Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

EU teacher applying in the UK

    • Thread Starter

    Hello everyone,

    I am currently working as a primary school teacher in my home country (EU) for the fifth consecutive year. I hold a degree in primary education and currently completing a relevant masters as well.

    I want to work as a primary school teacher in the UK and I am trying to explore all of my options. As I mentioned, I have school experience and a relevant degree, and last year I applied online and got the QTS as well.

    I would like to apply straight for a qualified teaching position but my concern is that I am not familiar with the British curriculum and that would hinder my chances - also, I would not be so confident to do that from the beginning. I have found a teacher training programme that is offered jointly by universities and schools, where you have to apply through UCAS, and I will aim for that.

    Do you know what other options are there for me, based on my situtation? Could the QTS that I received prevent me from working in an assistant/cover role initially? I am a bit confused with all the prerequisites for teaching in the UK, that's why I'd like some help about the variety of my options in general.

    Thank you!

    You can still work in an assistant/cover role initially even if you have QTS.
    There's no point in doing another teaching qualification in the UK - you already have QTS!
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.