How do I prove I own it?!?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been asked to supply proof of ownership of my car to apply for a parking permit from the county council.

They want my vehicle registration document as proof of ownership but I have no idea what this is/?

The only thing I can find is my V5C which says in giant capital letters on the front that this is not proof of ownership?

So how do I prove I own it??

ps they said they would take receipts or invoice of sale only if car was purchased in the last 3 months and that doesn't apply to me

ReputationRep:
    It may say that on the front, but most people will take it as proof of ownership. As back-up you can also give them a copy of your insurance certificate, which again isn't proof of ownership but whoever is dealing with your application is likely to put the two together and use a bit of common sense - you have the V5C with your name, you're insured on the car, you've proven your identity... they can't ask for much more, really.

ReputationRep:
    Your logbook is the vehicle registration document. Use that.

ReputationRep:
    Pee on it to show dominance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    It may say that on the front, but most people will take it as proof of ownership. As back-up you can also give them a copy of your insurance certificate, which again isn't proof of ownership but whoever is dealing with your application is likely to put the two together and use a bit of common sense - you have the V5C with your name, you're insured on the car, you've proven your identity... they can't ask for much more, really.
    I agree.
    You can always take your sales invoice as well. They have everything they could ever ask for then.

ReputationRep:
    I work for a council, generally when we ask for proof of ownership we need to see the V5 document or if it's a newly purchased car, the small green slip with a receipt/proof of purchase attached.

Ignore what the V5 says, it is proof of ownership.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.