

Get a proper programme

Decided if you'd rather be lazy or make real progress

Use My Fitness Pal or Cronomter or similar to actually pay attention to what you eat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Cut

Read the FAQ

Flick back through the last few pages of fitness and read advice to other noob lifters

Get a proper programme

Decided if you'd rather be lazy or make real progress

Use My Fitness Pal or Cronomter or similar to actually pay attention to what you eat
    PRSOM.

Succinct

ReputationRep:
    Why do either?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.