Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Should I spend £450 on a phone even if my mum goes mad? Watch

I really want a nice phone and I found a 64gb rose gold iphone 6s plus (its locked to voadfone but still :/) going gor £450. Planning on using my student finance on the phone but I know my mum would hit the roof if she found out..should I just yolo it and buy the phone or save the money?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's your money and you're old enough to make your own decisions.

If you want to buy it, then buy it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But personally I wouldn't get an iPhone, they suck.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really want a nice phone and I found a 64gb rose gold iphone 6s plus (its locked to voadfone but still :/) going gor £450. Planning on using my student finance on the phone but I know my mum would hit the roof if she found out..should I just yolo it and buy the phone or save the money?
    I would say two things - do you really need 64 GB vs say, 32 GB?

Also if you don't have a sim contract already, maybe you can get one from Vodafone with that phone or something to make it look like £18 a month or whatever, so that it is almost 'hidden'?

(Original post by UWS)
    It's your money and you're old enough to make your own decisions.

If you want to buy it, then buy it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But personally I wouldn't get an iPhone, they suck.
    iPhone camera quality on snapchat and stuff is sooo much better than android tho

ReputationRep:
    Like anyone ever uses the loan on their studies,i managed to get a brand new sim free s6 edge 64gb from a local shop for £320 i(with my wages) n february you are paying too much if you were savvy you would shop around .

(Original post by chikane)
    Like anyone ever uses the loan on their studies,i managed to get a brand new sim free s6 edge 64gb from a local shop for £320 i(with my wages) n february you are paying too much if you were savvy you would shop around .
    I thought 450 quid for a 64gb iphone 6s plus was a bargain :/

agreed with the others. shop around to find a better deal. But at the end of the day, it's your money and your business so do what you want with it. Heck buy china white if you so wish to...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Don't buy china white

ReputationRep:
    go on smartfonestore they are cheaper

ReputationRep:
    > Students complaining about how hard their life is all the time, then spending loan money on this crap
    > apple
    > why the **** would you do that
    > it's a bloody phone
    > 0.o
    > ps just bought a 32gb card for £7
    > did i mention you're getting ripped off
    > don't know why i'm bothering
    > i mean if money is literally falling out of your pockets, go for it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Buy it if you really, really want the phone. Otherwise, buy it then sell it again to make more money.

ReputationRep:
    I thought 450 quid for a 64gb iphone 6s plus was a bargain :/
    Where you looking Ebay? try your local mobile shops also how much to unlock the phone?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a nicer phone so I wouldn't waste that money just because you can. Instead, go for a functional phone that works just as well and get either a 64gb or 32gb samsung evo sd card or whatever you want. In short, sacrifice some "extra" functionality that hardly anyone cares about or spend more money on something that useless. Honestly, it's your money, make the right decision. Just because you can spend, doesn't mean you should. Will it benefit you in the long-run? Is it a lot more faster? Is it a lot more secure? Is it sturdy?

Weigh up these factors and factors such as do you really need it, and then if need be, spend your money wisely.

(Original post by zainyyyyy)
    go on smartfonestore they are cheaper
    Just checked and its more expensive

(Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    > Students complaining about how hard their life is all the time, then spending loan money on this crap
    > apple
    > it's a bloody phone
    > 0.o
    I just wanted a nice phone man I've never had one. My phone rn is a smashed s3

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted a nice phone man I've never had one. My phone rn is a smashed s3
    Mine is a smashed J1. Smashed S3 sounds lush.

Look, I think you're insane, and morally wrong to spend student finance money on a luxury item, but at the end of the day the money's yours to spend how you see fit. As I see it, an S3 does the job, and I don't see how being able to take better pictures or download a million apps will help you study.

Then again, it seems for most that studying isn't the main reason to go to university. If you really don't need the cash for anything else, and aren't interested in saving or investing it, then it's not the worst thing you could do in the world. Doesn't hurt anyone, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    > apple
    > it's a bloody phone
    > 0.o
    lol students have no appreciation for money they never have that much cash in their account before.
    • Very Important Poster

You must have loads of money, then. Personally i'd be spending it on books, food and anything else associated with study. You'd better hope you dont need that money in the future.

Wow, you lot are savage..I don't even think I want the phone anymore

ReputationRep:
    450 for sim unlocked?
    Just checked and its more expensive

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you lot are savage..I don't even think I want the phone anymore
    get a samsung s7 edge

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.