The Student Room Group

Retaking A2 whilst in 1st year uni and applying ucas for another uni

JackHuples Online
0Rep:

1w ago
ReportHi first time posting on tsr.
Im currently in my first year of uni (first week). I got into this uni through clearing as i didn't achive great results in my A2 which i got BBC in bio econ and maths respectivley. I had recieved offers from imperial, ucl, surrey as i got ABB last year in bio econ maths. However during year 13 I under performed due to health issues that werent that serious but effected my confidence and life. It made ne really anxious and depressed.

Now that the backstory is over i wanted to know is it possible to retake my A2 in june. I know that the specs changed but i know i can still retake the old one as its been confirmed. Can i retake and apply via ucas to go to another uni. My current uni isnt the worst but i feel like i havent reached my potential and im very unhappy at uni. Would unis still consider my application even if i am already in uni AND RETAKING EXAMS?

Original post by JackHuples

Im currently in my first year of uni (first week). I got into this uni through clearing as i didn't achive great results in my A2 which i got BBC in bio econ and maths respectivley. I had recieved offers from imperial, ucl, surrey as i got ABB last year in bio econ maths. However during year 13 I under performed due to health issues that werent that serious but effected my confidence and life. It made ne really anxious and depressed.

Now that the backstory is over i wanted to know is it possible to retake my A2 in june. I know that the specs changed but i know i can still retake the old one as its been confirmed. Can i retake and apply via ucas to go to another uni. My current uni isnt the worst but i feel like i havent reached my potential and im very unhappy at uni. Would unis still consider my application even if i am already in uni AND RETAKING EXAMS?

You know if you pass the year as this university, some universities might consider a transfer rather than you having to redo a levels. It's best you contact the university you are interested in as these applications would be a case to case basis thing really.
I think its bonkers being at a Uni you dont wnat to be at. A transfer is an option, but as one uni might take you, then others will not.
Cost of resits £100-300.
Transfer- Need to perform very well, then they may not take you as course syllabus incompatible. If you need to go somewhere else from year 1 its a waste of c £15,000+.

Any time spent studying for resits is time you wont be spending studying fo your furst year results, which may or may not matter. If you are going for a transfer, then they will.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
You know if you pass the year as this university, some universities might consider a transfer rather than you having to redo a levels. It's best you contact the university you are interested in as these applications would be a case to case basis thing really.

I've contacted unis they wouldn't accept transfers only first year entry and 83r I'd have to meet their entry requirements
Drop out and resit your a levels would be the best choice.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Drop out and resit your a levels would be the best choice.

That is exactly what I've done. Ive dropped out
Reply 6
I'm in the same place as Jack. Is it actually possible to resit your old spec exams in 2017?

Thanks!

OH MY F******* GOD NO WAY. I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE IN THE SAME POSITION AS ME!!! I too got very ill last year and sadly missed my imperial and UCL offer. I wanted to reapply as both said due to the cicumstances I will get an offer again next year, but when I got home on results day and told my parents of my intentions, they kicked me out my house and told me to go to university or don't come home.

So here I stuck doing a course I dont want to do, at a uni I dont want to be at with no money. However I am thinking to resit a couple modules to get my AAA at least (first to get my confidence back as it has been destroyed) however at the same time i will be applying to unis again hopefully.
Reply 8
Original post by samkhanussam
OH MY F******* GOD NO WAY. I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE IN THE SAME POSITION AS ME!!! I too got very ill last year and sadly missed my imperial and UCL offer. I wanted to reapply as both said due to the cicumstances I will get an offer again next year, but when I got home on results day and told my parents of my intentions, they kicked me out my house and told me to go to university or don't come home.

So here I stuck doing a course I dont want to do, at a uni I dont want to be at with no money. However I am thinking to resit a couple modules to get my AAA at least (first to get my confidence back as it has been destroyed) however at the same time i will be applying to unis again hopefully.

I was in the same exact situation. However, I realized that its my life and decided to drop out of university. I was at royal Holloway but no offence to the uni I felt I could do better and I just decided to retake and so far its all good. Got an offer from Surrey just waiting on 4 more. Also I've got a job so things aren't to bad.

Why don't you like your course and what uni are you at?
Reply 9
Original post by indrekul
I'm in the same place as Jack. Is it actually possible to resit your old spec exams in 2017?

Thanks!

Yh it is. They'll be called legacy exams
I was in the same exact situation. However, I realized that its my life and decided to drop out of university. I was at royal Holloway but no offence to the uni I felt I could do better and I just decided to retake and so far its all good. Got an offer from Surrey just waiting on 4 more. Also I've got a job so things aren't to bad.

Why don't you like your course and what uni are you at?

Don't know if this thread is still going, but with the experiences of you two, would you recommend going to a worse uni through clearing, and then possibly dropping out and retaking A levels, or just taking a year out and doing them then?
I didn't quite get the grades for my top choice, and don't want to be stuck at a second rate uni after clearing, which won't look as good on the CV.
Cheers
Reply 11
I'm in the same boat! please help answer 'JackHuples' question🙏🙏🙏
Original post by Dd11
I'm in the same boat! please help answer 'JackHuples' question🙏🙏🙏

I thought I did. What do you believe the question was?
Really interested to find out how you got on, I'm in a similar situation and looking to apply to UCL and Imperial this year with retaking a few maths modules. Did they give you an offer ?

Quick Reply

Latest