Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Joint degree: does it put you at a disadvantage? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I will be applying to study BSc Economics / Economics and Politics at the likes of LSE, UCL, Warwick with the view to going into IB after university. Are joint-degrees like Economics and Politics looked upon less favorably than say, pure Economics, when applying to IBs?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    IB's have no set degree requirements. You could get into investment banking with an art degree. So in plain words to answer your question they don't look at joint degrees less favourably.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBFUTURE)
    IB's have no set degree requirements. You could get into investment banking with an art degree. So in plain words to answer your question they don't look at joint degrees less favourably.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for your help. I suppose that where you study is now more important than what you study.

ReputationRep:
    100% correct. I am slightly unfortunate as I go to a "non target" due to certain circumstances, but I'm ambitious and determined and hope that will help me in the future.

I wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    100% correct. I am slightly unfortunate as I go to a "non target" due to certain circumstances, but I'm ambitious and determined and hope that will help me in the future.

I wish you the best of luck.
    Where and what are you studying at the moment? I think if you can push for a First in your degree, the university you go to may become less important when applying. I'm sure many people get into IB without having gone to a target university. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at DMU doing Physics. Currently holding a 86% average going into my third year, had no luck last year on internships. Made massive work on my CV though and am going to start applying next week for summers and off cycles.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at DMU doing Physics. Currently holding a 86% average going into my third year, had no luck last year on internships. Made massive work on my CV though and am going to start applying next week for summers and off cycles.
    What's DMU?

ReputationRep:
    No, but you can't even read the sticky so I doubt you have a chance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    No, banks don't care about the degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.