Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ocr c2 maths help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sat the C2 paper in May and achieved a C, and hoping to retake. I've gone over the unofficial markscheme for this year, and the only question I can't wrap my head around is question 9)ii and iii). This is the question below;

9ii) Given that x=1/5 pi and x=2/5 pi are the 2 smallest +ve solutions of sin(ax)=k where k is a +ve constant, find the values of a and k.

9iii) Given instead that sin(ax)= root 3 cos (ax), find the two smallest +ve solutions for x giving your answers in exact form in terms of a.

Any responses would be helpful. Thanks!
    • Study Helper

(Original post by MoniC255)
    I sat the C2 paper in May and achieved a C, and hoping to retake. I've gone over the unofficial markscheme for this year, and the only question I can't wrap my head around is question 9)ii and iii). This is the question below;

9ii) Given that x=1/5 pi and x=2/5 pi are the 2 smallest +ve solutions of sin(ax)=k where k is a +ve constant, find the values of a and k.

9iii) Given instead that sin(ax)= root 3 cos (ax), find the two smallest +ve solutions for x giving your answers in exact form in terms of a.

Any responses would be helpful. Thanks!
    For the first one I'd suggest starting with a sketch of sin(ax) - doesn't matter you can't draw a "proper" scale, but mark the points you're given.

For the second, rearrange to get a single trig. term. Note that the value comes from one of the standard angles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    For the first one I'd suggest starting with a sketch of sin(ax) - doesn't matter you can't draw a "proper" scale, but mark the points you're given.

For the second, rearrange to get a single trig. term. Note that the value comes from one of the standard angles.

Hi, thanks for the response. I've done that, but haven't got any further.
    • Study Helper

Hi, thanks for the response. I've done that, but haven't got any further.
    Which part are you refering to and what have you got?

ReputationRep:
    Which part are you refering to and what have you got?
    To part 9ii. I've drawn a sine graph, and have draw in the given smallest solutions. Do you know what I could do after this please to obtain a and k? Thanks
    • Study Helper

To part 9ii. I've drawn a sine graph, and have draw in the given smallest solutions. Do you know what I could do after this please to obtain a and k? Thanks
    I was hoping you'd post your diagram, otherwise I'm just going to have to assume it's correct.

I am assuming that "a" is positive, though your question doesn't state that.

The standard sin(t) graph has its first maximum at t= pi/2, and importantly it is symmetrical about a vertical line through t=pi/2.

Now the graph you have been given is stretched along the x-axis.

By symmetry, its maximum is half way between x= pi/5 and x=2pi/5, i.e. at x=3pi/10.

So, the graph has been scaled along the x-axis to get pi/2 to 3pi/10.

Can you see how to work out a from that?

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping you'd post your diagram, otherwise I'm just going to have to assume it's correct.

I am assuming that "a" is positive, though your question doesn't state that.

The standard sin(t) graph has its first maximum at t= pi/2, and importantly it is symmetrical about a vertical line through t=pi/2.

Now the graph you have been given is stretched along the x-axis.

By symmetry, its maximum is half way between x= pi/5 and x=2pi/5, i.e. at x=3pi/10.

So, the graph has been scaled along the x-axis to get pi/2 to 3pi/10.

Can you see how to work out a from that?
    Hi, for some reason I can't post anything.
    Oh, and sorry, yes a is positive, and so is K
    I've done all of the above. So would the a in sin(ax)=k equal 3pi/5? Please?

Thanks for a response
    • Study Helper

Hi, for some reason I can't post anything.
    Oh, and sorry, yes a is positive, and so is K
    I've done all of the above. So would the a in sin(ax)=k equal 3pi/5? Please?

Thanks for a response
    Not quite.

In the standard graph you have sin(pi/2) = 1

In your graph you have sin(a 3pi/10) =1

So,

a \dfrac{3\pi}{10}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}

and solve for "a".

ReputationRep:
    Not quite.

In the standard graph you have sin(pi/2) = 1

In your graph you have sin(a 3pi/10) =1

So,

a \dfrac{3\pi}{10}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}

and solve for "a".
    Oh, I get it now! Thank you very much for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.