The Student Room Group

I want to leave uni ( 3rd attempt ) and work in KFC.

Hey guys,

Straight to the point, I want to leave uni, currently studying at Reading University doing pharmacy, did go to 2 other unis before and left them because of personal reasons ( I went through a family traumatic event during those years ), all of this was and is still to live up to my parents expectations.

Anyway, I did work in KFC before I came to Reading, and not trying to show off or anything ( honestly ) but I did do a damn good job at it while the short time I was there, about 6 months. Apparently my boss's boss wanted to try to promote me in being team leader and potentially assistant manager in the future, this is what I was told from my manager of the branch I was working at.
Yes, KFC had A LOT of *****y moments, like wow....I won't go into details, but I wanted to cry at some points. Then again, I loved it - what job doesn't have moments where you just wanted to throw in the towel. I guess the reason why I always didn't want to see myself working in KFC was due to my upbringing in an asian family and my general knowledge of life where you must earn at least 21k a year to survive - I don't know the exact truth as I haven't yet lived a completely independent life in terms of paying my own bills as buying groceries etc.
Another reason why I didn't want to work there was because I was too embarrassed to see myself working in KFC earning such a small salary compared to all my friends who are graduating by now at uni getting medicine or dentistry degrees. But I have kind of got to the point in life where comparing myself to other people is just pointless in life ( I have a really bad habit of doing that ).

To sum it all up why I want to work there, for once in my life I was good at something, I had a good social life at work, I felt tired throughout the day so that i didn't feel physically and mentally restless during the evenings so I can just chill and play video games, and finally I was recognised in being good at the job by the customers and someone that's at a higher position in my career path ( not sure if that last part even made grammatical sense...).

What are your guys opinions....pls be honest, even if its harsh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi i am just in high school in year 10 so i dont know how my advice may be too helpful,
I have always wanted to go to univeristy, I am 100% sure i will, univeristy has so many benefits and it is a really good choice in life. I hope that i go into university for medicine and i also want to go into a top uni like maybe top 10.

I think your choice KFC > uni, personally isnt a good idea, i have heard people say that univeristy is the best time of their life so you should really be a lot more happier. Univeristy has lots of benefits and yes you will get a much higher salary than KFC and probably a lot more respect etc. (no offence). I think the problem with you is that you have picked a course you don't enjoy and maybe not a nice university. I play video games too, a lot but I think in the long run getting a good degree is useful. I think you should maybe change your degree to something more fun for you, but still make sure that it is useful, example dont study some bs degree like russian literature or something, study something where there are good job prospects and you can earn lots of money. Or stick with this degree and maybe talk to someone close who knows you a lot better.

Either way I think you should stay in univeristy, it's really important stage of your life and you can make the most of it and be succesful like I want to.
Reply 2
If you want to work at KFC and enjoy it, do that. University isn't, and shouldn't be, for everyone.

Also, I imagine you could also work your way up at KFC, if you so desired, into better paid management positions in the future.

A degree is not the be all and end all these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Why was my comment deleted you wanted people to be honest.

If you leave uni now you won't have the chance to go back as you will have to pay yourself and on your wages that is unlikely to happen. Stick with your current degree do not give it up for KFC you will regret it in the future.*
You can have have your pharmacist degree and manage KFC you will have better options with a degree. Though if it's your third attempt don't think uni is for you.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh I would say go for it
There's nothing wrong with working there, esp. if you did enjoy it
Even if you did go down the pharmacy route and earn a lot of money, you'd prob end up hating it, which I don't think is worth earning the extra money
my family lives on less than 12k (there's 5 of us), and were doing just fine, but I guess with a lower salary, you just wouldn't be able to go on a lot of holidays, do shopping sprees etc.
I've started uni too and can already tell I'm going to be under a lot of stress for the next 3 years, and if I had a job already, I probably might not have gone as I know I'll be in huge debt for the rest of my life.
Unlike what everyone says, not everyone feels its the best years of their life.
Also 50% of ppl don't go uni and end up doing just fine, just follow what your gut tells you to!
You can work in KFC once you've finished your degree if you want to, but I suspect a few years down the line you will sorely regret giving up a good degree like Pharmacy to work in KFC. You are also very young to be making this kind of decision i.e. 'I want to pick working in KFC over my degree' because you are limiting your future self by doing that. Additionally you say you've already gone to uni a couple of times before which indicates to me that you are either not very good at making decisions yet or are a bit flakey, which is fine because a lot of young people are, but if this is true then you need to keep your options open. Finishing your degree will not stop you working at KFC in the future, but quitting uni and working in KFC now WILL limit your options going forward. To get the best of both worlds you should finish your degree and take it from there.*
Reply 6
Original post by chikane
Why was my comment deleted you wanted people to be honest.

