Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get 1st job with no work experience..? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Let's say I quit uni 1st year, didn't bother getting a job for a few years afterwards.

So I have a gap of a few years with nothing.
    Now I want to get my first job.

How do I achieve this?

I'm just looking for simple entry level retail stuff, like minimum wage starter jobs at Tesco, Sainsburys, Pret etc.

How do I get started with no work experience?
    Really simple question, but I simply have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelmystery)
    Let's say I quit uni 1st year, didn't bother getting a job for a few years afterwards.

How do I achieve this?

I'm just looking for simple entry level retail stuff, like minimum wage starter jobs at Tesco, Sainsburys, Pret etc.

Make a application. Get a interview and wreck your way in by saying what you have in your possession of grades and skills.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, apply for jobs, but look into doing volunteering as you do so. Employers may question the gaps on your CV. Also, volunteering can give you many skills and scenarios to discuss in interviews.

ReputationRep:

How do I achieve this?

You probably have more relevant experience than you think you have. Did you do any volunteering or anything like DofE in secondary school? Did you do anything like presentations or group work in the first year of your university or in your A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Go for the slightly more menial jobs, as there's much less interest in them. Things such as kitchen porter/pot washer. I applied and got called for a chat with the head chef, and as soon as he saw I was a fairly trustworthy person he hired me. Plus I get paid about 4 times what most people my age get!

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at the person specifications of relevant positions (try the jobcentre website). Plan how you would demonstrate via application and interview what personal qualities and informal experience you do possess which are transferable to the workplace.

It isn't only about prior paid experience with entry level posts. It's about how confident you are that you can fulfill the requirements of the role.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Stop thinking about it in terms of 'work experience', what employers are looking for is simply transferable 'experience'. So break the job down intot he specific skills that are needed, eg money handling, customer service, initiative, organisation, creativity or whatever, and then write a CV that gives evidence (not just claims in a Key Skills list) that you have those skills.

If you really don't have any evidence of those skills, then you are going to have to get evidence in a way that no-one will risk paying you for, ie volunteering. However, chances are, that unless you have been very inactive, you can transfer the right evidence for most entry level jobs, from somewhere in your life experiences (that's why they are entry level).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What have you been doing during those few years?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    You need to fill your CV out with things that employers will look as beneficial to them: team work, dedications, organisational skills, confidence etc. You should back these up with examples of a time when you have demonstrated these elements.

Have you done any volunteering/freelance work? Have you been travelling? Working on a skill/hobby?

This article might be of help to you as well. It's what to put on your CV if you don't have any work experience: http://advice.milkround.com/how-to-w...k-experience-2

Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:

How do I achieve this?

http://www.indeed.co.uk/No-Experience-jobs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.