Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't able to do further maths A level in my school, but i found the opportunity to pick it up as an AS this year. I want to do Maths at a uni. I was going to apply to Oxford but i think I am deciding not to bother, but It would be great if I had a chance at imperial. I got AAAB at AS level in maths, physics, geography and chemistry respectively. My maths ums was low for a person looking to do maths. I am now doing maths chem physics as my a level and further maths as another as level. Is it worth applying to imperial/other top unis for maths even though I haven't done further maths?

From what I'm seeing it may not be a good idea to apply for maths, which is kind of gutting so will have to try and find a close alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Very

You must have further maths for Imperial

ReputationRep:
    You pretty much can't do a maths degree at a top uni without it

ReputationRep:
    1) actually contact admissions at the uni's you're interested in and ask them
    2) make sure it's in your reference that you couldn't take FM
    3) check out scottish universities which don't require FM as there isn't a scottish equivalent (you may be ineligble for direct entry, look into this as I'm unsure, to second year so your looking at a 4 year course which of course is expensive)

I note that Imperial lists the "normal minimum requirement" not that you have to do FM.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much a necessity if your school offers it, if not then you should mention that in your application. You may have a shot at Oxford or Imperial if you ace the MAT + interview (for Oxford), but honestly if you're good enough at maths to do that you should be able to take the whole Further Maths AS+A2 this year. If you do in fact believe yourself to be capable of doing this, talk to your school about it or consider self-studying. There's plenty of amazing resources online, some of which are superior to many actual school teachers in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    No, forget about what people said above. Does your school offer it for A level? If it does, then yea you should have taken it, but if it doesnt and you are taking for AS, get an A in further Maths for AS and so extra reading, mention this in you REFERENCE, and you should be fine, they cant discriminate as your school doesn't offer it. Trust me, I have done a lot of research. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samendrag)
    No, forget about what people said above. Does your school offer it for A level? If it does, then yea you should have taken it, but if it doesnt and you are taking for AS, get an A in further Maths for AS and so extra reading, mention this in you REFERENCE, and you should be fine, they cant discriminate as your school doesn't offer it. Trust me, I have done a lot of research. Good luck!
    Great advice also made me realise I stupidly wrote "personal statement" when I meant reference *facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    Great advice also made me realise I stupidly wrote "personal statement" when I meant reference *facepalm*
    Ohhhhh lool, yea was reading that shaking my head lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.