The Student Room Group

Free Economics Essays and Economics Help

Hi guys. I am student that is now studying economics at UCL, but in my spare time I have decided to write economics essays (for A-Levels) and answer people's economics-related questions. The essays will all be available on dropbox, and I hope to do this for all of the exam boards, but my main focus will be on OCR, Edexcel and AQA (WJEC and IB will still have some content, however). Many essays, however,are relevant to all of the exam boards, and so the dropbox folders for each of the exam boards will have some essays that are specific to the exam board, but also essays from other ones when there is overlap.

I will be producing essays on a weekly or fortnightly basis simply of my own accord. If any of you, however, do have a particular essay you want written, just post it in the thread (or message me) and I will consider writing it (or asking someone else to), assuming that it sounds like a worthwhile essay request. The link below contains a link to all of the free resources so far.

DISCLAIMER (To Students and Moderators) - This is NOT any sort of essay writing service for university students (to cheat on assignments), but rather just a large stockpile / archive of A-level economics essays that can serve as useful references when trying to write model answer essays for economics.

Free Resources / Essays:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63tmfqty2syk5dv/AABURfjfg29o-rNufXLjVM-5a?dl=0

Below, I will also post a link to a website of other economics resources (some of mine are linked there as well) that is being run by another university undergraduate.

StudyWise (Economics Page):
http://studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision/economics/

Lastly, I will simply be answering questions from anyone who posts in this thread, and I plan to go through all unanswered questions at least once a week, but do bear in mind that I may not have time to get back to all of you as I am still in university. That about wraps things up. I hope that I can be of help to all of you and make your economics revision faster, and a bit less painless haha :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can you please do brief overview notes for macro and micro
plus any exam tips for A2 students on how to remember AS context ????
Thank you
Hi, I'm doing A2 AQA economics and I'm doing good at it but I need some help on a homework where we're meant to find out the multiplier for the London 2012 Olympics. How do I do this?
Reply 3
Original post by Unknown2205
Can you please do brief overview notes for macro and micro
plus any exam tips for A2 students on how to remember AS context ????
Thank you

For memorising AS content, my strategy would be to not concern myself with it until about 3 months or so before exams. This is because anything you remember now will likely be forgotten quite quickly, and so the only thing worth doing now in terms of AS content would be ensuring that you understand the concepts and theory. Memorising definitions, for example, now, would likely be inefficient and just end up being wasted energy. It is for such reasons that once it hits roughly the Easter holidays, I would take about a week or two out just to memorise all of AS micro and macro. The strategy I would use to memorise them is below:

Memorise 10-20 pages of your notes on day 1 (depending on how content heavy the set of pages you are memorising are, and also on your personal ability to retain information)

Next, I would make sure that on day 2 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 1, before I move onto the next (new) 10-20 pages I had planned to memorise on day 2

I would then make sure that on day 3 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 2, and so on and so forth

Once I had gone through my entire set of notes, I would then try to go over the whole set of notes in 1 day (2 days if 1 day is unrealistic / unmanageable). If you can't manage to get it down to even 2 days, then I would try 3 or 4 days, but I would advise that you ensure that you gradually get fast enough that you could do it in 2 days (or even 1). Once you get it down to 1 or 2 days, I would then take two days out of every week to repeat the process of memorising and regurgitating / recalling all of the important parts of the notes by heart. I would just do this up until exam day, regurgitate everything, and then move on with my life hahaha.

As far as making notes for micro and macro go, I will see what I can manage to do, although at this point, I think I will just stick with essays. If you do want more personal help, however, I will ensure that you can get added to a facebook chat for your subject (and level) once someone decides to create a group for it.

Hope I have been of help. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
Hi, I'm doing A2 AQA economics and I'm doing good at it but I need some help on a homework where we're meant to find out the multiplier for the London 2012 Olympics. How do I do this?

Did they give you any figures for this, or did they just expect you to do some random research online? I would probably need more specific detail in order to help, but from the sounds of it, it seems like one of those annoying / vague questions that probably isn't going to help much with economics A-level. Whatever the case, just send me back some more detail on the homework assignment and I will see if I can help :smile:
Original post by KevinLonge
Hi guys. I am student that is now studying economics at UCL, but in my spare time I have decided to write economics essays (for A-Levels) and answer people's economics-related questions. The essays will all be available on dropbox, and I hope to do this for all of the exam boards, but my main focus will be on OCR, Edexcel and AQA (WJEC and IB will still have some content, however).

