Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

When all your friends are at Uni apart from you ... ?

ReputationRep:
    My friends all went onto Uni. I had to do an extra year at college to catch up due to personal reasons I could not finish in 2 years.

Now I see all the instagrams, facebook, snapchat pictures'of them all having the time of their lives aswell as them tagging me into things by 'accident ' and I cannot help feeling soo jealous.

Any tips ? I hate feeling like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im.a.witch)
    My friends all went onto Uni. I had to do an extra year at college to catch up due to personal reasons I could not finish in 2 years.

Now I see all the instagrams, facebook, snapchat pictures'of them all having the time of their lives aswell as them tagging me into things by 'accident ' and I cannot help feeling soo jealous.

i am in the same situation kind of (im on a gap year, not repeating a year) but I just keep myself busy with another alevel, learning an instrument and being on my computer etc. I enjoy my own company though so its not really upsetting to be "on my own" this year. Just stay busy and work hard and youll get to go to uni next year. Then youll have your old friends to talk to and youll have new friends in your year group at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im.a.witch)

It's a horrible feeling but you will get used to it. Everyone does things differently and although it feels like you're alone at the minute, you're really not the only one. Focus on the things you're doing at college, try and meet new people there and outside and work towards being able to get to uni next time, if that's what you want to do. It feels it at the time but a year isn't long at all in the long run, you'll probably have a better time when you do actually get there and you're just that bit older and more mature and had more time to work out what you want to do.

I'm on my third gap year now for health reasons which I hate but honestly I'm in a far better place to actually go as and when my health allows and likely to enjoy it far more. I wouldn't have believed that if you told me two years ago though! Not saying I don't still struggle particularly as many of my friends are now going into their third year and my younger sister into her first but we'll get there in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was in your situation. I kept up with those I could and made new friends.

Try not to be jealous.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.