Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Condoleeza Rice recently stated that if the UK wished to become part of the North American Free Trade Agreement, it probably would be accepted.
    This was presented as an alternative to EU membership, where it seems a lot of countries are pushing forward for political integration and sovereignty issues will arise some day. This alternative was mentioned in the Daily Telegraph about a month ago.
    Although we already have preferential trade agreements with North America, do you think that NAFTA membership is truly feasible?
    What's more, do you think that the UK will be allowed to remain part of ECHELON, a Secret Global Surveillance Network that shares intelligence between the USA, Canada, the UK, New Zealand and Australia?

As I see it, I believe that the UK can't turn its back on the fact it is a European country. It seems that the UK always manages to isolate itself when it comes to EU conferences. All over Europe, you'll read newspapers about how the UK once again, caused discussions to halt. I believe we should be looking for countries that have similar views to the UK's on European issues: Denmark, Sweden, Berlusconi's Italy is very sympathetic to the UK cause and has always expressed his distaste for the Paris-Berlin axis. Nicolas Sarkozy, the new Minister of Finance in France, is a self-proclaimed anglophile and would truly prefer to see Paris closer to London, than to Berlin. He'll probably become president in 2007...

ReputationRep:
    How big would the market be compared to the EU markets? Would we be free to trade with the rest of the world in that arrangement to?

I think the way we suffer for French/German interests is unacceptable, I don't imagine the north american trade agreements come with such incompatible labour market regulations and pressure to hand over control.

http://www.cato.org/research/article...ow-030203.html <== This person seems to think it's a very viable prospect.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure if anyone knows this but the U.S and U.K have a trade agreement over grain whereby as far as i remember the uk limits the amount of grain it produces (by controlling subsidies paid to grain farmers i think) to keep the price of us grain stable. Am i the only one that this disgusts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    i'm not sure if anyone knows this but the U.S and U.K have a trade agreement over grain whereby as far as i remember the uk limits the amount of grain it produces (by controlling subsidies paid to grain farmers i think) to keep the price of us grain stable. Am i the only one that this disgusts?
    What do we get in return? It's not as disgusting as some of the other things we do.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like what the EU is becoming. People say it's going to be the United States if Europe and others say it won't. I think the EU definetly goes further than a free trade agreement should. I think the EU will continue to over step the line and we will a point where there is a United States of Europe, perhaps not in those words.

I get the feeling that the French and the Germans have some kind of fear that without Europe they won't have a say in world affairs. Does anyone think that Europe is a French/German project gain some ground in a Anglo Saxon controlled world? If that's the case then I reckon Britain would be best sticking with its old allies.

I don't like the idea of any political union so that's why I think we should back out of the EU and look for a proper trade agreement elsewhere possibly with commonwealth countries and the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    How big would the market be compared to the EU markets? Would we be free to trade with the rest of the world in that arrangement to?

I think the way we suffer for French/German interests is unacceptable, I don't imagine the north american trade agreements come with such incompatible labour market regulations and pressure to hand over control.

http://www.cato.org/research/article...ow-030203.html <== This person seems to think it's a very viable prospect.
    good article and I like the "more statist regional blocs, such as the EU" phrase I might use that more often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    I don't like what the EU is becoming. People say it's going to be the United States if Europe and others say it won't. I think the EU definetly goes further than a free trade agreement should. I think the EU will continue to over step the line and we will a point where there is a United States of Europe, perhaps not in those words.

I get the feeling that the French and the Germans have some kind of fear that without Europe they won't have a say in world affairs. Does anyone think that Europe is a French/German project gain some ground in a Anglo Saxon controlled world? If that's the case then I reckon Britain would be best sticking with its old allies.

I don't like the idea of any political union so that's why I think we should back out of the EU and look for a proper trade agreement elsewhere possibly with commonwealth countries and the USA.
    The Paris-Berlin axis has been dealt quite a few blows in recent years. Remember when Germany wanted to increase the number of seats it had in the Strasburg Parliament to correspond to the weight its population has and the French government claimed that "the EU was based on equality between Germany and France". France and Germany have been accelerating the integration process. Their ministers now have special meetings together. But these all seem like desperate measures...

Britain's old allies are in Europe: Portugal (its oldest ally, since 1300) and the Scandinavian countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    The Paris-Berlin axis has been dealt quite a few blows in recent years. Remember when Germany wanted to increase the number of seats it had in the Strasburg Parliament to correspond to the weight its population has and the French government claimed that "the EU was based on equality between Germany and France". France and Germany have been accelerating the integration process. Their ministers now have special meetings together. But these all seem like desperate measures...

Britain's old allies are in Europe: Portugal (its oldest ally, since 1300) and the Scandinavian countries.
    Hmmm... i don't think people actually place too much weight on the Strasbourg Parliament, it's just there to keep the French happy since they can't deal with the fact that it actually all happens in Brussels. Also they vetoed a resolution whereby all the paperwork in the E.U would be in English and consequently everything has to be translated into French (and maybe German i don't quite remember)
    Bloody frogs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Hmmm... i don't think people actually place too much weight on the Strasbourg Parliament, it's just there to keep the French happy since they can't deal with the fact that it actually all happens in Brussels. Also they vetoed a resolution whereby all the paperwork in the E.U would be in English and consequently everything has to be translated into French (and maybe German i don't quite remember)
    Bloody frogs...
    A strong friendship in Europe with France is essential. Nicolas Sarkozy (probably the next French president), is all for a strong UK-France alliance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    "Britain has neither permanent friends nor permanent enemies but permanent interests"
    Britain is an ally of the USA as a jackal allies with a lion. As an ally of the USA Britain only has a say in world affairs if it says whatthe US wants it to say. It may be better to be a folower of the USA than part of a Europe that aspires to being a big power, but do no pretend that Britain will have any say at all in the policies it follows if it is.

I don't like the idea of any political union so that's why I think we should back out of the EU and look for a proper trade agreement elsewhere possibly with commonwealth countries and the USA.[/QUOTE]

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.