Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

edders' campaign for grammatical excellence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will be giving out rep during the next few weeks to those peeple who construct grammatically sound sentences. Obviously, the better written and more stylish posts will be rewarded. Points for proper use of the colon, semi-colon, apostrophe, hyphen, ellipsis etc.

It's not long-winded posts that will be rewarded; posts that read well are what we're looking for: as such everyday practices such as elision (eg. "do not") are fine.

It is individual posts that will be rewarded. Therefore consistently good grammar by the author is not required; it is simply necessary in the post you would like to reward.

This is an ongoing process: as such there will be no single 'winner'. Indeed, we shall all be winners as we read examples of good writing!

Please remember, the point of this exercise is not to criticise non-conventional grammar but to reward its good usage.

Feel free to nominate people by posting links to their well-written posts here. Alternatively, simply copy and paste the post the post into your own posting here, stating who it was by and which thread it was in.
    I hope this will be a learning experience for us all.

People and their posts awarded so far:

26/7/04: eleenia
    8/8/04: Mr White

ReputationRep:
    You then owe me hundreds of rep points in back pay; all of my posts are gramatically sound.

ReputationRep:
    And I will give negative reputation points to anybody who puts that much effort into their sentence construction. Muahah. No just kidding. Good stuff. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    You then owe me hundreds of rep points in back pay; all of my posts are gramatically sound.
    The offer starts from this date

What an odd challenge, is this designed to abolish text talk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    What an odd challenge, is this designed to abolish text talk?
    No, just to educate people in the ways of the written word. After all, command English effectively and you will go a long way in life!

ReputationRep:
    Some of the posts on this website are just shocking though. It is supposed to be a student forum for intelligent people, not a place for illiterate riff-raff to liaise. Seriously though, I fully support this campaign !

ReputationRep:
    Edders has given me much ep in the past anyway, he must stop now or else I will feel too indebted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Some of the posts on this website are just shocking though. It is supposed to be a student forum for intelligent people, not a place for illiterate riff-raff to liaise. Seriously though, I fully support this campaign !
    Good!
    Just keep your eyes peeled for particularly stylish examples of effective punctuation and grammar, so we can praise the post's author for his panache on this thread!

(Original post by edders)
    No, just to educate people in the ways of the written word. After all, command English effectively and you will go a long way in life!
    I think there's more to going a long way in life then being able to use grammar perfecty, i'll support this anyway because i do find text talk quite annoying. I know i'm never going to get your reward as i can't spell and my grammar isn't perfect, you've even mentioned that before, but i am better than some people.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, this is quite a good idea. When I first joined everyone used to be really adamant that all posts should be gramatically correct. As of late, the standard of posts have fallen in every way. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't really care about rep anymore. This may be because those who do a lot of 'lmao' and 'word' -ing get banned so often that they will never have a decent amount of rep.

However, I admire your attempt to raise the standard edders, and I wish you every success.

ReputationRep:
    my nomination: http://www.uk-learning.net/search.php?searchid=347372

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I think there's more to going a long way in life then being able to use grammar perfecty, i'll support this anyway because i do find text talk quite annoying. I know i'm never going to get your reward as i can't spell and my grammar isn't perfect, you've even mentioned that before, but i am better than some people.
    Of course there's more to success than proper grammar, but believe me it certainly helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Good!
    Just keep your eyes peeled for particularly stylish examples of effective punctuation and grammar, so we can praise the post's author for his panache on this thread!
    OK I will do.

This thread reminds me of the time I attempted to teach one of my friends - who managed to achieve an A* grade in GCSE English Literature - how to use the apostrophe. Basically, he's still using greengrocers' apostrophes and the like, so my attempt failed miserably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    You really want rep don't you?

ReputationRep:
    My grammar and sentence (sp?) construction are far from desirable. Your idea is good though because a lot of people seem to be *hungry* for rep... It still made me laugh though.

LOL! This thread is a sticky, ah brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    edders - why doesn't your name begin with a capital letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Unfortunately, a lot of people don't really care about rep anymore. This may be because those who do a lot of 'lmao' and 'word' -ing get banned so often that they will never have a decent amount of rep.
    Well, it's not just the rep people will be awarded. It's the prestige of being publicly acknowledged as a skilled wordsmith.

ReputationRep:
    hey 'dders gd idea m8 - i rlly need some hlp wth my grmmr

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.