Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about teaching maths in secondary school but I dont want to do a full maths degree.

What degree should I do that would get me on a pgce but also be a good degree to have if i change my mind about teaching? thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc2727)
    I am thinking about teaching maths in secondary school but I dont want to do a full maths degree.

What degree should I do that would get me on a pgce but also be a good degree to have if i change my mind about teaching? thanks
    A STEM course like Physics with a lot of maths content.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. I should have said my current a levels are maths economics and psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Well you could do any of your a-level subjects as a degree.

Have you considered a joint degree? Maths + Economics might be more interesting for you then just maths and you'd get a lot of maths content (straight economics would probably achieve the same thing). You could also take something like maths and education (a quick google brought up a number of courses in that area).

Notably maths + ed seems to have lower entrance requirements than economics tends to have (so you'll have less competition for places). When you consider the fact you also want to teach maths + ed seems like a good choice.

You'll leave with plenty of transferable skills that you can use outside teaching so I wouldn't worry about being able to find another career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.