Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Going back to education after child?

ReputationRep:
    I'm ready to study again. I left school with good GCSE's, started working at something I thought would be my forever job, however I fell pregnant after a while and now the job just isn't possible with a young child. On paper I only have my GCSE's and can only apply for really low level jobs.
    I want to take my A levels and then go onto uni, the only problem is I can't go a college, so I'll have to study from home.
    To do my A Levels would cost me around £200 a month, which when you're a single parent on minimum part time wage just isn't do able.
    I can't find anything about being able to get funding to do my A Levels.

Anyone able to help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azolabar)
    I'm ready to study again. I left school with good GCSE's, started working at something I thought would be my forever job, however I fell pregnant after a while and now the job just isn't possible with a young child. On paper I only have my GCSE's and can only apply for really low level jobs.
    I want to take my A levels and then go onto uni, the only problem is I can't go a college, so I'll have to study from home.
    To do my A Levels would cost me around £200 a month, which when you're a single parent on minimum part time wage just isn't do able.

Anyone able to help?
    An alternative and maybe better route to university for a mature student would be an access course.
    To the best of my knowledge there isn't any funding to help with the costs of distance learning A levels.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A better option for you would be to sit A-levels as an external candidate, which means you pay to sit just the exam in a local college. So you revise and teach yourself, which is straight forward for some subjects.

You will have to check whether the courses you want to do require an AS exam and A2 exam or just the Alevel, there are just single Alevel exams for most courses, but some may require coursework element at an additional charge. In those circumstances you sit the coursework on one day and normally included in the cost is a day where you are allowed to practice setup the coursework element, such as a science experiment.

Deadlines for exam registration is normally around January and the cost is something like 60-80 per exam.

Another alternative is Open University, you can study at a full time rate and some degree pathways are accredited by the equivalent institutions that give accreditation to standard universities.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not able to attend college, will you be able to attend university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    If you are not able to attend college, will you be able to attend university?
    She can get a maintenance loan and childcare grant for university, but not for college, so attending university shouldn't be a problem.

OP, do you know what degree you wan't to do? Self-taught A levels is an option, as outlined above. Another alternative is to do an Access course through distance learning. You can get a student loan for the fees, which is wiped off if you subsequently graduate from university, but is otherwise repayable in the same way as other student loans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azolabar)

Anyone able to help?
    It would be worth looking into doing an access course rather than A-levels, as you'd be funded for this. It would still get you to uni, and is well suited to those who have had some time out of education like yourself

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.