Been invited to pre-drinks but I don't drink...should I go or should I not?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This week is freshers week at my uni and I live at home which is about 20 miles away. I've already made a couple of friends and they've invited me to go clubbing and to go to pre-drinks before clubbing at one of their flats. One slight problem though. I don't drink. One of my friends knows I don't drink and she was the one that invited me to come along. I don't know whether to go or not. I know that it will end up with drinking games and I'd probably feel uncomfortable sitting out and watching everyone else having fun. But at the same time I don't want to miss out cos it could be an opportunity to meet new people and everyone will go together from the flat to the club. Is it worth going or not? How can I still have fun whilst I'm at pre drinks and what would you do if you were in my position? I'm fine with clubbing cos I can still dance and have fun, it's just the pre drinks. I don't want people to think "What is she even doing here if she doesn't drink?"

ReputationRep:
    No. There are other ways to make friends - I don't drink and I didn't have to change myself or do stuff I wasn't interested in to make friends. Find some people with common interests other than getting smashed, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Just go. You don't need to drink to enjoy yourself. I have friends that come in to town with us that don't drink. I don't get why you'd feel uncomfortable... Once you've been you'll see that nobody cares, and nobody will make a big deal out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtverlol)
    This week is freshers week at my uni and I live at home which is about 20 miles away. I've already made a couple of friends and they've invited me to go clubbing and to go to pre-drinks before clubbing at one of their flats. One slight problem though. I don't drink. One of my friends knows I don't drink and she was the one that invited me to come along. I don't know whether to go or not. I know that it will end up with drinking games and I'd probably feel uncomfortable sitting out and watching everyone else having fun. But at the same time I don't want to miss out cos it could be an opportunity to meet new people and everyone will go together from the flat to the club. Is it worth going or not? How can I still have fun whilst I'm at pre drinks and what would you do if you were in my position? I'm fine with clubbing cos I can still dance and have fun, it's just the pre drinks. I don't want people to think "What is she even doing here if she doesn't drink?"
    Hello ,

Yes! Of course - there is no reason you shouldn't go. Just because you don't drink it doesn't matter, no one is going to judge you because no one is that shallow at university. They'll welcome you and include you and they won't make a drink. Just take some coke or something to drink during the night and what then because then you can still join in games and what not.
    Like you said it'll be a great way to make friends and you'll have a great time! Honestly just go and enjoy yourself and make some friends!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello ,
    >a comma after a smiley

Name:  161e593a97793e47ea41e93022782f17.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  31.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    I played drinking games with water and it was fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you should still go as it's a great way to make friends and meet new people- especially since you're living at home!

Just take along some soft drinks and play drinking games with that- although in my experience you're more likely to find that people are more focused on chatting than the game itself- whenever I've been to predrinks drinking games are simply background noise!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.