Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to/need to transfer after first year, due to personal circumstances. Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to be closer to my family however I do not want to do the year again, or continue here until the degree is finished. I didn't realise it would be this hard

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you contact the university you wish to transfer to and talk to your personal tutor in your existing university.
    Nursing is very difficult at times and can be very stressful.
    But due to the big disparity in how nursing courses are taught it's very difficult to transfer. Only the university would be able to tell you if it's possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I have been enquiring however i'm still quite confused by it all. I have the ability to complete the course, it's the area. I am going through a divorce now and I am not from here, I thought it would be easy to move but seeming unlikely. I have been told some accept the hnc as route to second year, not so much transfers. Surely if I am doing a degree at university and will be completing first year that should match a hnc which I believe is done at a college

ReputationRep:
    While you can say yes about the degree and hnc etc. A nursing degree is entirely different.
    They have to meet NMC requirements yet it's down to the individual university how they interpret this and therefore teach this to student nurses.
    This is why it's very difficult to transfer from one university to another.
    As not all universities teach the same things at the same time etc.
    All you can do is contact the university you would like to transfer to and see if they do accept any transfers from the university you're currently at.
    If not and you're still wanting to move you may have no option but to drop out, and then reapply to do nursing from year 1. With no guarantee that you would get in to the university you then apply for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's true. I am contemplating in leaving and re starting again as a last resort. One accepts year to entry however I am not sure what iam doing now will match up with their course. Do you know if this makes any difference : I am currently doing a bsc honours at 3 years, the course I am looking to move does honours at 4 years however 3 years for bsc only, I'm looking at their 3 year course into second year.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest an honours degree in comparison to one that is not doesn't make a difference in nursing. The degree is secondary to the fact you achieve registration and qualify as a nurse.
    The degree only has a significant impact if you're wishing to complete further study, ie a masters or PhD etc.
    Then it's up to where you to apply to set their entrance criteria etc.
    It shouldn't make too much of a difference for a transfer depending on your credits and what you have been taught already.
    Not forgetting the practical element where you also need to achieve your required hours set by the NMC. This could be difficult if the universities set out their placements very differently and meeting the pre-registration standards for nursing students.
    There is a lot involved within a nursing course and ensuring that students meet all requirements before being passed to qualify.
    Please also bear in mind that the NMC are currently updating their preregistration standards for nursing and midwifery so once these are published, if you haven't transferred by then and are able to etc this could also hinder your ability to transfer due to new learning outcomes etc being set.
    In short, it's hard to say without knowing how both universities operate and what their courses are like.
    Contact both to find out what the possibility is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice. I am going to arrange for my transcripts and speak to my personal tutor on Monday. Hopefully if it's quite similar I can transfer into second year, if not I will have to leave and re apply for first

ReputationRep:
    just to add, if you drop out and reapply you might then run into having to pay tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    If I transferred it wouldn't affect me just if I drop out is that correct? The thing is I am in England and I'm trying to get back to Scotland. I think the area is making it even more tricky. Gcu have said they accept transfers into second year and also hnc into second year although they can't guarantee that I would be offered a place. They asked me to apply anyway . I am assuming that getting a place is on the basis of students quitting the course at first year. Do you know the drop out rate? I have heard it is quite high.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.