Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Please help!

I've know I've already missed all the deadlines and everything for loans... but I have some queries.

If I decide not to get a loan, what do I have to fill out? Do I still have to fill out the usual forms?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that if you don't want to get a loan - don't fill out anything! That way you're definitely not gonna get one!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, good! Thanx

However, I thought they decide on how much of a tuition fee you pay based on all that stuff? Or am I just being incredibley stupid? :confused:

I've managed to miss all this information somehow, with friends all getting bursaries and things!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you would have to apply for having your tuition fees paid for you, even if you don't want any loan. But to answer your original question, you shouldn't have to fill out "the usual forms" because a large amount of that is for the loan, not for the fees.

I don't know how the income assesment that decides how much of your tuition fees gets paid for you is handled this long after the deadline.

I suggest you wait a few seconds and someone like Pencil Queen will come into this thread and all will be explained!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lawness)
    Hello!

Please help!

I've know I've already missed all the deadlines and everything for loans... but I have some queries.

If I decide not to get a loan, what do I have to fill out? Do I still have to fill out the usual forms?
    I thought that you had to fill in the form in order to ensure that your local authority pays the fees to your Uni - you do not have to take out ANY loan at all, it asks you on the form how much loan you want to apply for, but that is separate from the fees. I would contact your local authority (provided you are a UK student) who should be able to advise you. I would be careful, however, as it may be that if you do not apply via your local authority, YOU might be liable for the tuition fees (as if you were an overseas student!).

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to seem a killjoy but i was under the impression that you had to fill in the forms regardless of whether you wanted a loan or not. I think this is because the LEA pays the fee for you. Without filling in the forms, i think you will have to pay the university even more than the usual 1,125 because the LEA (form filling in) route is subsidised. I may be wrong, but i'm sure i read something to that effect in the booklet accompanying the forms.

I wouldn't worry too much so long as you act NOW. My LEA is now only processing my forms as my passport went missing and they needed my birth certificate instead. If you plead ignorance and grovel i'm sure you'll get let off.

Good luck.
    PM me and let me know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perdurabo)
    I don't want to seem a killjoy but i was under the impression that you had to fill in the forms regardless of whether you wanted a loan or not. I think this is because the LEA pays the fee for you. Without filling in the forms, i think you will have to pay the university even more than the usual 1,125 because the LEA (form filling in) route is subsidised. I may be wrong, but i'm sure i read something to that effect in the booklet accompanying the forms.

I wouldn't worry too much so long as you act NOW. My LEA is now only processing my forms as my passport went missing and they needed my birth certificate instead. If you plead ignorance and grovel i'm sure you'll get let off.
    This has been the only piece of correct advise given on the thread.

Shows how little information people are given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    This has been the only piece of correct advise given on the thread.

Shows how little information people are given.
    Cheers.
    Just doing my bit.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've printed off all the forms from the website and am going to fill them in first thing tomorrow. Eek! Can't believe I've left it so stupidly late!

Thanx alot for all your help everyone Good to see my newbie status didn't scare ya away!

I'll let you know if, and hopefully when, all is successful!

All I'll need after that are the specified grades... whole different ball game! :eek:

Where have all of you applied to and for?

I'm hoping to do law at Kings, with Surrey as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy at Bristol. Durham as insurance (although it's a higher offer).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.