The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stressedteen
I do AQA as well, I'll private message you now!

Amazing!! No problem, always here to help :smile:. It's always good to do this because it reinforces my knowledge too, positive externalities :biggrin:!
Original post by Sk2001
Hi. I'm in year 11 and I'm considering doing Maths, Chemistry and Economics. Economics seems really interesting and I think it'll be different from your typical Maths and Science A Levels. I really enjoy Maths so I was wondering how maths based economics is and what sorts of things does the A Level involve learning? Also my school only allows 3 A Levels so I have the added stress of not being able to drop Economics at the end of year 12 in case I don't like it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

let me save you the trouble. Dont pick economics and thank me later. Absolute nonsense and bs of a subject. It is not interesting and I thought it was . it is different and its awful.
Please can some one help me with an economics exam question "with the help of a diagram, explain how collusion between energy suppliers could affect the retail prices paid by consumers" ???
Hello im having trouble with this essay question

“Should government intervene in the UK housing market, for example using subsidies, or leave the provision of housing to market forces. Using the data and your knowledge of economics, justify your answer”.

I first started off with how markets would work well. E.g fall in house prices individuals can buy houses via a mortgage.
Then in my next paragraph i mentioned that some people may not be granted mortgages based on their income. Also that housing can be considered a merit and that it’s a positive externality that firms may under produce so government intervention is required.

In my third paragraph i mentioned form of government intervention maybe subsiding those who are unable to pay for their houses.

up until here I’m stuck I don’t know how to evaluate a subsidy other than “it can be argued that government revenue can be spent elsewhere”.
What would your approach be to this essay and can you help me with evaluation and other factors I can talk about such us why they may not need to intervene
Reply 104
Original post by Ahmed_7394

“Should government intervene in the UK housing market, for example using subsidies, or leave the provision of housing to market forces. Using the data and your knowledge of economics, justify your answer”.

I first started off with how markets would work well. E.g fall in house prices individuals can buy houses via a mortgage.
Then in my next paragraph i mentioned that some people may not be granted mortgages based on their income. Also that housing can be considered a merit and that it’s a positive externality that firms may under produce so government intervention is required.

In my third paragraph i mentioned form of government intervention maybe subsiding those who are unable to pay for their houses.

up until here I’m stuck I don’t know how to evaluate a subsidy other than “it can be argued that government revenue can be spent elsewhere”.
What would your approach be to this essay and can you help me with evaluation and other factors I can talk about such us why they may not need to intervene

The question seems very much a pro or against Government intervention so it's pretty much pros and cons of each, and evaluating it. Then as the conclusion just bring in your judgement.

Seeing as the question doesn't exclusively want you to talk about subsidies, you could using other forms of government intervention like price controls.

For your evaluation you already touched on opportunity cost, but maybe bring in the possibility of Government failure.
Reply 105
Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me based off your experience and such, what is it that differentiates an A student and an A* student in Economics?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Ahmed_7394

For evaluation:
- opportunity cost, better spent elsewhere
- burden on government budget deficit
- firms becoming dependent on subsidy, unable to be self sufficient
- may not be sustainable in long run to keep providing funds to businesses
- depends on the PED to see effect on demand
- depends on PES to see effect on supply

Of course you don't need all of them but I just gave you everything I can think of ahah, hope that helps
Reply 107
Original post by Mr-anonymous
Sup dude,

I do maths, economics, computing and geography.

Only doing 3 alevels is more stressful however it's better I think as you focus on getting 3 good alevels rather than potentially getting 4 med/bad ones(grades).

Economics alevel is split into two parts, micro and macro one paper for each.
The maths in economics isn't difficult. It's just working out percentages from given values in either a graph or table. We calculate elasticity which is easy, just gotta know the formulas. Micro we cover government intervention, gov failure, public goods, inferior goods stuff like that. Macro is aggregate demand and the economy as a whole. It's interesting and I do enjoy it however you can't drop it after the first year as if you do you won't get an AS - doesn't apply to you as your only doing 3

Maths alevel on the other hand is difficult but not impossible. Currently Im doing c1, c2 and s1. C1 is easy however it's so so easy to make stupid mistakes.

HI sorry for the late reply and thanks for the help bit I was jist wanted to know which a levels you find easiest to hardest or are they all pretty similar.
Original post by Mr-anonymous
Sup dude,

I do maths, economics, computing and geography.

Only doing 3 alevels is more stressful however it's better I think as you focus on getting 3 good alevels rather than potentially getting 4 med/bad ones(grades).

Economics alevel is split into two parts, micro and macro one paper for each.
The maths in economics isn't difficult. It's just working out percentages from given values in either a graph or table. We calculate elasticity which is easy, just gotta know the formulas. Micro we cover government intervention, gov failure, public goods, inferior goods stuff like that. Macro is aggregate demand and the economy as a whole. It's interesting and I do enjoy it however you can't drop it after the first year as if you do you won't get an AS - doesn't apply to you as your only doing 3

Maths alevel on the other hand is difficult but not impossible. Currently Im doing c1, c2 and s1. C1 is easy however it's so so easy to make stupid mistakes.

