Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Geography Coursework choices Help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, i need help on my geography coursework i dont know whether to pick a physical one which is comparing two bach profiles one shingle the other sand or a human one comparing traffic at different hours of the day, so which one do you think i should do and please give me tips on which others i can pick

Thanks for your time

From John

ReputationRep:
    What would you be comparing on the two beaches, what would your investigation be? To be honest, the human suggestion sounds a little thin, would you only be comparing traffic flow? Because it might be better to encorporate some other variables too. Is this for GCSE level? Give me some more info, and I'll be happy to help Ellie x x

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks yeah this is GCSE coursework. For the beach profiles ill be comparing inflitration rates, gradients and size of material!
    For the traffic coursework i was thinking on measuring traffic flow really i know it seems simple thats why i was a bit uncertain so which coursework do you think its best and help me here please beacause im a bit confused!

Thanks for your time
    From Liam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neohhh)
    Ok thanks yeah this is GCSE coursework. For the beach profiles ill be comparing inflitration rates, gradients and size of material!
    For the traffic coursework i was thinking on measuring traffic flow really i know it seems simple thats why i was a bit uncertain so which coursework do you think its best and help me here please beacause im a bit confused!

Thanks for your time
    From Liam
    Ok well the beach one sounds like a good idea, if you do a beach profile to measure the gradient, and you can use Phi size for the material, how are you going to measure infiltration rates though? And do you have all the equipment you're going to need for this? e.g. graduated sieves etc. Can you get to the beaches easily? The human one would need a lot more expansion, and you'd have to extend into looking at spheres of influence, functional indicies etc to get decent marks.

ReputationRep:
    For the infiltration rate i will use some sort of pipe pour an amount of water and see which one infiltrates first! yes i do have access to the beach easily really! but its a lot of hard work this project, which project do you think would be the best one to do? the one i will get more marks?

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    For the infiltration rate i will use some sort of pipe pour an amount of water and see which one infiltrates first! yes i do have access to the beach easily really! but its a lot of hard work this project, which project do you think would be the best one to do? the one i will get more marks?

Thanks for your time
    From John
    You'll get more marks for the physical one unless you change your human one to include more variables. When I did my GCSE coursework we were told to have at least 4 variables to compare, so just traffic flow won't be sufficient. You're going to have to spend a long time writing it up, which one do you think you'll be more interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Beach Profiles would be more interesting but its a lot of hard work. Do you have any other suggestions on another project that could end up successful also.

ReputationRep:
    I say the human....sounds more fun.

ReputationRep:
    Beach Profiles would be more interesting but its a lot of hard work. Do you have any other suggestions on another project that could end up successful also.
    Well if you want a project you could collect the data for in a day or two, human's probably easier. Why not do something like 'Pop size is not the only factor affecting the sphere of influence of a settlement', then you can use secondary date for the pop size, do questionnaires to determine the sphere of influence, and investigate how functional index, bi-polar scores, accessibility etc affect the s of i. Just an idea.

ReputationRep:
    ok. so which one would you do? wouldnt comparing shops be good too?

From John

ReputationRep:
    ok. so which one would you do? wouldnt comparing shops be good too?

From John
    Which exam board are you with? I think you're looking at this project on too small a scale, you should be comparing several things, not just shops, or traffic flow etc. Don't forget, you need geographical theory to support your hypothesis, e.g. Christaller for spheres of influence etc.

ReputationRep:
    OCR! and well i just asid shops but i will be doing surverys for it and all im just saying which one do you think would be best comparing shops or beach profiles?

Thanks for your time

From Liam

ReputationRep:
    OCR! and well i just asid shops but i will be doing surverys for it and all im just saying which one do you think would be best comparing shops or beach profiles?

Thanks for your time

From Liam
    It doesn't matter, both would get equal marks if you did them well, but I don't really understand what you mean by 'compare shops'. Functional index or number of floors devoted to retail or bid-rents, what?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that what i meant was comparing a small shop in a place where there sphere of influence is short and a super market where people tend to go since its where most people live then i would do a survey of why they go there, how many times a week, what brands they buy etc!

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that what i meant was comparing a small shop in a place where there sphere of influence is short and a super market where people tend to go since its where most people live then i would do a survey of why they go there, how many times a week, what brands they buy etc!

Thanks for your time
    From John
    Yeah, you could do that. It's just the idea I mentioned above on a smaller scale really. You could look at accessibility of the two stores as well as questionnaires and the functional index of the goods they sell.

ReputationRep:
    Yep exactly i didnt see my teacher so happy about the beach profile comapring thats why so which one do you think is best or that i should do?

Thanks for your time
    From John

ReputationRep:
    Yep exactly i didnt see my teacher so happy about the beach profile comapring thats why so which one do you think is best or that i should do?

Thanks for your time
    From John
    You can do either one equally as well, it really doesn't matter, though it sounds to me like you'd rather do the human one, and the data collection for that would be easier.

ReputationRep:
    I did something along the lines of how blah blah affects the sphere of influence, or whether the sphere of influence was dependent on...something (it was a really long time ago). Did 6 human variables:

- Population size
    - Questionnaires to see where people came from
    - Functional index
    - One of those survey thingys to see how nice a place was (how much rubbish/graffiti)
    - Think did survey of how many people walked past me
    - Something else. Honestly can't remember

I remember writing only about 20 pages when everyone else wrote about 50 or 60. I can also remember that I got full marks on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I can also remember that I got full marks on it
    Ditto. I think I did the same investigation. They're called bi-polars by the way I made up my own accessibility index too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Oh oh! That's the thingy I forgot. Accessibility index
    Heh, we did actually do the same investigation then. Typical :rolleyes:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.