Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So here I am sitting in year 13 being warned that next year my UCAS forum will have crept up on me and I will have a box which I need to sell myself in and here is what I have so far:
    GCSEs 6A* 3A < IS this good enough in all honesty?
    Not much... oh and astronomy as well

For my As Levels I am studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and I am confident, but not complacent I will achieve 4 A grades. So I have also enrolled in some extra curricular to try boost my which include:
    Learning mandarin
    8 Week course working with autistic children
    Biomedical research days
    Pope John Paul Award (only in Northern Ireland I believe...) which is volunteering in the community and parish with a slight religious tilt
    Online courses through Future Learn about antibiotic resistance...will do a few of these as they are quite short.

Of course I will seek hospital or health based volunteering soon as I am just waiting to talk to my careers teacher.

What else can really define a good medical applicant, and are my GCSEs up to scratch?

Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are more than fine! Check out this link if you're worried -*http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements

Your experience sounds good and varied, and you've mentioned hospital/ health volunteering. Just make sure you get some experience shadowing a doctor too.

If you have the grades, the experience, do well in the entrance tests, can articulate this well in 47 lines and apply to your strengths, I'd say that would be a good medical application.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So here I am sitting in year 13 being warned that next year my UCAS forum will have crept up on me and I will have a box which I need to sell myself in and here is what I have so far:
    GCSEs 6A* 3A < IS this good enough in all honesty?
    Not much... oh and astronomy as well

For my As Levels I am studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics and I am confident, but not complacent I will achieve 4 A grades. So I have also enrolled in some extra curricular to try boost my which include:
    Learning mandarin
    8 Week course working with autistic children
    Biomedical research days
    Pope John Paul Award (only in Northern Ireland I believe...) which is volunteering in the community and parish with a slight religious tilt
    Online courses through Future Learn about antibiotic resistance...will do a few of these as they are quite short.

Of course I will seek hospital or health based volunteering soon as I am just waiting to talk to my careers teacher.

What else can really define a good medical applicant, and are my GCSEs up to scratch?

Thanks alot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.