Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What should I do for this situation?

ReputationRep:
    I failed my first year in a undergraduate course, because I failed my re-sit exam. My school allowed me to repeat the year in attendance. However, they told me that I can not repeat in this year, because there is no vacancy in the first year. (the course started just for a week.)
    How is that happened? Does everyone failed first year have to wait a year to repeat? I really want to start repeating now. What should I do? Can I persuade the director of study?
    Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alufas)
    I failed my first year in a undergraduate course, because I failed my re-sit exam. My school allowed me to repeat the year in attendance. However, they told me that I can not repeat in this year, because there is no vacancy in the first year. (the course started just for a week.)
    How is that happened? Does everyone failed first year have to wait a year to repeat? I really want to start repeating now. What should I do? Can I persuade the director of study?
    Thank you very much.
    A uni can set its own rules and regulations. As far as I know, they are entitled to say that new applicants take priority if places on a course are limited. Make sure you have their guarantee in writing that you have a place for your resit next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alufas)
    Thank you very much.
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about that situation.
    Unfortunately the previous poster is correct and it's down to the university. They can set their own rules and decide how they accept people onto the course. I'd say you could talk to the director of study and see if you can put forward a case, the worse they can say is no again.

However, if not, I'd use the the year out to prepare for when you do start back. Get a job, save up some money and start preparing for the modules again when you start back!

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    A uni can set its own rules and regulations. As far as I know, they are entitled to say that new applicants take priority if places on a course are limited. Make sure you have their guarantee in writing that you have a place for your resit next year.
    Ok, thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about that situation.
    Unfortunately the previous poster is correct and it's down to the university. They can set their own rules and decide how they accept people onto the course. I'd say you could talk to the director of study and see if you can put forward a case, the worse they can say is no again.

However, if not, I'd use the the year out to prepare for when you do start back. Get a job, save up some money and start preparing for the modules again when you start back!

Best of luck!
    Thank you for your kind answer. I think it's a good idea to get a job. However, I am an international student. I can only work 20 hours a week due to my VISA type. About preparing for the modules, it doesn't cost too much time. So, most time of the year will be wasted. I am so sad about that.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.