Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I move into halls tomorrow (later than everyone else, it seems) and I am so nervous about it. I'm quite shy, I don't drink or club or do anything other than read.....I'm worried I won't meet anyone or no one will like me etc (and my closest sixth form friend is my boyfriend and he's 3 hours away). Any tips for not being so anxious/nervous/outright terrified?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I move in today as well and I'm exactly the same. Are you going to Durham?

Try not to worry about it, just think everyone is going to be in a similar position. I think they'll be quite a few bookworms too, haha. Just get involved in all the freshers events, even try the clubbing/ drinking ones, you don't need to drink to go, just try it once before you rule it out. You could love it! if you are going to Durham, like me, then the collegiate aspect should make meeting people easier as well.

Just know, they'll be be a lot of other anxious/nervous people around with the same fears (like me)

ReputationRep:
    Just moved in yesterday. The people are awkward for 5-10 minutes. If you're not the last person there, help others unpack. It's a good way to start conversations with your new hall-mates(?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sycl0n3)
    Hey, I move in today as well and I'm exactly the same. Are you going to Durham?

Try not to worry about it, just think everyone is going to be in a similar position. I think they'll be quite a few bookworms too, haha. Just get involved in all the freshers events, even try the clubbing/ drinking ones, you don't need to drink to go, just try it once before you rule it out. You could love it! if you are going to Durham, like me, then the collegiate aspect should make meeting people easier as well.

Just know, they'll be be a lot of other anxious/nervous people around with the same fears (like me)
    I am going to Durham 😂, what college are you? (Or will you be)

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, don't worry. Your description is similar to about 1/4 of the people in my uni, and it's probably similar to that at Durham. Just be nice to people and remember that for most of them it's a completely new experience too. Also you have a week to get to know people before work starts, so you'll have the time.

Even if you don't find many friends at halls, you'll certainly make friends from societies. Make sure to have a thorough look through the list of societies online and at the freshers fair - you'll make a lot of your friends through your various interests.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.