Anytime you need help in Maths - I'm always here. I do Edexcel but I've done C3,4 too so different content is not a problem for the Core Modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

I am doing AQA Economics and am really finding structuring essays difficult. It seems like they are very different from history essays and so am not sure what technique to use, how many points to include, if you are trying to argue one view and knock the other side of it etc.
I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how to structure an essay as I have been getting conflicting advice from my teachers (one likes really short essays and paragraphs whilst the other prefers longer). I'm not really sure if the structure for macro and micro differ?
Also, is there a set way you should answer different types of questions (e.g. to what extent/macroeconomic objectives etc) as I have been told that I am using the wrong structure for certain questions?

Any help or advice would really be appreciated! (sorry for the long message!)
Thanks!! :smile:

P.S. Just wondering if they could literally ask any essay question as am really worried about that. Is there any way you could prepare for every possible question they could ask? Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KevinLonge
Hi guys. I am student that is now studying economics at UCL, but in my spare time I have decided to write economics essays (for A-Levels) and answer people's economics-related questions. The essays will all be available on dropbox, and I hope to do this for all of the exam boards, but my main focus will be on OCR, Edexcel and AQA (WJEC and IB will still have some content, however). Many essays, however,are relevant to all of the exam boards, and so the dropbox folders for each of the exam boards will have some essays that are specific to the exam board, but also essays from other ones when there is overlap.

I will be producing essays on a weekly or fortnightly basis simply of my own accord. If any of you, however, do have a particular essay you want written, just post it in the thread (or message me) and I will consider writing it (or asking someone else to), assuming that it sounds like a worthwhile essay request. The link below contains a link to all of the free resources so far.

DISCLAIMER (To Students and Moderators) - This is NOT any sort of essay writing service for university students (to cheat on assignments), but rather just a large stockpile / archive of A-level economics essays that can serve as useful references when trying to write model answer essays for economics.

Free Resources / Essays:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63tmfqty2syk5dv/AABURfjfg29o-rNufXLjVM-5a?dl=0

Below, I will also post a link to a website of other economics resources (some of mine are linked there as well) that is being run by another university undergraduate.

StudyWise (Economics Page):
http://studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision/economics/

Lastly, I will simply be answering questions from anyone who posts in this thread, and I plan to go through all unanswered questions at least once a week, but do bear in mind that I may not have time to get back to all of you as I am still in university. That about wraps things up. I hope that I can be of help to all of you and make your economics revision faster, and a bit less painless haha :smile:

Hi is it possible you could do an essay which is extremely common in microeconomics papers on leaving it to the free market
Many essays for aqa micro ask whether government should intervene or it should be left to the market when there is market failure however the argument of leaving it on the market when there is externalities for example is a difficult argument to make in depth and evaluate
Hey!!! I've got two quick economic-related questions that I want to gather as many opinions as possible. It would be really helpful if anyone can reply😊😊 so, the questions are:
1. "Cash is a fact. Profit is someone's opinion"
2. "Cash flow statement is irrelevant. Profit is the best indicator of a firm's performance"

Thank you xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Hi.
My exam board is AQA and I wanted to get a revision guide or textbook. Any suggestions on which ones are the best? Thanks.
Reply 113
I know this is an old thread, but that's such a nice thing to do! :smile:
Original post by Sk2001
Hi.
My exam board is AQA and I wanted to get a revision guide or textbook. Any suggestions on which ones are the best? Thanks.

The Hodder one for sure
Hi guys. I am student that is now studying economics at UCL, but in my spare time I have decided to write economics essays (for A-Levels) and answer people's economics-related questions. The essays will all be available on dropbox, and I hope to do this for all of the exam boards, but my main focus will be on OCR, Edexcel and AQA (WJEC and IB will still have some content, however). Many essays, however,are relevant to all of the exam boards, and so the dropbox folders for each of the exam boards will have some essays that are specific to the exam board, but also essays from other ones when there is overlap.

I will be producing essays on a weekly or fortnightly basis simply of my own accord. If any of you, however, do have a particular essay you want written, just post it in the thread (or message me) and I will consider writing it (or asking someone else to), assuming that it sounds like a worthwhile essay request. The link below contains a link to all of the free resources so far.

DISCLAIMER (To Students and Moderators) - This is NOT any sort of essay writing service for university students (to cheat on assignments), but rather just a large stockpile / archive of A-level economics essays that can serve as useful references when trying to write model answer essays for economics.

Free Resources / Essays:

Below, I will also post a link to a website of other economics resources (some of mine are linked there as well) that is being run by another university undergraduate.

Lastly, I will simply be answering questions from anyone who posts in this thread, and I plan to go through all unanswered questions at least once a week, but do bear in mind that I may not have time to get back to all of you as I am still in university. That about wraps things up. I hope that I can be of help to all of you and make your economics revision faster, and a bit less painless haha :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! My smaller question is how is UCL? - its my aspiration to get myself there...BUT my bigger question is in Economics i got a U...in the first ever test we've done. Do you have any tips in how i get boost up to an A* or A Economics Student?
Reply 116
Kevin can you please send me the link to drop box for ocr A2 economics? I have exam in few days and am desperate. Can you also add me to the Facebook chat group
Reply 117
I have a CCA assignment. I need to find a particular current event that has impacted Canada's GDP. I need to establish a connection between the real world event and an economic indicator. The topic I chose is The Canadian Saudi Dispute.

Free Resources / Essays:

Hi I know you made this thread a long time ago but there’s no harm in asking Lool. I’m doing econ at university and have a question on the solow model but have no idea how to do it would you be able to help?