As of now, I have currently produced 8 individual essays on dropbox, four of which are from OCR practice papers, with the rest being from Edexcel. Many essays, however,are relevant to all of the exam boards, and so the dropbox folders for each of the exam boards will have some essays that are specific to the exam board, but also essays from other ones when there is overlap. I will be producing essays on a weekly or fortnightly basis simply of my own accord. If any of you, however, do have a particular essay you want written, just post it in the thread (or message me) and I will consider writing it, assuming that it sounds like a worthwhile essay request. The link below contains a link to all of the free resources so far.

Free Resources / Essays:

In addition to all of this, I am also happy to join facebook chats for any of the exam boards, so long as someone else is willing to manage the chat in terms of who can join, how many people can join etc... If any of you are interested in starting a facebook chat for your exam board and want to have me in it, just send me a message, and I will add your username to the list below so that people can message you if they want to join.

OCR (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

OCR (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

Edexcel (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

Edexcel (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

AQA (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

AQA (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

WJEC (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

WJEC (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

IB (SL/HL Core) Chat Leader:

IB (HL/HL Extension) Chat Leader:

Lastly, I will simply be answering questions from anyone who posts in this thread, and I plan to go through all unanswered questions at least once a week, but do bear in mind that I may not have time to get back to all of you as I am still in university. That about wraps things up. I hope that I can be of help to all of you and make your economics revision faster, and a bit less painless haha :smile:

Thank you SO much for the economics essays and resources for OCR AS economics! I have just started the course and they look very helpful!:biggrin: Also do you have any tips on how to get an A at AS?x
(edited 7 years ago)
Did they give you any figures for this, or did they just expect you to do some random research online? I would probably need more specific detail in order to help, but from the sounds of it, it seems like one of those annoying / vague questions that probably isn't going to help much with economics A-level. Whatever the case, just send me back some more detail on the homework assignment and I will see if I can help :smile:

Some random search. Its a random assignment that isn't really linked to the course but the teacher expects highly of me, so I always do the assignments to the top level.
If it helps, I've calculated that the total cost of the olympics was £8.77bn.
All i need to figure out is the mpc, because 1/1-mpc would give me the multiplier but I have no idea how to go about that
Reply 7
Original post by sunshine774
Thank you SO much for the economics essays and resources for OCR AS economics! I have just started the course and they look very helpful!:biggrin: Also do you have any tips on how to get an A at AS?x

Make sure that you understand the concepts and theories early, and ideally learn all of the content well before you ever see it in class (this way lessons become more like revision sessions where you can deal with pinpoint problems). Youtubers like econplusdal, and websites like economicshelp or economicsonline are great for this (learning theory)

Memorise your notes at least a couple of months before exams, not because you have to, but because cramming last minute can be extremely stressful (although it can definitely work if you are willing to do it) - look at my memorisation tips in one of the earlier posts if you need help with that

Practice writing essays as soon as possible. I would aim to try and do about 1 a week (once you have finished the syllabus at home, of course) and maybe even once every three or four days once exams begin closing in

Make sure, particularly in your case (as you are on OCR), to read the specification fully, as the main endorsed book is actually missing quite a lot of content from the specification, which could really come back to screw you over later if you are not careful

Make or join online facebook chats with other people who are determined to do really well in economics (I know this helped me a lot during A2 / A-Level Year 2), because being in a group of like-minded people will make it easier for you to gauge how much work you should be doing at particular points in time

Remember that in exams it is, unfortunately, better to be safe than sorry. This means recognising that you are adhering to a system and that using content outside the specification may actually harm you, rather than aid you. Also make sure you know standard go-to evaluative points in essays such as assumes ceteris paribus (other factors may change), depends on the extent, depends on the level of spare capacity, depends on business and/or consumer confidence, opportunity cost (of government spending), supply-side policies may not work or may take a very long time etc...

There may be other points, but those are the general ones I could think up off of the top of my head. Glad to hear that you are finding the essays useful. Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you have any :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hxfsxh
Some random search. Its a random assignment that isn't really linked to the course but the teacher expects highly of me, so I always do the assignments to the top level.
If it helps, I've calculated that the total cost of the olympics was £8.77bn.
All i need to figure out is the mpc, because 1/1-mpc would give me the multiplier but I have no idea how to go about that

My guess is that your teacher either wants you to:

Find out the amount of value that the olympics brought in in terms of revenue from tourism, tickets etc..

