Which unis give out offers/rejections fast?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering which specific are known for giving out offers very late/very early. I've applied to Cambridge, St. Andrews, Edinbuh, Durham and UCL and (given that I'm a very panicky person) I'm already starting to obsessively check my emails. Does anyone have a good idea of when these unis are known to give out their earliest offers?

ReputationRep:
    What course/s have you applied for? Jw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    What course/s have you applied for? Jw
    Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theravadaz)
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering which specific are known for giving out offers very late/very early. I've applied to Cambridge, St. Andrews, Edinbuh, Durham and UCL and (given that I'm a very panicky person) I'm already starting to obsessively check my emails. Does anyone have a good idea of when these unis are known to give out their earliest offers?
    I applied for natural sciences and a think UCL was the quickest, mid-late October, and since Oxbridge interviews are held in December time, you should be informed of an interview about a month before. Durham took the longest, they gave me an offer the same day I was rejected by Oxford in January!

ReputationRep:
    Out of these 5, I applied to 3 of them, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham. St Andrews came in late December. I think Cambridge was around January/February. Durham came in super late, I think it was around May.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Edinburgh's notoriously slow for giving out offers and rejections and won't respond to any applicants until after the 15th January deadline

ReputationRep:
    I know this is urban legend a bit, but Durham seems to reject instantly if you've also applied to Oxbridge and have a realistic chance of getting in. It had happened to everyone I knew at Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I know this is urban legend a bit, but Durham seems to reject instantly if you've also applied to Oxbridge and have a realistic chance of getting in. It had happened to everyone I knew at Cambridge!
    It is urban legend as it is impossible for individual unis to know where else you have applied to. Just because you applied before 15th October does not mean an Oxbridge application and all unis are aware of this.*

Uni's know NOTHING of where else you have applied to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    It is urban legend as it is impossible for individual unis to know where else you have applied to. Just because you applied before 15th October does not mean an Oxbridge application and all unis are aware of this.*

Uni's know NOTHING of where else you have applied to
    My application was quite some time ago, before this system you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    A little off topic, but does anybody know how to enter resits onto a UCAS application? I'm not sure how it works for the new A levels

ReputationRep:
    My application was quite some time ago, before this system you're talking about.
    Nowadays, with UCAS, it is impossible for unis to know where else a candidate has applied to, so cannot reject based on applying to a supposedly superior uni.

Even if they could see, it's a decision made superficially, not on the academic prowess of the student, so would call into question the integrity of the academic institution in question, rejecting a candidate on pre conceived ideas of "prestige", rather than what decisions should be made on, academic prowess and dedication of the applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Nowadays, with UCAS, it is impossible for unis to know where else a candidate has applied to, so cannot reject based on applying to a supposedly superior uni.

Even if they could see, it's a decision made superficially, not on the academic prowess of the student, so would call into question the integrity of the academic institution in question, rejecting a candidate on pre conceived ideas of "prestige", rather than what decisions should be made on, academic prowess and dedication of the applicant
    Indeed so - and this is a welcome change. I think what used to happen was that it was assumed that, had you made an application to Oxbridge that had a reasonable chance of success you would automatically accept it over one from Durham, so they just rejected you to concentrate on making offers to students who would be more likely to accept them. This is all rather a long time ago, and as I say it's obviously all to the good that this has now changed.

ReputationRep:
    It's rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustARandomer123)
    A little off topic, but does anybody know how to enter resits onto a UCAS application? I'm not sure how it works for the new A levels
    When I did it last year we did it like this. We'd enter the subject, exam board, date and grade and then do the exact same but change the date to the year of the resit and leave the grade blank.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.