Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Not taking chemistry in A levels

ReputationRep:
    I sat for my As chemistry under Cambridge board in 2016 and got a D. Now i am thinking of dropping the subject chemistry. I have 2 other subjects physics and mathematics in which i got C so i am retaking the exam. Now i need advice if i can get admission in good universities with just physics and mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    No you need 3 A Levels to get into most unis.

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to teach yourself Further maths AS (or A2, cant remember) then i think a couple of maths uni's can deal with 2 A2's. not a lot though, you'll have to hope for very good grades in those two combing with AS FM and ur other AS points and still end up in a lowish uni.
    My friend is self tutoring FM and is doing 2 A levels, however he's REALLY smart and hes doing extra maths modules to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    If you're willing to teach yourself Further maths AS (or A2, cant remember) then i think a couple of maths uni's can deal with 2 A2's. not a lot though, you'll have to hope for very good grades in those two combing with AS FM and ur other AS points and still end up in a lowish uni.
    My friend is self tutoring FM and is doing 2 A levels, however he's REALLY smart and hes doing extra maths modules to make up for it.
    but if i apply for uni in Usa then they will proitize sat score more. So if i get decent sat score can i still apply with 2 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    ah im not experienced with extra papers, not smart enough :s dont know how they work

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry opens you up to lots of potential courses however, if you are not enjoying it or not doing as well as you shouldn't have any doubts over dropping it. There are still so many other courses you can study at uni and as long as you have three a-levels, then universities can send you others. Also, sometimes it is best to track back to understand what subjects are the best for you e.g. look at courses in uni that you really like, and then the subjects needed for those.

Hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retttiarius)
    Chemistry opens you up to lots of potential courses however, if you are not enjoying it or not doing as well as you shouldn't have any doubts over dropping it. There are still so many other courses you can study at uni and as long as you have three a-levels, then universities can send you others. Also, sometimes it is best to track back to understand what subjects are the best for you e.g. look at courses in uni that you really like, and then the subjects needed for those.

Hope i helped
    Thanks for the advice, but the thing is i have 2 subjects now and i see no other option other than keeping
    Chemistry.I still haven't decided in which uni i will study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmfardin)
    Thanks for the advice, but the thing is i have 2 subjects now and i see no other option other than keeping
    Chemistry.I still haven't decided in which uni i will study.
    Are you not able to swap your subjects and pick up another. Also, have you looked at the full Chemistry specification and checked whether you find the content interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retttiarius)
    Are you not able to swap your subjects and pick up another. Also, have you looked at the full Chemistry specification and checked whether you find the content interesting?
    i already sat for chemistry exam but i didnt do well in it and my alternate is computer science which i cannot take as i did not had cs in my gces.

ReputationRep:
    think about futher mathematics.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.