Or find out what GDP increased by that year, relative to the spending on the olympics

The problem with the first one is that the multiplier is usually more to do with changes in in injections (e.g. investment) and their effects on GDP, so finding out option number 1 isn't really finding out the multiplier, but it could be what your teacher wants. The problem with the second one is that it wouldn't be accurate to attribute all of the growth in the economy to effects of the 2012 London Olympics, so that would also be a bit inaccurate.

Regardless, I will tell you how I would go about doing either of them. In the case of the first one, if the olympics was estimated to generate £100bn, for example, in terms of revenue, the way you would find the multiplier would simply be by doing (100bn)/8.77bn) = 11.4 (3sf), and that would be your answer. In the case of the second one, if GDP increased by, let's say £150bn, you would then simply do (150)/(8.77) =17.1 (3sf), and that would be your answer. Remember that the multiplier doesn't have to be found out with 1/(1-MPC) or 1/MPW, it can also just be done by simple maths if you are given the right values.

On a side note, I understand that your teacher expects highly of you, but be careful not to get sidetracked into doing too much superficial stuff which isn't of much value. I know that, during A-Levels, I would also sometimes get homework which was completely pointless and not a good use of my time. The question soon becomes, should I spend 1 hour doing a homework task that will provide me with little to no value, or watch 1 hours worth of econplusdal videos that could allow me to be ahead of the class for the next 5-6 weeks. I would just keep this in mind for when exams get close, because you ultimately want to make sure you get the best possible grade with, ideally, the least possible effort and time.

Hope I have been of some help on this question, although I would suggest asking your teacher for more detail if possible (the question is still quite vague) :smile:
Reply 9
Hi guys. I am student that is now studying economics at UCL, but in my spare time I have decided to write economics essays (for A-Levels) and answer people's economics-related questions. The essays will all be available on dropbox, and I hope to do this for all of the exam boards, but my main focus will be on OCR, Edexcel and AQA (WJEC and IB will still have some content, however).

As of now, I have currently produced 8 individual essays on dropbox, four of which are from OCR practice papers, with the rest being from Edexcel. Many essays, however,are relevant to all of the exam boards, and so the dropbox folders for each of the exam boards will have some essays that are specific to the exam board, but also essays from other ones when there is overlap. I will be producing essays on a weekly or fortnightly basis simply of my own accord. If any of you, however, do have a particular essay you want written, just post it in the thread (or message me) and I will consider writing it, assuming that it sounds like a worthwhile essay request. The link below contains a link to all of the free resources so far.

Free Resources / Essays:

In addition to all of this, I am also happy to join facebook chats for any of the exam boards, so long as someone else is willing to manage the chat in terms of who can join, how many people can join etc... If any of you are interested in starting a facebook chat for your exam board and want to have me in it, just send me a message, and I will add your username to the list below so that people can message you if they want to join.

OCR (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

OCR (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

Edexcel (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

Edexcel (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

AQA (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

AQA (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

WJEC (A-Level Year 1 and AS) Chat Leader:

WJEC (A-Level Year 2) Chat Leader:

IB (SL/HL Core) Chat Leader:

IB (HL/HL Extension) Chat Leader:

Hi, these essays are going to be very useful as an A2 student I suspect. So far A2 seems far harder than AS (in terms of essays) and i wasn't that great at the AS 20 markers!
So thank you in advance, and could I ask how much similar essay writing you have done at university? I am considering reading economics or Economics and maths, but i prefer learning economic theory and applying it to solve problems to essays, so i want to gauge what I'm letting my self in for!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by yelash
Hi, these essays are going to be very useful as an A2 student I suspect. So far A2 seems far harder than AS (in terms of essays) and i wasn't that great at the AS 20 markers!
So thank you in advance, and could I ask how much similar essay writing you have done at university? I am considering reading economics or Economics and maths, but i prefer learning economic theory and applying it to solve problems to essays, so i want to gauge what I'm letting my self in for!

At most higher level universities, essays in economics are a thing of the past, so you will really end up doing a lot of maths and theory rather than writing essays. In truth, I have only just started uni, but based on the books it is very clear to see that it is heavily mathematical, so make sure you are prepared for that. I am preferring it (to A-Levels) at the moment anyway haha.

