How to be a YouTuber and study at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    So just recently, I made a new YouTube channel. I had a previous channel with 1000 subscribers, however, I had altercations with it so I shut it down and made a new one. Since I am doing my A levels, I need tips on how to Revise and make YouTube videos because currently I'm finding it hard to juggle. Would really appreciate it.

My YouTube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY_...ygqZgThF7NsCJg
    if interested

ReputationRep:
    Easy... take each day as it comes, do hw at school and come back and make videos if you feel like you are in the creative mood. Obv you dont have to do it straight away, upload it when you are ready.

heres my youtube channel, ill be more active when i move to uni next year.

ReputationRep:
    Nice advertising there.

You can have a schedule, say like have an upload once a week and spend 2 or so days on recording and editing. The rest will be dedicated to revision. It's all about time management.

ReputationRep:
    You had altercations with your youtube channel?

I see on your intro you're saying new videos weekly. That's step one to prioritising youtube over studying as you are committing in that sense to putting out youtube videos.

You need prioritise working and if you get any free time after doing so, then make a video. Not the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KabirAhmad)
    So just recently, I made a new YouTube channel. I had a previous channel with 1000 subscribers, however, I had altercations with it so I shut it down and made a new one. Since I am doing my A levels, I need tips on how to Revise and make YouTube videos because currently I'm finding it hard to juggle. Would really appreciate it.

My YouTube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY_...ygqZgThF7NsCJg
    if interested
    OMG i love the way your videos are edited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    Easy... take each day as it comes, do hw at school and come back and make videos if you feel like you are in the creative mood. Obv you dont have to do it straight away, upload it when you are ready.

heres my youtube channel, ill be more active when i move to uni next year.
    The thing is, If I do all my work at school, and then come back home, my parents will think that I haven't done any work.

ReputationRep:
    If you really can't juggle them then the answer I'm afraid is you don't. Your studies need to come first at this point.

Luckily for you there should be absolutely no issue with you juggling the two. I've known and seen people at university, some with daily uploads, who were able to juggle their channel and their studies. At A Level you should have no problem.

Of course this really depends on how often you want to be producing content. Odds are you won't comfortably be putting out 2 videos a day for example. But I see no reason why you can't dedicate an hour each evening to your studies followed by an hour each evening to making content. 7 hours a week should be sufficient to make a weekly video right? Not to mention all the spare time you'd get at weekends. And your A Level timetable probably isn't full 9-5, five days a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyJade)
    OMG i love the way your videos are edited
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    You had altercations with your youtube channel?

I see on your intro you're saying new videos weekly. That's step one to prioritising youtube over studying as you are committing in that sense to putting out youtube videos.

You need prioritise working and if you get any free time after doing so, then make a video. Not the other way around.
    My old channel had a problem with adsense so I had to close it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    If you really can't juggle them then the answer I'm afraid is you don't. Your studies need to come first at this point.

Luckily for you there should be absolutely no issue with you juggling the two. I've known and seen people at university, some with daily uploads, who were able to juggle their channel and their studies. At A Level you should have no problem.

Of course this really depends on how often you want to be producing content. Odds are you won't comfortably be putting out 2 videos a day for example. But I see no reason why you can't dedicate an hour each evening to your studies followed by an hour each evening to making content. 7 hours a week should be sufficient to make a weekly video right? Not to mention all the spare time you'd get at weekends. And your A Level timetable probably isn't full 9-5, five days a week.
    Im going to upload once a week as I don't really have much time to do 2. The thing is, even with a really good computer, editing takes forever, If I am going to be uploading once a week, the videos have to be amazingly good. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS so haven't reached the A2 difficulty yet, but I'm studying and working too so I have to be really efficient with my time management.

As I work on Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday's (lol i know, I have no life), I tend to get my work done in school and try to fit everything in before I go home so I can semi-chill and study if I need to.

So I'd say set up a schedule which is appropriate to you e.g. Edit on a Saturday and upload on Sunday? Idk, it's all about how you work with the time you have.

If you want good grades you'll obviously prioritise the things which are most important to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    I'm doing AS so haven't reached the A2 difficulty yet, but I'm studying and working too so I have to be really efficient with my time management.

As I work on Fridays, Saturdays and Sunday's (lol i know, I have no life), I tend to get my work done in school and try to fit everything in before I go home so I can semi-chill and study if I need to.

So I'd say set up a schedule which is appropriate to you e.g. Edit on a Saturday and upload on Sunday? Idk, it's all about how you work with the time you have.

