Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

edders' campaign for grammatical excellence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Well, it's not just the rep people will be awarded. It's the prestige of being publicly acknowledged as a skilled wordsmith.
    Great, and we can all expand our vocabularies. 'Wordsmith' - that's a new one on me

ReputationRep:
    Question: when will you judge the winner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    There will be no single 'winner'; it'll be an ongoing process. I (and anyone else who wants to) will distribute praise as and when it is required.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I think people should be penalised for blatantly trying to 'win'.
    'Question:' was hardly nescessary.

ReputationRep:
    There will be no single 'winner'; it'll be an ongoing process. I (and anyone else who wants to) will distribute praise as and when it is required.
    I will also rep people for articulate, grammatically-sound posts, although my rep isn't worth many points!

ReputationRep:
    Surely abbreviations such as "it'll" should not be allowed?

ReputationRep:
    I will also rep people for articulate, grammatically-sound posts, although my rep isn't worth many points!
    is not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Lol. I think people should be penalised for blatantly trying to 'win'.
    'Question:' was hardly nescessary.
    You are wrong; I didn't write "question:" with the intent to impress, as it is hardly articulate, unlike your "blatantly trying"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    is not
    Contractions are perfectly valid. Unless, of course, edders decides that they are banned.

ReputationRep:
    And I ain't going to hardly try I don't need to impress no one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Abbreviations done correctly, with the right apostrophe use, are perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Why not?
    Because they are not proper in formal writing.

ReputationRep:
    Abbreviations done correctly, with the right apostrophe use, are perfectly acceptable.
    Wrong tense of the verb "to use". Tut tut.

ReputationRep:
    You are wrong; I didn't write "question:" with the intent to impress, as it is hardly articulate, unlike your "blatantly trying"!
    Just because I have a natural flair for writing, you shouldn't criticise me. 'Question:' was soooooooooooooo not required.

Oh well looks like i'm out of the running with all those 'os'

ReputationRep:
    edders did not say formal writing, just good grammar.

I may lend my 62 points to this campaign every so often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Wrong tense of the verb "to use". Tut tut.
    Eh? You're barking up the wrong tree there mate. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I will be giving out rep for the next few weeks to those people who construct grammatically sound sentences. Obviously, the better written and more stylish posts will be rewarded. Points for proper use of the colon, semicolon, apostrophe, hyphen, ellipsis etc.

Feel free to nominate people by posting links to their well-written posts here.
    I hope this will be a learning experience for us all.

I will be giving rep for those who type-set their work correctly. Points will be awarded against the criteria adopted by both the RSA and Pitman. As an example, two spaces follow a full stop within a paragraph. Consistency in new paragraph openings will also be awarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I will be giving rep for those who type-set their work correctly. Points will be awarded against the criteria adopted by both the RSA and Pitman. As an example, two spaces follow a full stop within a paragraph. Consistency in new paragraph openings will also be awarded.

I always leave two spaces!

It's been drilled into me (not literally).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Because they are not proper in formal writing.
    We're not rewarding formal writing: we're rewarding stylish yet grammatically correct writing.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.