If you leave uni now you won't have the chance to go back as you will have to pay yourself and on your wages that is unlikely to happen. Stick with your current degree do not give it up for KFC you will regret it in the future.*
You can have have your pharmacist degree and manage KFC and have better options with a degree. Though if it's your third attempt don't think uni is for you.*

Huh? Sorry, I honestly don't remember deleting your comment, I may have accidentally clicked on it because I am using a macbook touchpad....
Original post by scaphrax
Huh? Sorry, I honestly don't remember deleting your comment, I may have accidentally clicked on it because I am using a macbook touchpad....

Don't leave it for KFC.. Come on.

Be real.

Be a KFC manager with a pharmacy degree.
Reply 8
Original post by infairverona
You can work in KFC once you've finished your degree if you want to, but I suspect a few years down the line you will sorely regret giving up a good degree like Pharmacy to work in KFC. You are also very young to be making this kind of decision i.e. 'I want to pick working in KFC over my degree' because you are limiting your future self by doing that. Additionally you say you've already gone to uni a couple of times before which indicates to me that you are either not very good at making decisions yet or are a bit flakey, which is fine because a lot of young people are, but if this is true then you need to keep your options open. Finishing your degree will not stop you working at KFC in the future, but quitting uni and working in KFC now WILL limit your options going forward. To get the best of both worlds you should finish your degree and take it from there.*

The mods have deleted it i dont know why? Read what 'infairverona' wrote she is right but also if you decide in the future to go back to uni then you will have to fund it yourself and as there are talks of the fees increasing you need to think carefully before dropping out. You seem like an intelligent person and it would be a waste for you to work there and how long will it take you to get to a higher position. What if in the future you thought pharmacy was something you wanted to do you will find it harder going back to uni.
Just stick with it and afterwards you can work at KFC if thats what you want but dont give it up as millions would love to be in your position.
Hey guys,

Straight to the point, I want to leave uni, currently studying at Reading University doing pharmacy, did go to 2 other unis before and left them because of personal reasons ( I went through a family traumatic event during those years ), all of this was and is still to live up to my parents expectations.

Anyway, I did work in KFC before I came to Reading, and not trying to show off or anything ( honestly ) but I did do a damn good job at it while the short time I was there, about 6 months. Apparently my boss's boss wanted to try to promote me in being team leader and potentially assistant manager in the future, this is what I was told from my manager of the branch I was working at.
Yes, KFC had A LOT of *****y moments, like wow....I won't go into details, but I wanted to cry at some points. Then again, I loved it - what job doesn't have moments where you just wanted to throw in the towel. I guess the reason why I always didn't want to see myself working in KFC was due to my upbringing in an asian family and my general knowledge of life where you must earn at least 21k a year to survive - I don't know the exact truth as I haven't yet lived a completely independent life in terms of paying my own bills as buying groceries etc.
Another reason why I didn't want to work there was because I was too embarrassed to see myself working in KFC earning such a small salary compared to all my friends who are graduating by now at uni getting medicine or dentistry degrees. But I have kind of got to the point in life where comparing myself to other people is just pointless in life ( I have a really bad habit of doing that ).

To sum it all up why I want to work there, for once in my life I was good at something, I had a good social life at work, I felt tired throughout the day so that i didn't feel physically and mentally restless during the evenings so I can just chill and play video games, and finally I was recognised in being good at the job by the customers and someone that's at a higher position in my career path ( not sure if that last part even made grammatical sense...).

First if you have mental health issue, then you need to it ?
You can claim compelling reasons to SFE and try and get them to disregard some of the debt if your reasons for leaving were due to diagnosed mental issues.

If you have decided uni isnt for you. 3 tries is a lot of tries.

Then look forward. You found something you are good at and get satisfaction from. Get rehired and do that, then follow the career ladder, assistant manager, manager, regional manager etc or even better earn enough for your own frnachise. You cna certayinly have a challenging and £ rewarding career plus once you have experience then you cna do other retail.

