Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by happysunshine)
    posses
    well, we can see you don't (only kidding)

It doesn't really take a superbly-qualified English genius to distinguish a well-written message from "I IZ GOIN 2 DA APU" and suchlike, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

It doesn't really take a superbly-qualified English genius to distinguish a well-written message from "I IZ GOIN 2 DA APU" and suchlike, does it?
    Em, typo

No it doesn't but I'm sure most people, even the winners will have some kind of flaw to their writing. :cool: I just wondered how Edders could judge, seeing as he doesn't know every single rule of the English language.

Em, typo

No it doesn't but I'm sure most people, even the winners will have some kind of flaw to their writing. :cool: I just wondered how Edders could judge, seeing as he doesn't know every single rule of the English language.
    I don't think the point of this is to have absolutely perfect writing which can only be distinguished from slightly-flawed writing by those with high qualifications in English.

ReputationRep:
    Mr. Edders, do you posses an English degree or fantastic English qualifications to judge correct and perfect English?
    a Grade B in GCSE English Lit...

May I point out randomly that recently my spelling and grammar has been immaculate. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I don't think the point of this is to have absolutely perfect writing which can only be distinguished from slightly-flawed writing by those with high qualifications in English.
    But it's unlikely that those with excellent qualifications in English can't spot a mistake better than those without high qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    a Grade B in GCSE English Lit...
    See, there you go...

But it's unlikely that those with excellent qualifications in English can't spot a mistake better than those without high qualifications.
    Um, yeah, but if a mistake isn't spottable by any of the several people who look at this thread and most of whom are A-level or university students, I doubt whether any mistakes in it are really that serious even if to a Professor of English there's a glaring misuse of Anglo-Saxon plural endings, or something. I don't think nit-picking beyond a certain point is particularly helpful, and past a certain point a lot of it also becomes quite subjective (I have seen several arguments over whether it should be syllabi, syllabuses, syllabos (think that's right, not sure) etc etc.. there doesn't seem to be a "right" answer.. but syllabu's or something is clearly wrong). Having said this, I now realise why exam boards changed to calling them "specifications"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Um, yeah, but if a mistake isn't spottable by any of the several people who look at this thread and most of whom are A-level or university students, I doubt whether any mistakes in it are really that serious even if to a Professor of English there's a glaring misuse of Anglo-Saxon plural endings, or something. I don't think nit-picking beyond a certain point is particularly helpful, and past a certain point a lot of it also becomes quite subjective (I have seen several arguments over whether it should be syllabi, syllabuses, syllabos (think that's right, not sure) etc etc.. there doesn't seem to be a "right" answer.. but syllabu's or something is clearly wrong). Having said this, I now realise why exam boards changed to calling them "specifications"
    OK, I'll drop my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)

Ahem. That first sentence should have a full stop after the parenthesis.

When is a message deemed to be 'well-written'? If one allows for a degree of relaxion whereby small errors are permitted, we cannot say with certainty what is well-written and what is not. One assumes a well-written message is one that is free from grammatical error, as this is the only way of achieving certainty as to what is well-written. Therefore, a meticulous knowledge of grammar is required to adjudicate as to whether a sentence is well-written.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Huh? Anglo-Saxon plural endings? Who would be using them in here?

(Original post by muncrun)

When is a message deemed to be 'well-written'? If one allows for a degree of relaxion whereby small errors are permitted, we cannot say with certainty what is well-written and what is not. One assumes a well-written message is one that is free from grammatical error, as this is the only way of achieving certainty as to what is well-written. Therefore, a meticulous knowledge of grammar is required to adjudicate as to whether a sentence is well-written.

if you're looking for rep mate I don't think you will get it for that. Not even for using "one" and "therefore".

(Original post by eleenia)
    Huh? Anglo-Saxon plural endings? Who would be using them in here?
    i am slightly confused

ReputationRep:

The shoe passed by the duck and miserly jumped the fence. However, t'was not the fifth time this had been calculated - it wasn't even the first.

Is there anything wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i am slightly confused
    I was wondering who would be using Anglo-Saxon plural endings in this thread?

(Original post by eleenia)
    I was wondering who would be using Anglo-Saxon plural endings in this thread?

well, I don't even know what an Anglo-Saxon plural ending *is* precisely but presumably you might use them on anglo-saxon-origin words?

I think "-en" might be one as in "children" and "oxen" but it's also a feature of German so maybe it isn't... can anyone tell me?

either way, I'm sure some of us would use them wrongly if we did use them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    if you're looking for rep mate I don't think you will get it for that. Not even for using "one" and "therefore".
    Why should I care about a discussion forum full of anonymous people to the extent that I engineer my posts to achieve 'reputation'? The truth is I don't. That's the kind of behaviour that I'm sure someone like yourself can only get kicks from.

Your post has the trademarks of the irrational rant of a person who knows that the other has got the better of him in an argument.

Now go, run along and play.

Why should I care about a discussion forum full of anonymous people to the extent that I engineer my posts to achieve 'reputation'? The truth is I don't. That's the kind of behaviour that I'm sure someone like yourself can only get kicks from.

Your post has the trademarks of the irrational rant of a person who knows that the other has got the better of him in an argument.

Now go, run along and play.
    well, I fail to see what other reason you had for posting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    well, I don't even know what an Anglo-Saxon plural ending *is* precisely but presumably you might use them on anglo-saxon-origin words?

I think "-en" might be one as in "children" and "oxen" but it's also a feature of German so maybe it isn't... can anyone tell me?

either way, I'm sure some of us would use them wrongly if we did use them..
    Yes, I think oxen is AS. What about sheep (pl)? where does that come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    well, I fail to see what other reason you had for posting it.
    Shall I assume that every debate you enter into is for the purpose of achieving reputation?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.