Motion in a vertical plan question Watch

hals
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
a stone is dropped from the top of a tower. 3 seconds later another stone is thrown downwards from the same point at 35m/s. if they hit the ground at the same time find the height of the tower.

This is technically a mechanics 1 question but im sure the physics forum will have no trouble
TarotOfMagic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
S = ?
u = 35 ms^-1
v =
a = 9.8 ms^-2 (because the particle is being dropped downwards we take gravity to be positive)
t = 3s

Now, use an equation that coincides with all of our measurements: in order to find s (the displacement).
hals
Rep:
?
(Original post by TarotOfMagic)
S = ?
u = 35 ms^-1
v =
a = 9.8 ms^-2 (because the particle is being dropped downwards we take gravity to be positive)
t = 3s

Now, use an equation that coincides with all of our measurements: in order to find s (the displacement).
I already tried that. Like this:

S = ut + 1/2at^2
S = 35 (3) + 4.9(3^2)
S = 105 + 44.1
S = 149.5 m

But according to the answer this is wrong it should be 579.5 m

Thanks for your input though!
u.sha
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hals)
a stone is dropped from the top of a tower. 3 seconds later another stone is thrown downwards from the same point at 35m/s. if they hit the ground at the same time find the height of the tower.

This is technically a mechanics 1 question but im sure the physics forum will have no trouble
the struggle is real
hals
Rep:
?
(Original post by u.sha)
the struggle is real
Oh look we have matching avatars 😁
an_atheist
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TarotOfMagic)
S = ?
u = 35 ms^-1
v =
t = 3s

You're an idiot. The stone moving at 35 m/s is dropped 3 seconds after the first, it doesn't take 3 seconds to reach the floor.
(Original post by hals)
a stone is dropped from the top of a tower. 3 seconds later another stone is thrown downwards from the same point at 35 m/s. if they hit the ground at the same time find the height of the tower.

For the first stone,
s=
u=0
v=
a=9.8
t=t+3

For the second stone
s=
u=35
v
a=9.8
t=t

Equate the two displacements to find time, then find displacement using that value of t
hals
Rep:
?
(Original post by an_atheist)
You're an idiot. The stone moving at 35 m/s is dropped 3 seconds after the first, it doesn't take 3 seconds to reach the floor.

For the first stone,
s=
u=0
v=
a=9.8
t=t+3

For the second stone
s=
u=35
v
a=9.8
t=t

Equate the two displacements to find time, then find displacement using that value of t
Thanks
Shouldn't t=t-3 for the 1st stone because it happens before the 2nd one -.-

P.s. That idiot remark was unnecessary but ill let it slide because you tried to help
an_atheist
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hals)
Thanks
Shouldn't t=t-3 for the 1st stone because it happens before the 2nd one -.-

P.s. That idiot remark was unnecessary but ill let it slide because you tried to help
**** you are correct. Sorry about the idiot thing, it annoys me when people (inclding myself) manage to mess up easy maths based problems
hals
Rep:
?
**** you are correct. Sorry about the idiot thing, it annoys me when people (inclding myself) manage to mess up easy maths based problems
Apology accepted lol. Obviously that 1st method i tried wouldnt have worked because t=3 was not the actual time of fall but then i didnt know wht else to do and came on here after trying that invalid method
an_atheist
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hals)
Apology accepted lol. Obviously that 1st method i tried wouldnt have worked because t=3 was not the actual time of fall but then i didnt know wht else to do and came on here after trying that invalid method
Nope, it is t+3 for the first stone. IF the second stone is falling for a time t, the first stone was released 3 seconds earlier, and was falling for t+3 seconds

Got 579.5m for the height of the tower.
TarotOfMagic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Irony, at its finest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads