Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I have enough money one day, you think it's feasible to build an aquarium big enough to keep pet manta rays in? Or other awesome creatures, like a pet giant octopus, or 12ft sturgeon fish.

ReputationRep:
    You can keep a manta ray as a pet..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    You can keep a manta ray as a pet..?
    Well I don't think you can pick one up at the local fair. But if you had enough money, surely you could build a big aquraium, and have one caught, for your viewing pleasure?

ReputationRep:
    In that case I doubt it very much. There are very strict regulations about what animals can and cannot be kept as pets. I think it's based on the animal's safety, other people's safety and the dangers of removing huge amounts of a species out of the natural habitat.

+ they're banning goldfish-in-a-bag as prizes now...

ReputationRep:
    In that case I doubt it very much. There are very strict regulations about what animals can and cannot be kept as pets. I think it's based on the animal's safety, other people's safety and the dangers of removing huge amounts of a species out of the natural habitat.

Hmph. =(

ReputationRep:

On the other hand you could build a house floating above the pacific

MB

ReputationRep:
    i would love an aquarium of baracudas ... friggin dangerous fish ...

ReputationRep:
    you can run your own deep sea world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    You can get 6 ft sturgeons from the aquarium near me. They sell koi too.

We had two sturgeonlets but they were tiny - about 15 - 20 cm long. But yes, they cost about 300 pounds. Quite cheap if you compare it to the koi about the same size - but koi are a completely different category...
    They look damn scary though. Especially when they're at the bottom and all dark coloured.

Quite a lot of people have aquariums large enough for 12st sturgeons - many koi fanatics have ponds big enough to hold about 300 or so metre-long koi carp in...

/ramble
    6ft sturgeons, definitly a good start. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nwfish.com/images/johnsbiggun.jpg
    http://www.ossining.org/sturg1G.jpg

oh sweet jesus.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go near them when you're drunk though!

They start looking like sharks and attacking you...(well, I was scared )
    Do they really attack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    johnsbiggun.jpg
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    :eek:
    Huge, isn't it

_______

http://www.envasion.net/2004/pix/monster3.jpg

I don't think I'd want that in my house.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea. But this one's damn scary and it's only 10 ft!

Don't think they do. I see them in an indoor pond (fairly small) with about 50 koi carps. If you think that each one of the koi are worth about 500 quid, I don't think they would put any insane, aggressive, man-eating fish near a bunch of peaceful, expensive koi?
    Ugly as hell :|

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to keep great white sharks as a pet because they're really cool and immense. I asked the zoo keeper one day why they don't have any great white sharks in their aquarium and he said "several zoos have tried but they just eat everything in the aquarium and even each other."

ReputationRep:
    http://nwfish.com/images/tvfish1.jpg

You could probably buy all of the above sizes of sturgeon quite easily at your local aquarium shop.

My mum always thought the best course of action was to buy one and eat it though
    mmm caviar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    I always wanted to keep great white sharks as a pet because they're really cool and immense. I asked the zoo keeper one day why they don't have any great white sharks in their aquarium and he said "several zoos have tried but they just eat everything in the aquarium and even each other."
    That's a big shame, if I have the money one day I will endeavour on such a project. They're just too awesome. I want to see such large animals swimming.

ReputationRep:
    Ugly as hell :|
    They scare me

ReputationRep:
    http://nwfish.com/images/tvfish1.jpg

You could probably buy all of the above sizes of sturgeon quite easily at your local aquarium shop.

My mum always thought the best course of action was to buy one and eat it though
    Cheers. Not a manta ray, or a giant octopus, but definitely better than a few tropical fish in the corner

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. Not a manta ray, or a giant octopus, but definitely better than a few tropical fish in the corner
    What's the difference between a manta ray and a sting ray?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.