Is Bradford a safe place?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to apply there and am most grateful for responses

ReputationRep:
    lmao its one of the most dangerous places in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think you should pay a visit so that you can feel the vibes and ensure thats where you'd like to go. Other than that I'm sure it must be safe as an other area within England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcstudent999)
    Bradford is like anywhere else, there's places you'd probably be wise to give a miss, but overall OK.
    The University and Union take security seriously.
    The campus is very secure, CCTV'd up and live security.
    There's a free minibus to get you out of town and back to the university after the big night out and various other initiatives.
    Most of the off campus accommodation for second and third years is close to campus.
    To be fair, for girls young Asian lads in hired cars with nothing better to do can be a nuisance on Great Horton Road, but they're more mouth than trousers and the police have periodic crackdowns to keep them in line.

There is a league table published here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    lmao its one of the most dangerous places in the UK
    Do you live there/ at the uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcstudent999)
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Do you live there/ at the uni?
    Hi there both of you,

I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at The University of Bradford and I can say that Bradford is just as dangerous as any other large city - (Leeds, Manchester). I visit Leeds and Manchester often. I can truthfully say that as long as you don't draw attention to yourself (go down narrow alleyways at late night, stare intensely at people, swagger, parade around with your iPhone 7 at arm length) you will be absolutely fine.

1.) In Bradford, there are police EVERYWHERE. Police in the Train Station, Police stood outside the university entrances, Police patrolling the city center, police vans parked on the main roads, a gigantic police station near the university, police in casual wear walking up and down the university -> Bradford Interchange route, police on the trains and buses, police hidden down alleyways.

2.) The university takes security extremely seriously. You have to wear your lanyard on campus and there are police that walk around and demand you show them it. There are cameras everywhere and it is beautifully lit.

3.) The city center, university and train station are very well lit and and have large, open spaced routes to and from them.

4.) The University of Bradford is right next to Bradford College, so the area is mostly surrounded by students that walk to and from Bradford Interchange (the bus/train station).

5.) The homeless people in Bradford seem a little less insane compared to the ones in Leeds. The ones in Bradford seem to just sit there, but in Leeds they run up to you.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Hi there both of you,

I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at The University of Bradford and I can say that Bradford is just as dangerous as any other large city - (Leeds, Manchester). I visit Leeds and Manchester often. I can truthfully say that as long as you don't draw attention to yourself (go down narrow alleyways at late night, stare intensely at people, swagger, parade around with your iPhone 7 at arm length) you will be absolutely fine.

1.) In Bradford, there are police EVERYWHERE. Police in the Train Station, Police stood outside the university entrances, Police patrolling the city center, police vans parked on the main roads, a gigantic police station near the university, police in casual wear walking up and down the university -> Bradford Interchange route, police on the trains and buses, police hidden down alleyways.

2.) The university takes security extremely seriously. You have to wear your lanyard on campus and there are police that walk around and demand you show them it. There are cameras everywhere and it is beautifully lit.

3.) The city center, university and train station are very well lit and and have large, open spaced routes to and from them.

4.) The University of Bradford is right next to Bradford College, so the area is mostly surrounded by students that walk to and from Bradford Interchange (the bus/train station).

5.) The homeless people in Bradford seem a little less insane compared to the ones in Leeds. The ones in Bradford seem to just sit there, but in Leeds they run up to you.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions if you need to.
    Hey I actually live in Bradford but not planning on going to the uni. I only disagree with you about the first point. I wish you were right though

I have no idea what you are talking about. There are not police 'everywhere' - I go into town quite often at all times of the day and havent seen many police in uniform. Yes, maybe the odd one or two but nothing like how you described it. Police station?! Where lol. Unless youre talking about a different building I havent seen a police station near the uni. (I assume you mean the uni on Richmond Road/Great Horton Road).

I also visited the ICT building on campus a few months back and felt quite unsafe tbh. There werent any police to be seen near the entrances and anyone can walk around campus - its literally off the main road. Fair enough, I couldnt get into ICT without a lanyard but anyone can get in the student building (forgot the name of the building ).

Are you from Bradford too? Or did you move for the uni?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=kiiten;68758644]Hey I actually live in Bradford but not planning on going to the uni. I only disagree with you about the first point. I wish you were right though

Trafalgar House Police Station? I see it every time I go to university and all the police seem to come from there. Every day I walk from the University to the Interchange and there's always police everywhere, and there are constantly police patrolling the university and the route to the interchange.

I moved for the University

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=AshEntropy;68759040]
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Hey I actually live in Bradford but not planning on going to the uni. I only disagree with you about the first point. I wish you were right though

Trafalgar House Police Station? I see it every time I go to university and all the police seem to come from there. Every day I walk from the University to the Interchange and there's always police everywhere, and there are constantly police patrolling the university and the route to the interchange.

I moved for the University
    Ohh thats far from the uni though. Lol i didnt know there was a police station there i had to look on google maps. Hmm maybe because you go early/late in the day but i dont seem to see any :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.