M406 - Full Drug Decriminalisation

ReputationRep:
    M406 - Full Drug Decriminalisation, TSR Liberal Party

This house believes each individual should be responsible for their own actions. Furthermore, this house trusts individuals to act in their own self interest. However, this house understands that individuals sometimes make choices that are perceived to be against that individuals own self interest.

This house supports the right of an individual to do as they please as long as they are within the law and do not harm another individual.

This house notes the successes of Portugal including a reduction in the spread of HIV and AIDS, a decline in drug use for those aged between 15 and 24, the age-group most at risk of initiating drug use and a huge decrease in death due to drugs use.

Therefore, this house calls upon Her Majesty's Government to decriminalise all drugs currently made illegal under the Misuse of Drugs act, but only if an individual possesses a drug for personal use.

Notes
    This is a short motion just to see how much of the house supports Full Drug Decriminalisation. I'm happy to write the bill myself if this passes, but I wanted to measure support first.

Source for Portugal Statistics - http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/drug-dec...ecord-straight

ReputationRep:
    So basically the Tories decided not to go along with your drugs bill and now you are doing it via a motion because of some unknown reason.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, party in government makes a motion...not the first time Liberals have done this though, how about a bill to be rejected, or is that too much work?

ReputationRep:
    Well I agree with this in principle, but this is hypocritical given that the Liberals have criminalised a number of drugs in government this term. Also, motions call on the government to do something, and you guys are inthe bloody government, so try and put a bill out if you actually want the situation to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So basically the Tories decided not to go along with your drugs bill and now you are doing it via a motion because of some unknown reason.
    The Tory Leadership are in favour somewhat (I know mobbsy is completely and I think LP is in favour of some decriminalisation if not all drugs) but the Tory membership is more mixed. As I've said in the notes, this is for me and my party to work out how much support this has. If it's something the house support but the Tories as a whole do not, I'll just do it myself. If it's something both the House and the Tories support, I'll do it with the help of my Government colleagues.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, party in government makes a motion...not the first time Liberals have done this though, how about a bill to be rejected, or is that too much work?
    A motion by a party in Government and a motion by the Government are two entirely different things, and if it's any consolation, I let LP and mobbsy this was going up.

A bill isn't too much work at all, but I'd rather not waste the little free time I have now that I've restarted college on something that won't pass, so this is simply to work out if it's passable or not.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but also changes should be made to introduce injection centres, which would be “clinically controlled environments” that would aim to prevent already vulnerable individuals from exposing themselves to further risks. Ireland have starting doing this as part of a "radical cultural shift".
    I am firmly of the view that there needs to be a cultural shift in how we regard substance misuse if we are to break this cycle and make a serious attempt to tackle drug and alcohol addiction.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6719136.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    The Tory Leadership are in favour somewhat (I know mobbsy is completely and I think LP is in favour of some decriminalisation if not all drugs) but the Tory membership is more mixed. As I've said in the notes, this is for me and my party to work out how much support this has. If it's something the house support but the Tories as a whole do not, I'll just do it myself. If it's something both the House and the Tories support, I'll do it with the help of my Government colleagues.

A motion by a party in Government and a motion by the Government are two entirely different things, and if it's any consolation, I let LP and mobbsy this was going up.

A bill isn't too much work at all, but I'd rather not waste the little free time I have now that I've restarted college on something that won't pass, so this is simply to work out if it's passable or not.
    It just seems very strange and I don't see why you can't have made LP stick to the coalition deal where he agreed to drug decriminalisation as a government policy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It just seems very strange and I don't see why you can't have made LP stick to the coalition deal where he agreed to drug decriminalisation as a government policy...
    That's only for Class C (and Class B I think but I'll have to double check). I've decided to push for full

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Aye, but also changes should be made to introduce injection centres, which would be “clinically controlled environments” that would aim to prevent already vulnerable individuals from exposing themselves to further risks. Ireland have starting doing this as part of a "radical cultural shift".
    I am firmly of the view that there needs to be a cultural shift in how we regard substance misuse if we are to break this cycle and make a serious attempt to tackle drug and alcohol addiction.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6719136.html
    I completely agree with you and I'll add it in for a second reading/division.

I know it's been successful in Switzerland too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's only for Class C (and Class B I think but I'll have to double check). I've decided to push for full

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've decided to push for complete decriminalisation...after criminalising drugs

ReputationRep:
    You've decided to push for complete decriminalisation...after criminalising drugs
    We took drugs that were legalised and criminalised them. I'm simply reverting them to being decriminalised rather than legalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We took drugs that were legalised and criminalised them. I'm simply reverting them to being decriminalised rather than legalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or, you know, you could have not decriminalised in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Given a motion calls on the government to do something, I absolutely don't want a Tory government legalising drugs in the way they think best. Make it more specific (it is essential that a legalised market be heavily regulated), or propose a Bill.

ReputationRep:
    Or, you know, you could have not decriminalised in the first place?
    I made it clear I was against it, and I wasn't an MP at the time anyway. I'm still unhappy we did it and unhappy it passed but I don't regret not vetoing it.

I'm making it clear that this is the line my party at the very least will be taking, and I want to see how many in the house support it, so rather than berating me for what I'm doing, why not actually debate the contents of the motion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay. Given a motion calls on the government to do something, I absolutely don't want a Tory government legalising drugs in the way they think best. Make it more specific (it is essential that a legalised market be heavily regulated), or propose a Bill.
    Decriminalisation and legalisation are two different things. Whilst I personally support legalisation, I didn't think it would have a feasible chance of passing. There also isn't much evidence in favour of it. Decriminalisation, on the other hand, had plenty of evidence in favour of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Decriminalisation and legalisation are two different things. Whilst I personally support legalisation, I didn't think it would have a feasible chance of passing. There also isn't much evidence in favour of it. Decriminalisation, on the other hand, had plenty of evidence in favour of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree that decriminalisation is different from legalisation. What is proposed by this motion may make it easier to treat drug addicts, but will do little if anything to end the illegal trade in drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Did someone say 'u-turn'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I agree that decriminalisation is different from legalisation. What is proposed by this motion may make it easier to treat drug addicts, but will do little if anything to end the illegal trade in drugs.
    This is true. Again, my own preference is legalisation. If enough of the house prefer legalisation, I am more than happy to pursue that instead. I just didn't think it'd have the support

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Did someone say 'u-turn'?
    Tbf, it's been a complete circle, but shhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.