maths education Watch

kc2727
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am thinking about teaching maths in secondary school but I dont want to do a full maths degree.

What degree should I do that would get me on a pgce but also be a good degree to have if i change my mind about teaching? thanks
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kc2727)
I am thinking about teaching maths in secondary school but I dont want to do a full maths degree.

What degree should I do that would get me on a pgce but also be a good degree to have if i change my mind about teaching? thanks
A STEM course like Physics with a lot of maths content.
kc2727
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for your reply. I should have said my current a levels are maths economics and psychology.
monkyvirus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well you could do any of your a-level subjects as a degree.

Have you considered a joint degree? Maths + Economics might be more interesting for you then just maths and you'd get a lot of maths content (straight economics would probably achieve the same thing). You could also take something like maths and education (a quick google brought up a number of courses in that area).

Notably maths + ed seems to have lower entrance requirements than economics tends to have (so you'll have less competition for places). When you consider the fact you also want to teach maths + ed seems like a good choice.

You'll leave with plenty of transferable skills that you can use outside teaching so I wouldn't worry about being able to find another career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (487)
80.1%
Leave (121)
19.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed