The Student Room Group

Bossy grumpy new flatmate (no surprise training to be a policeman)

Moved in 2 weeks ago but didn't stay for freshers just moved stuff in and as I am in only 3 days a week I spent time away at friends.

When I met him I thought he was a miserable sod but thought he was just tired.

Came back and every flatmate has said the same thing about him and how hes quite intimidating towards other students and playing up "im training to be a policeman"

I found out he intimidated the other students into buying a tv license because HE watches Iplayer but other students don't (and internet hasn't be installed yet) and when I discussed it with him he said "its only like £30 each" then went on to imply that people watch iplayer anyway then also saying "if you haven't got anything to hide you wouldn't complain about a license"

He obviously hasn't been as intimidating with me as im 10 years older and very big built (fat but also built like a rugby player) and I stood up to him stating the actual law on tv licensing and he had no argument for it and just replied like "oh but they might change the law again"

Then he said as hes studying to be a policeman he didn't want to do anything that would put that at risk.

What shall I do next? Don't want to be petty and report him to LL, but will not pay money for his benefit but don't want to cause an argument either.
He can't make you pay for something you don't want.
Original post by Anonymous
Moved in 2 weeks ago but didn't stay for freshers just moved stuff in and as I am in only 3 days a week I spent time away at friends.

When I met him I thought he was a miserable sod but thought he was just tired.

Came back and every flatmate has said the same thing about him and how hes quite intimidating towards other students and playing up "im training to be a policeman"

I found out he intimidated the other students into buying a tv license because HE watches Iplayer but other students don't (and internet hasn't be installed yet) and when I discussed it with him he said "its only like £30 each" then went on to imply that people watch iplayer anyway then also saying "if you haven't got anything to hide you wouldn't complain about a license"

He obviously hasn't been as intimidating with me as im 10 years older and very big built (fat but also built like a rugby player) and I stood up to him stating the actual law on tv licensing and he had no argument for it and just replied like "oh but they might change the law again"

Then he said as hes studying to be a policeman he didn't want to do anything that would put that at risk.

What shall I do next? Don't want to be petty and report him to LL, but will not pay money for his benefit but don't want to cause an argument either.

Well, like you say, you've already let him know you're not the sort to be bullied so show him what a big lad you are and let him know you're not coughing up for the licence. If you give in to him, something else will come along he wants to be a princess about - it's always the way with bullies. Get the rest of the flat mates together with him and let him know what's what.
Reply 3
The other flatmates will use their personal experiences to reach maturity in their own time. If you do not wish to contribute toward a tv licence and are not breaching the licencing rules, make that clearly known to all concerned.

Really, this guy can be as bossy and grumpy as he likes. It's for those encountering him to send him on his way with a firm but polite 'No'. And if he isn't your cup of tea, steer clear of him. He will soon get the message and pipe down.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending