First "safe space" notice seen at University.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my last year at UWE (University of the West of England), and I've come to notice, for the first time, a "safe space" notice.

It says that any behaviour that is offensive or abusive will result in a ban from the SU.

What I consider bizarre is the ambiguity.

Going by "offence is taken, not give", this means almost anything could be an insult so long as it offends someone. It could be an opinion, it could be an overheard joke, it could be anything.

Glad it's my last year but who's to say I won't bump into this later on.

ReputationRep:
    SJWs are slowly taking over. The disease is spreading from the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    SJWs are slowly taking over. The disease is spreading from the US.
    I was laughed at when I claimed the very same thing last year. It's a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I'm in my last year at UWE (University of the West of England), and I've come to notice, for the first time, a "safe space" notice.

It says that any behaviour that is offensive or abusive will result in a ban from the SU.

Going by "offence is taken, not give", this means almost anything could be an insult so long as it offends someone. It could be an opinion, it could be an overheard joke, it could be anything.

Oh dear, what happened to people having thick skins and debating like people in the real world do?

ReputationRep:

It's quite simple, don't say anything that could cause offence, whether it is a joke or not. Your student's union committee must have decided that they need a space where students can relax without being offended.

ReputationRep:
    Claim that the act of declaring the area a safe space and putting up notices to that effect is offensive to your sense of common sense and morality and insist that the SU ban it from taking place.

Submit a Freedom Of Information request asking for a copy of all the evidence they considered before allowing the notice to be put up.

Sit back and watch as they get themselves tangled up in paperwork for weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    It's quite simple, don't say anything that could cause offence, whether it is a joke or not. Your student's union committee must have decided that they need a space where students can relax without being offended.
    So we shouldn't speak because it might upset people? Is that what you're saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Claim that the act of declaring the area a safe space and putting up notices to that effect is offensive to your sense of common sense and morality and insist that the SU ban it from taking place.

Submit a Freedom Of Information request asking for a copy of all the evidence they considered before allowing the notice to be put up.

:toofunny:

Very tempting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Oh dear, what happened to people having thick skins and debating like people in the real world do?
    It's worse in the seminars, I have to go over my opinions several times to make sure I don't offend anyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    So we shouldn't speak because it might upset people? Is that what you're saying?
    Pretty much what is being implied.

Such a pussy generation.

ReputationRep:
    An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk in to a bar.... But not the SU bar at UWE because they've unwittingly taken part in a national stereotype which plays upon the notion of English subjugation of their neighbours thereby causing offence to SJWs thousands of years later.

ReputationRep:
    An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk in to a bar.... But not the SU bar at UWE because they've unwittingly taken part in a national stereotype which plays upon the notion of English subjugation of their neighbours thereby causing offence to SJWs thousands of years later.
    PRSOM.

You're on a roll. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder is TSR is banned at your uni then...

ReputationRep:

Don't waste your time. Student Unions are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

Instead, get involved with the Union and try to get the policy changed from the inside. Student Unions are supposed to be democratic organisations run by their members -- but all too often you find that people are happy to complain, but not actually do anything to get policy changed.

ReputationRep:
    It's worse in the seminars, I have to go over my opinions several times to make sure I don't offend anyone...
    What do you study?

ReputationRep:

You do not have the right not to be offended.And nobody needs protecting from speech.They need protecting from assault but not from ideas.If people require safe spaces then they should have stayed at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)
    Don't waste your time. Student Unions are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
    The FOI would go to the uni who are not exempt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What do you study?
    Criminology, but I'm often in seminars with people doing Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    You do not have the right not to be offended.And nobody needs protecting from speech.They need protecting from assault but not from ideas.If people require safe spaces then they should have stayed at home.
    Especially in Universities. I thought they were supposed to be bastions of expressiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)

Instead, get involved with the Union and try to get the policy changed from the inside. Student Unions are supposed to be democratic organisations run by their members -- but all too often you find that people are happy to complain, but not actually do anything to get policy changed.
    How would I go about that?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.