Also, no problem for the essays, I plan to make more soon as well. If someone ends up making a facebook chat for your subject, I will make sure to get you added if you want. If no one makes one in the next month or two, however, I will just make my own. The only reason I didn't want to make my own is because I didn't want to have to deal with controlling the admission of people + when groups are self-created, they tend to be self-sufficient, whereas if I make it, people may just join to ask me questions, rather than ever discussing amongst themselves, but I will see. Hope I have been of help. Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you have any :smile:

what kind of silly teacher says "find the multiplier for Olympics" hahah - 30 marks
Reply 12
Original post by azizadil1998
what kind of silly teacher says "find the multiplier for Olympics" hahah - 30 marks

At most higher level universities, essays in economics are a thing of the past, so you will really end up doing a lot of maths and theory rather than writing essays. In truth, I have only just started uni, but based on the books it is very clear to see that it is heavily mathematical, so make sure you are prepared for that. I am preferring it (to A-Levels) at the moment anyway haha.

Also, no problem for the essays, I plan to make more soon as well. If someone ends up making a facebook chat for your subject, I will make sure to get you added if you want. If no one makes one in the next month or two, however, I will just make my own. The only reason I didn't want to make my own is because I didn't want to have to deal with controlling the admission of people + when groups are self-created, they tend to be self-sufficient, whereas if I make it, people may just join to ask me questions, rather than ever discussing amongst themselves, but I will see. Hope I have been of help. Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you have any :smile:

Sounds like the sort of question OCR likes to ask XD (or at least with that little information!). As for facebook groups we have a chat for our economics class, but its difficult to find people from other schools other than through e.g. the student room
Reply 13
Original post by yelash
Sounds like the sort of question OCR likes to ask XD (or at least with that little information!). As for facebook groups we have a chat for our economics class, but its difficult to find people from other schools other than through e.g. the student room

Sounds good enough to be honest. Assuming you are happy to deal with whether or not you let people in, I can update the thread so that it shows you as a chat leader (for either AS or A-Level year 2, depending on where you are at the moment). Feel free to invite me to the chat as well. My facebook is just the same as my tsr account (Kevin Longe) :smile:
Banter
Economics init ?
Original post by yelash

whats ur fb group?
Reply 16
Original post by azizadil1998
whats ur fb group?

its a chat not a group, just among people in our class to discuss homework (and sometimes other things :P ). I'll ask them if they want some help from someone thats done it already thanks kevin. can't find u on facebook btw- is it Long or Longe? I can only find kevin longs
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by yelash
its a chat not a group, just among people in our class to discuss homework (and sometimes other things :P ). I'll ask them if they want some help from someone thats done it already thanks kevin. can't find u on facebook btw- is it Long or Longe? I can only find kevin longs

It's Kevin Longe. If you still can't find me, just send me your fb in a pm :smile:
For memorising AS content, my strategy would be to not concern myself with it until about 3 months or so before exams. This is because anything you remember now will likely be forgotten quite quickly, and so the only thing worth doing now in terms of AS content would be ensuring that you understand the concepts and theory. Memorising definitions, for example, now, would likely be inefficient and just end up being wasted energy. It is for such reasons that once it hits roughly the Easter holidays, I would take about a week or two out just to memorise all of AS micro and macro. The strategy I would use to memorise them is below:

Memorise 10-20 pages of your notes on day 1 (depending on how content heavy the set of pages you are memorising are, and also on your personal ability to retain information)

Next, I would make sure that on day 2 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 1, before I move onto the next (new) 10-20 pages I had planned to memorise on day 2

I would then make sure that on day 3 I go back over the 10-20 pages from day 2, and so on and so forth

Once I had gone through my entire set of notes, I would then try to go over the whole set of notes in 1 day (2 days if 1 day is unrealistic / unmanageable). If you can't manage to get it down to even 2 days, then I would try 3 or 4 days, but I would advise that you ensure that you gradually get fast enough that you could do it in 2 days (or even 1). Once you get it down to 1 or 2 days, I would then take two days out of every week to repeat the process of memorising and regurgitating / recalling all of the important parts of the notes by heart. I would just do this up until exam day, regurgitate everything, and then move on with my life hahaha.

As far as making notes for micro and macro go, I will see what I can manage to do, although at this point, I think I will just stick with essays. If you do want more personal help, however, I will ensure that you can get added to a facebook chat for your subject (and level) once someone decides to create a group for it.

Hope I have been of help. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you for the advice, I'll try out the revision method you suggested and if it works I'll carry on with it. I appreciate your help. :u:
Reply 19
Just updating this thread to say that I have made a new essay for AQA titled 'Exports Rising Faster than Imports Essay'. Honestly, I feel like the question was pretty unclear, but I managed to write an essay on it nonetheless. Additionally, I am now creating facebook chats for all of the exam boards, so message me early if you want to be a part of any of them :smile:

Latest