Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

edders' campaign for grammatical excellence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Do you wish it to be grammatically correct?
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a toss.

*shock* That adverb is grammatically wrong! *eek*

(Original post by Tinykates)
    Negative reinforcement can be just as influential as positive reinforcement you know (if not more so).
    Nah because neg rep is /2, therefore positive rep will have more impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a toss.

*shock* That adverb is grammatically wrong! *eek*
    And so the downfall of edders' campaign begins...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    /2
    what language is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    What's the difference between 'business grammar' and Standard English?
    There is not a great deal of difference between 'business grammar' and Standard English. The main deviations are, in essence, stylistic.

ReputationRep:
    Nah because neg rep is /2, therefore positive rep will have more impact.
    Stop! Compare the amount of negative emotion you feel upon receiving negative rep, and the amount of postive emotion you feel upon receiving positive rep. Although only half the points are taken form you with regards to neg, rep. I think negative reinforcement has more of an impact.

Blah - how waffly was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    the examinations I have beckoned upon were generally sound, and the results will mirror my performance. However like i always say, i acknowledge your kind words and thank you for your positive contribution
    The examinations I have beckoned upon were generally sound, and the results will mirror my performance. However, like I always say, I acknowledge your kind words and thank you for your positive contribution.

Stop! Compare the amount of negative emotion you feel upon receiving negative rep, and the amount of postive emotion you feel upon receiving positive rep. Although only half the points are taken form you with regards to neg, rep. I think negative reinforcement has more of an impact.

Blah - how waffly was that?
    I get neg rep quite a lot and so i don't mind it anymore, i'm much happier to see a nice shiny green gem then i am upset to see a red one, unless it knocks off a gem.

(Original post by elpaw)
    what language is that?
    It's maths.

ReputationRep:
    Great, now everybody is saying that they'll rep epople who use good grammar, i better try harder. Do people deserve no credit for explaining the rules of cricket in detail for no apparent reason?
    I'm not repping for great feats of syntactical control or grammatical correctness so I would appreciate it if you did not group me together with these purists who will no doubt make many errors themselves in the following weeks on the forum, which will of course lead me to the conclusion that they are hypocrites who should be purged from the very forum that they endeavour to improve.

ReputationRep:
    the examinations I have beckoned upon were generally sound, and the results will mirror my performance. However like i always say, i acknowledge your kind words and thank you for your positive contribution
    Next steps:

1) Capital letters to begin all sentences.
    2) Full stops to end all sentences.
    3) Capitalise 'I' - it is a personal pronoun, and therefore requires capitalisation.
    4) 'examinations I have beckoned upon' needs some work.

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you, there is no comma between However and like Trust me.
    No, there definitely is.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid there is. 'However' should always be followed by a comma, and if it is in the middle of two other words a comma should also precede it.

ReputationRep:
    The comma between 'you' and 'there' is unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is nit picking to the extreme.
    Just offering a helping hand my dear.

*Can't help but laugh out loud* "Comma" LOL!

(Original post by Gimp)
    I'm not repping for great feats of syntactical control or grammatical correctness so I would appreciate it if you did not group me together with these purists who will no doubt make many errors themselves in the following weeks on the forum, which will of course lead me to the conclusion that they are hypocrites who should be purged from the very forum that they endeavour to improve.
    lol, speaking of being a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    There is not a great deal of difference between 'business grammar' and Standard English. The main deviations are, in essence, stylistic.
    Ah I see. Should the course not be called 'business language' or something else then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    The As are in the bag Gimpy.

ReputationRep:
    A's*
    A*s

ReputationRep:
    Where are the colons? The semicolons? Just think of the children!

ReputationRep:
    Next steps:

1) Capital letters to begin all sentences.
    You do not always start a sentence with a capital letter. To give an example, the following have very different meanings: "rhp51, rhp55 and rhp57 display homology to..." and: "Rhp51, Rhp55 and Rhp57 display homology to..."

If you capitalise the 'rhps' in example one, then you are no longer talking about genes, but proteins.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.