Can you answer this please all a level students or even Gcse?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I started year 12 on the 6th of September and I've been revising everyday till now doing light revision so about 4-5hours a day, so this monday which is the 3rd of October I'm going to proper start reviison, i was wondering is this considered early in the year like am i still considered to be in the beginning of year 12. ive been in school for less than a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freshstart123)
    So I started year 12 on the 6th of September and I've been revising everyday till now doing light revision so about 4-5hours a day, so this monday which is the 3rd of October I'm going to proper start reviison, i was wondering is this considered early in the year like am i still considered to be in the beginning of year 12. ive been in school for less than a month
    Hi, what do you mean when you say revision? have you been reviewing school work, making notes, doing past papers, or what?

ReputationRep:
    WTF...
    4-5 hours PER DAY is not even close to light revision, honestly I was doing less than that per week for a lot of my A levels.
    I don't know what you class as proper revision but if you up your hours of revision much further you are in danger of tipping the balance so that for each extra hour of revision you remember less than if you did less revision.

ReputationRep:
    you've been doing 4-5 hours per day of REVISION?

Surely you haven't learnt enough to warrant spending that long revising it?!

4-5 hours per day is ridiculous at this stage imo. I didn't even do 2 hours per day right before my A2s, let alone 4-5 in bloody October :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freshstart123)
    I would say that if you are making sure that you fully understand the topics, and using different ways to cover work so it really gets stuck in your head, there is never really a time too early to start revising.
    It makes the main revision time before exams much easier, you can then just focus on your difficult topics and past paper/exam technique.
    I would avoid using too many past papers all year, save some new ones for may/June. Maybe try and use some of the practice question textbooks around. -also see if your college has books of old old past papers, the essay questions are great for mindmaps and summary sheets.
    I revised from September in my A2 year, I re-covered topics every few weeks. My exam period was so much less stressful than my AS. And I got AAA. Good luck, and remember to still have fun and reward yourself with days off here and there!

ReputationRep:
    Dude chillax. I rarely do revision and im doing 4 alevels. Just focus on lectures and do the homeworks flawlessly for now. We'll care later. Life is gonna be hard later. 4-5 hours? per day? I literally do 2 hours overall per week. half goes for homework.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said 4-5 hours per day is far too much for revision, especially so early. But I'm going to look at it from another perspective.

It's really good that you're doing extra work this early. Keep up that mentality and keep pushing yourself to do more than is necessary. Just don't trip yourself up by going too far ahead and being unable to do the work set for you.

4/5 hours a day of pure revision is inefficient. If you're spending that amount of time doing pure revision then your revision techniques are wrong. You shouldn't need to spend that long per day purely on revision which is supposed to help you remember.

Do you actually mean revision? Or do you mean studying in general? In perspective of your year 12 work how much as 4/5 hours a day? Is that effectively doubling your workload? Because if so you'll suffer from a burnout very quickly. Also consider what is actually necessary. If you're able to get an A after doing 3 hours of revision a week but need to up that to 4/5 hours a day to get an A* then contextually the A* isn't worth it.

You've got the right mindset to succeed but your method to implement it seems flawed right now.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.