Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    first time posting on tsr.
    Im currently in my first year of uni (first week). I got into this uni through clearing as i didn't achive great results in my A2 which i got BBC in bio econ and maths respectivley. I had recieved offers from imperial, ucl, surrey as i got ABB last year in bio econ maths. However during year 13 I under performed due to health issues that werent that serious but effected my confidence and life. It made ne really anxious and depressed.

Now that the backstory is over i wanted to know is it possible to retake my A2 in june. I know that the specs changed but i know i can still retake the old one as its been confirmed. Can i retake and apply via ucas to go to another uni. My current uni isnt the worst but i feel like i havent reached my potential and im very unhappy at uni. Would unis still consider my application even if i am already in uni AND RETAKING EXAMS?

ReputationRep:
    ring the unis you want to go to and ask

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's worth it. The better thing to do would be to take a gap year and re-apply. Or, you could email the universities and ask if you could transfer after the first year if you get whatever grade/mark overall.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackHuples)
    first time posting on tsr.
    Im currently in my first year of uni (first week). I got into this uni through clearing as i didn't achive great results in my A2 which i got BBC in bio econ and maths respectivley. I had recieved offers from imperial, ucl, surrey as i got ABB last year in bio econ maths. However during year 13 I under performed due to health issues that werent that serious but effected my confidence and life. It made ne really anxious and depressed.

Now that the backstory is over i wanted to know is it possible to retake my A2 in june. I know that the specs changed but i know i can still retake the old one as its been confirmed. Can i retake and apply via ucas to go to another uni. My current uni isnt the worst but i feel like i havent reached my potential and im very unhappy at uni. Would unis still consider my application even if i am already in uni AND RETAKING EXAMS?
    You've already struggled at A Levels whilst focusing all your attention on those. For your plan to work, you need to do A Levels and simultaneously do first year - you won't impress the new uni if you fail at either. Even though you will be resitting first year at the new uni you need to do well, so that you show them you can cope with the course.

You would be better to focus on one or the other. Either dedicate this year to uni - it's really too early to decide you hate it - or drop out now before accumulating more debt.

ReputationRep:
    1) They will spot you a mile off. Most top Unis are very cagey about any form of resit and your chances of an offer are very slim.

2) If you are not a high achiever (be honest with yourself) you would probably find the academic pressure at a 'higher' Uni very difficult. This isnt about just 'getting in' - its about being able to keep up with the work when you get there. Are you getting top grades at your current Uni? No? Then you will struggle anywhere else that is more demanding.

3) WHY do you want to switch Unis? Do not fall into the school-leaver trap of thinking that the name of the Uni on your degree certificate will guarantee you a fantastic career and life-long happiness. Life doesn't work like that. Aside from some up-themselves Law firms and Merchant Banks, most mainstream employers will not care where you did your degree - if you have a 2i or a First and an interesting CV that shows you did more at Uni than just study (voluntary work, clubs/societies, relevant work experience/placements etc) you will not be disadvantaged by 'which Uni' you went to. And after your first job, its your work experience that counts, not your degree.

4) 'I could have got better A levels, and I'm cross with myself that I didnt'. Retaking them isnt the answer - if you need to prove to yourself (or others?) that you are a bright high achiever, then throw yourself into your course at your current Uni and get a First. If you sit there with the feeling that you are 'too good' for that Uni, you are guaranteed to be miserable, resentful and not enjoy being at Uni.

5) Going to any other Uni will not make you instantly 'happy'. Remember, you will take all your anxiety issues with you and you may be just as dissatisfied/unhappy at any other Uni.

Go and see your Personal Tutor at your current Uni and talk about how you are feeling. Then get on with your course and start engaging with other people. By Christmas you will have probably forgotten you ever posted this message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You've already struggled at A Levels whilst focusing all your attention on those. For your plan to work, you need to do A Levels and simultaneously do first year - you won't impress the new uni if you fail at either. Even though you will be resitting first year at the new uni you need to do well, so that you show them you can cope with the course.

You would be better to focus on one or the other. Either dedicate this year to uni - it's really too early to decide you hate it - or drop out now before accumulating more debt.
    I really hate it. The uni is top 30 but i commute meaning my uni experience is very poor. I feel like im missing out on enjoying uni even though im outgoing and social.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    1) They will spot you a mile off. Most top Unis are very cagey about any form of resit and your chances of an offer are very slim.

2) If you are not a high achiever (be honest with yourself) you would probably find the academic pressure at a 'higher' Uni very difficult. This isnt about just 'getting in' - its about being able to keep up with the work when you get there. Are you getting top grades at your current Uni? No? Then you will struggle anywhere else that is more demanding.

3) WHY do you want to switch Unis? Do not fall into the school-leaver trap of thinking that the name of the Uni on your degree certificate will guarantee you a fantastic career and life-long happiness. Life doesn't work like that. Aside from some up-themselves Law firms and Merchant Banks, most mainstream employers will not care where you did your degree - if you have a 2i or a First and an interesting CV that shows you did more at Uni than just study (voluntary work, clubs/societies, relevant work experience/placements etc) you will not be disadvantaged by 'which Uni' you went to. And after your first job, its your work experience that counts, not your degree.

4) 'I could have got better A levels, and I'm cross with myself that I didnt'. Retaking them isnt the answer - if you need to prove to yourself (or others?) that you are a bright high achiever, then throw yourself into your course at your current Uni and get a First. If you sit there with the feeling that you are 'too good' for that Uni, you are guaranteed to be miserable, resentful and not enjoy being at Uni.

5) Going to any other Uni will not make you instantly 'happy'. Remember, you will take all your anxiety issues with you and you may be just as dissatisfied/unhappy at any other Uni.

Go and see your Personal Tutor at your current Uni and talk about how you are feeling. Then get on with your course and start engaging with other people. By Christmas you will have probably forgotten you ever posted this message.
    1) do you think i wouldnt at all recieve an offer from any top 20 uni even if my personal statement is 10/10?

2) i believe i could cope with the pressuare and about academic pressuare im at rhul which has a high work rate expected.

3) there is an element of the name of the uni but mainly i believe that I'm missing out on the uni experie

4) I do feel like I'm too good but mainly i could of got way better results. If i was to 'throw my self in to my first weekda what next? I don't want to be here and where i want to go unis dont accept transfers to second year

5) i agree with you 100% but it could be better with accomdation

Thank you for your detailed reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.