Sometime in the future KFC could sponsir you to return to Uni and do a business related degree. If you are good at it you can succeed and make much more money. It seems uni isnt for you so go for it and make a career of it.

You could be earning way more than phramacy could ever have probided for you.
Hey guys,

Btw you didnt say what the status of your studies are. What year and how are you doing? I assumed first year for 3rd time and not very well. I now see it doesnt say.
x

I think you should stick with Pharmacy and at least try and complete your degree to a good standard, that way when you graduate you have something to show for it and all that tuition fee debt hasn't gone to waste.

You will regret leaving Pharmacy for a manager job at KFC that literally anyone can do. You've worked so hard to get into Pharmacy so don't quit now
Even if they are in the first year and unhappy? We dont know what their academics are. Its not clear they have sorted out the issues that caused them to leave the first two times.
Reply 13
Original post by J-SP
If you have left uni two times already, and are thinking of leaving again, clearly university is not for you.

Why does it have to be one or the other though? Why not look for an alternative - maybe a degree apprenticeship (best of both worlds). Get a qualification whilst working.

It just seems crazy to put yourself through three years of uni to try and impress other people when you are not happy, and it sounds like there is little chance of you using you degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was strongly considering of doing an apprenticeship, but apparently they don't take people over the age of 18-19
I think you should leave uni.

All these people saying you should stay at uni are basing their opinions off of black and white thinking that going to uni means you are better than people who don't. They say 'Uni is amazing, everyone says they love it, why don't you love it?!?! But then again, I'm only a Year 10 student so I know nothing about this lolllllllll'

Look at OP. He's not enjoying uni. He's tried 2 other unis already. The only reason he is at uni is because his parents expect him to. His parents have the same terrible black and white thinking that going to uni means you are worth more as a person. Now look, he's worked at KFC and says he enjoys it. He had a social life. He was able to have fun after work. He felt valued. And you're telling him that he's an idiot for wanting that?

OP, screw what simple people think. Do what makes you happy, don't live for the expectations of your parents and Year 10 kiddies who can't think beyond what they're having for dinner.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,

NO do not do it, there are hurdles in everything, I feel **** rn thinking about doing my exams, I want to leave school but do you know what? I AM GONNA TRY. you should do the same, you must be smart, and you just have to keep going, do the best you can, you may be good at KFC, but by leaving reading you are eliminating the chances of things getting better, trust me, stay
Reply 16
Hey guys,

recently I listened to a really good podcast and this exact topic was being discussed.
Basically this guy talked about how 17-18 year old students at a young age do really stressful courses at university, spend years and years learning about things that for most of their lives, they wont use. They then will conform to the traditional system of getting a job, getting a mortgage and starting a family etc...

But he also discussed how every so often some people break out from the system and do something totally different, like become a singer or actor etc. We've been told that 'oh there you'll never be a singer or an actor', but there are people like them doing those things now, creative people.

My point is, just do what you want now and figure out what you want to do next. Don't worry about what other people think, just do what you want. No one has it figured out ok, whatever you'll do, it's an experience and you will learn from it.
If it makes you feel better, there are loads of people that finish university but still can't get a job. Not even in KFC
Hey guys,

I dropped out of Law at a top-ten university and channelled my innate, precocious flair for visual composition into a self-made role as in-house retoucher, compositor and creative artworker for a company that didn't even realise it needed one when it first recruited me as a glorified admin-assistant in 2009. It's ontologically true that most people will, at best, resent their jobs, regarding salary more as compensation for chronic emotional distress than as an equitable dividend for their role in sustaining the prosperity of the 'parent' organisation: first discover what makes you happy, then seek out the most viable point-of-entry with a view to honing any related skills, then optimise your earning potential within that field—and remember, people without secure careers or long-term, stable incomes generally don't get to transcend the rental rat-race.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Hey guys,

For all of you that had given me an honest reply ( which I know u all have ), I really do appreciate it.

Straight to the point, after having a lengthy heart to heart talk with my brother in law, I decided to carry on with the pharmacy course. Iv been panicking a bit more cus everyone is so much more smarter than me on the course, and I've been out of education for 2 years so forgotten most of the basics. I've just gotta try my best for now.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending