B1062 – Low Emission Zones (Extension) Bill 2016

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    B1062 – Low Emission Zones (Extension) Bill 2016, TSR Green Party
    The Low Emission Zones (Extension) Bill 2016
    A BILL TO
    Extend the provision of the Low Emission Zone Act 2016 to more towns and cities

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The Low Emission Zone Act 2016 requirements shall be extended to those towns, cities and Boroughs listed in clause 2 of the Bill.

2. The places where this Bill will apply shall be as follows:

Aberdeen, Bath, Bury, Cambridge, Derry, Doncaster, Dundee, Medway, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Northampton, Nottingham, Oxford, Portsmouth, Reading, Rochdale, Rotherham, Slough, Stockton, Thurrock, Trafford, Watford, and York.

Title and Commencement

3. This Bill shall be known as the Low Emission Zone (Extension) Bill 2016
    4. This Bill shall apply to the United Kingdom
    5. This Bill shall take effect from 1st January 2017.

Note

The selection of these additional places has been made taking into account a mixture of the size of the place, if they are a historic city where more narrow streets than average may be found, and also those where more than an average proportion of cyclists are expected to be using the roads/streets.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    I know you explained in your notes why those places but why those criteria? Surely you should be targeting areas with less than average bike use to try and make it more common there?

ReputationRep:
    Seems it's not only Labour that break **** bills into lots of pieces.

ReputationRep:
    You wait ages for a Green bill and then two come along almost at once.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Manufacturing a car creates as much carbon as driving it.

A 2004 analysis by Toyota found that as much as 28 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the lifecycle of a typical gasoline-powered car can occur during its manufacture and its transportation to the dealer; the remaining emissions occur during driving once its new owner takes possession.

And don't forget that the new hybrids‚ despite lower emissions and better gas mileage‚ actually have a much larger environmental impact in their manufacture, compared to non-hybrids. The batteries that store energy for the drive train are no friend to the environment‚ and having two engines under one hood increases manufacturing emissions. And all-electric vehicles are only emission-free if the outlet providing the juice is connected to a renewable energy source, not a coal-burning power plant, as is more likely.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-ecofriendly/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    You wait ages for a Green bill and then two come along almost at once.
    I think it might even be 3.

ReputationRep:
    Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I know you explained in your notes why those places but why those criteria? Surely you should be targeting areas with less than average bike use to try and make it more common there?
    Where there are narrow streets and high cycling use, the emissions are more likely to harm the health of those walking and cycling.

ReputationRep:
    abstain

ReputationRep:
    I need to think carefully about this one. Ideally it would be good to have fewer cars in historic cities but the practical side is one which does bother me. I would like to see the notes significantly expanded for a second reading as I don't see a particularly strong argument in favour at the moment. However, I may be persuaded to vote aye.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support this.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First a very clear rip off of my First Aid stuff from a couple terms back and now my Low Emission Zone bill? Damn, y'all must love me over there.

Nay though, if you'd bothered doing any research into this you'd see that Oxford and Nottingham already have schemes which is why they were not going to be introduced in my bill.

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.