OCD normalisation questions

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have OCD and I'm finding that the barrier to my recovery is knowing what a "normal person" does in response to contamination. If I shake the hand of someone with visible flu-like symptoms that hand is now a biohazard and it becomes disembodied almost until I wash it and it becomes "my hand" again. I'm perfectly capable of restraining myself but I want to observe the correct health and safety procedures. I feel that having a benchmark is key to healing because then I have a kind of spirit level i can use to show me when I'm overbalancing into insanity.

Soo what would you do in the following situations? (warning OCD triggers)

1) Someone with flaking skin scratches and the flakes drift over you in a fine mist
    2) You drop your toothbrush on the floor in a dirty public shower
    3) You are given a hug by someone who smells and looks extremely ill - perhaps at death's door.
    4) You drop your phone in dog mess.

ReputationRep:
    1. Wince and dodge as best I can, then dust off and shiver
    2. Pick it up and clean it
    3. Scrunch up my nose, look grossed out and try my hardest to have as little contact as possible, then carry on my day
    4. Cry. Take it home by a clean corner, then attempt a cleaning. If that doesn't work, then I'd get a new phone.

I've got OCD too but it's not extreme, anyway:
    1. Dust myself, probably would still be on my mind until I shower though
    2. Not picking it up, never using it again.
    3. I sound like a jerk but I would not be able to help showering asap
    4. I guess I'm just getting a new phone then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFam)
    1. Wince and dodge as best I can, then dust off and shiver
    2. Pick it up and clean it
    3. Scrunch up my nose, look grossed out and try my hardest to have as little contact as possible, then carry on my day
    4. Cry. Take it home by a clean corner, then attempt a cleaning. If that doesn't work, then I'd get a new phone.
    Thank you that's interesting

3. Would you need to change your clothes?
    4. What constitutes "work". By this I mean at what stage would you feel that the phone is clean. Surely it would get inside the phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the handmedune)
    Thank you that's interesting

3. Would you need to change your clothes?
    4. What constitutes "work". By this I mean at what stage would you feel that the phone is clean. Surely it would get inside the phone.
    3. Probably not.
    4. If it doesn't smell like ****, it's worked.

ReputationRep:
    1. Say: "Oh my Lord!". Then go home take a shower.
    2. Throw the toothbrush in the bin and just buy a new one
    3. Shiver and cringe a little bit then take any medicine depending on their illness.
    4. All I know is I would not use that phone again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the handmedune)
    I have OCD and I'm finding that the barrier to my recovery is knowing what a "normal person" does in response to contamination. If I shake the hand of someone with visible flu-like symptoms that hand is now a biohazard and it becomes disembodied almost until I wash it and it becomes "my hand" again. I'm perfectly capable of restraining myself but I want to observe the correct health and safety procedures. I feel that having a benchmark is key to healing because then I have a kind of spirit level i can use to show me when I'm overbalancing into insanity.

Soo what would you do in the following situations? (warning OCD triggers)

1) Someone with flaking skin scratches and the flakes drift over you in a fine mist
    2) You drop your toothbrush on the floor in a dirty public shower
    3) You are given a hug by someone who smells and looks extremely ill - perhaps at death's door.
    4) You drop your phone in dog mess.
    Oh god. *Shivers*

1. I'd go and clean up and change my clothes.
    2. Replace my toothbrush.
    3. I'd probably comfort them but wouldn't touch anything else, so I don't contaminate it until I don't have a shower and change my clothes.
    4. This ones tricky. I can be really crazy at times so I don't know what extreme step I'd take.

I do have very bad OCD. Its a mental thing that I'm trying to overcome.

I have OCD myself and part of it is contamination issues.

1: Try to stay calm and then wash like mad when im alone! Asap!

2: Throw it away and buy a new one

3: Hug them but then shower as soon as i get home!

4: Clean it a few times with wet wipes and then see how i go.

All are answered 100% truthfully. If i didnt have OCD they would be different

ReputationRep:
    I've been in and out of therapy all my life with severe OCD and while my contamination fears don't always relate to germs, I do still have compulsions relating to the fear of germs and contracting a disease so I'll answer what I would do even though you wanted 'normal' people to reply, I want to show you that there are people in the same boat as you and your responses are normal in the circumstances for your condition -

1. Flaking skin wouldn't bother me so much. I find it a little gross but it wouldn't set off my OCD much. I'd probably hold my breath though until the flakes had settled
    2. Wouldn't pick it up or use it again. I would kick it lightly over to a corner or some place where no one could stand on it. I would be worried someone would stand on it and either pick up my germs and get ill or they would get hurt and I would get the blame. These kind of thought are very common with OCD and appear far fetched to non-sufferers.
    3. Again, I'd hold my breathe during the hug and afterwards I would feel dirty and at the soonest chance I would wash my hands, change my clothes etc. I would feel like my body was unusable and unsafe until I had decontaminated. I would also 'watch and wait' to see if any illness symptoms arose in me. I do the same every time I eat and drink something as my main contamination fears relate to drugs and toxins instead of germs mainly so I worry everything I drink is laced and I am very much used to the watch and wait approach. Its draining but I do every single time I eat or drink and even sometimes after I breathe, as you can imagine, that one happens over and over throughout the day.
    4. I'd pick it up wearing gloves or use an old towel and I'd wipe it over and over with antibacterial wipes and then spray some of my hand sanitizer over it and even then I still wouldn't think it was clean. I'd have to let my partner touch it first and I'd observe him for a few hours to see if he became ill and if he didn't which logically I know he wouldn't since I cleaned it, but OCD doesn't listen to logic

My partner doesn't have OCD so I've asked him what he would do so you can have a 'normal' response and you can compare the answers -

1. Wouldn't do anything. It wouldn't bother him
    2. He would give it a rinse under the tap and then use the toothbrush again when needed
    3. Just hug them back and not give it a second thought
    4. Wipe the phone and then clean it with an antibacterial wipe

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry to intrude on the thread! Although never diagnosed, I believe I have a very mild OCD, that is now more obsessions (I used to have common compulsions a bit younger). I also have found this method works quite well for me and I was just wondering what a 'normal' response would be to somebody spraying febreze quite a lot over you and your clothes. I know this sounds odd, but basically I have a quite a severe fear of chemicals.
    Also thought I'd give my answers to your questions, not sure whether it would help.
    1) Probably freak a bit, but I'd hold it together if in public and then put my clothes straight to be washed when I got home
    2) Pick it up, put it in bin
    3) Hug them back, would probably feel 'dirty' for a while and would end up showering and changing clothes.
    4) Do my level best to clean it off with antibacterial cleaning things, after compulsively washing my hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.