If you want good grades you'll obviously prioritise the things which are most important to you.
    I upload on a Saturday, so I guess I can spend a day editing on Sunday? By the way, I used to work Saturdays and Sundays so don't worry. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have a YT channel which doesn't require as much editing as yours, but I record/edit 5-6 videos on a Sunday maybe once a month. I'll then upload bi-weekly, and repeat.

Great content, by the way. You're doing videos in a similar to format as loads of other people, but it still comes across as unique because you're using your own ideas/brand of comedy.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasaron)
    I have a YT channel which doesn't require as much editing as yours, but I record/edit 5-6 videos on a Sunday maybe once a month. I'll then upload bi-weekly, and repeat.

Great content, by the way. You're doing videos in a similar to format as loads of other people, but it still comes across as unique because you're using your own ideas/brand of comedy.
    Thank you ever so much mind telling me your youtube channel so I could check it out?

ReputationRep:
    x
    Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjY...7bTcOLxfqBPD8g

ReputationRep:
    Im going to upload once a week as I don't really have much time to do 2. The thing is, even with a really good computer, editing takes forever, If I am going to be uploading once a week, the videos have to be amazingly good. Thanks though
    Once a week is totally fine until you know what sort of workload you can manage. I don't know the extent of the content but how much of the editing is down to the computer and how much is down to you? Is it an issue of your skills? The software your using? Look for ways to get around that. It's obvious but things like intro/outro content can usually be made once and used repeatedly. In this case it takes time now but saves time later. Look for things like this.

The other thing you can do is work ahead. If you know it'll take 6 days to edit a video then spending 7 days a week on it will put you slowly ahead of schedule.

Realistically if you're serious about it then you'll be able to find time to do it. On average how long are you expecting to spend on a video? Obviously different content takes different amounts of time and I don't want to keep replying based on my assumptions of how much you've got to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Once a week is totally fine until you know what sort of workload you can manage. I don't know the extent of the content but how much of the editing is down to the computer and how much is down to you? Is it an issue of your skills? The software your using? Look for ways to get around that. It's obvious but things like intro/outro content can usually be made once and used repeatedly. In this case it takes time now but saves time later. Look for things like this.

The other thing you can do is work ahead. If you know it'll take 6 days to edit a video then spending 7 days a week on it will put you slowly ahead of schedule.

Realistically if you're serious about it then you'll be able to find time to do it. On average how long are you expecting to spend on a video? Obviously different content takes different amounts of time and I don't want to keep replying based on my assumptions of how much you've got to do.
    I have the software and the skills, My computer can handle it, and I can tell you this, being a YouTuber has always been my dream (may seem cliche) but this time around, i'm not going to stop. With your tips, and the tips from other people, I can honestly say it has helped me immensely(thank you) . On average i'm willing to spend 6 hours straight as on average, that's how much time it will take due to the editing.

ReputationRep:
    I have the software and the skills, My computer can handle it, and I can tell you this, being a YouTuber has always been my dream (may seem cliche) but this time around, i'm not going to stop. With your tips, and the tips from other people, I can honestly say it has helped me immensely(thank you) . On average i'm willing to spend 6 hours straight as on average, that's how much time it will take due to the editing.
    Well 6 hours isn't an unreasonable amount of time, especially at A Level when you should easily be able to spare an hour a day or so. So I think you'll be absolutely fine. Not to mention as you make more content it'll become easier and you'll pick up little tricks to make your life easier.

6 hours to get a video out weekly shouldn't give you any problems.

One thing I will say is remember not to just focus on the video. While it might take 6 hours to edit you want to factor in time to make/record the content, time to advertise and so on. Get together a schedule so you can see exactly how much time you want to dedicate to it. And of course if you can look for tips and advice from people who have already done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Well 6 hours isn't an unreasonable amount of time, especially at A Level when you should easily be able to spare an hour a day or so. So I think you'll be absolutely fine. Not to mention as you make more content it'll become easier and you'll pick up little tricks to make your life easier.

6 hours to get a video out weekly shouldn't give you any problems.

One thing I will say is remember not to just focus on the video. While it might take 6 hours to edit you want to factor in time to make/record the content, time to advertise and so on. Get together a schedule so you can see exactly how much time you want to dedicate to it. And of course if you can look for tips and advice from people who have already done it.
    Thank you so much for the information. Hopefully when I do get bigger, Ill come back to tsr, find you, and mention your help (and the other people ofcourse)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the information. Hopefully when I do get bigger, Ill come back to tsr, find you, and mention your help (and the other people ofcourse)
    Well I've just checked out the channel, the content looks quite professional so you're definitely heading in the right direction. Be sure to check back in a few months and let us know how you're doing.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.