maths education

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about teaching maths in secondary school but I dont want to do a full maths degree.

What degree should I do that would get me on a pgce but also be a good degree to have if i change my mind about teaching? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc2727)
    I am thinking about teaching maths in secondary school but I dont want to do a full maths degree.

What degree should I do that would get me on a pgce but also be a good degree to have if i change my mind about teaching? thanks
    A STEM course like Physics with a lot of maths content.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. I should have said my current a levels are maths economics and psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Well you could do any of your a-level subjects as a degree.

Have you considered a joint degree? Maths + Economics might be more interesting for you then just maths and you'd get a lot of maths content (straight economics would probably achieve the same thing). You could also take something like maths and education (a quick google brought up a number of courses in that area).

Notably maths + ed seems to have lower entrance requirements than economics tends to have (so you'll have less competition for places). When you consider the fact you also want to teach maths + ed seems like a good choice.

You'll leave with plenty of transferable skills that you can use outside teaching so I wouldn't worry about being able to find another career.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.