Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    What is an adver? What is conjuntive?
    However is being used as a conjuntive adver, it has to have a comma.

Let me correct your grammatical errors.

However is being used as a conjunctive adverb. It has to have a comma.

Interupting? What on earth? Interrupting! Encaspulated? What the?!?! Encapsulated*

Get a grip! I have Dyslexia, as you well know. From my previous post, you clearly knew I meant to post 'conjunctive adverb'. Unless, of course, you are actually cerebrally challenged and do not have any memory capacity. I do hope not.

Mod Expression - Strong Language in Quotation Violation - Post Amended to Remove Profanity.

ReputationRep:
    Edders - please, please lock this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Get a grip! I have Dyslexia, as you well know. From my previous post, you clearly knew I meant to post 'conjunctive adverb'. Unless, of course, you are actually cerebrally challenged and do not have any memory capacity. I do hope not.
    dazya's intemperance explains his frequent banning.

ReputationRep:
    As you decided to try to " front " me and try to correct me on where and where not to place commas, I took the opportunity to correct you.
    No spaces are required between the speech marks and the word you are quoting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    I don't think you're right, sorry. Anyone else care to wade into the discussion?
    I've looked this up in a dictionary of grammar, and it says that to use apostrophes to pluralise numbers, letters and dates is correct in American usage (e.g. 1970's), but is considered incorrect in Standard English, where 1970s would be correct. When this leads to confusion, for example, As could be a plural of the letter A or the word 'as', then it is conventional to place the pluralised letter or number within inverted commas, e.g. 'A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I've looked this up in a dictionary of grammar, and it says that to use apostrophes to pluralise numbers, letters and dates is correct in American usage (e.g. 1970's), but is considered incorrect in Standard English, where 1970s would be correct. When this leads to confusion, for example, As could be a plural of the letter A or the word 'as', then it is conventional to place the pluralised letter or number within inverted commas, e.g. 'A's.
    Inverted commas seem a tad excessive to me. You may be right though.

ReputationRep:
    That is what I was also led to believe.

ReputationRep:
    As you decided to try to " front " me and try to correct me on where and where not to place commas, I took the opportunity to correct you.
    Oh dear! You appear to have demonstrated inappropriate usage of quotation marks in your post. I do not believe that, until now, "Front" has been posted in order for it to be directly quoted! Tut! Tut!

ReputationRep:
    I was always led to believe that inverted commas should be used instead of an apostrophe in order to eliminate confusion, but then again I don't know everything.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively one could say "A grade(s)".

ReputationRep:
    *Sigh*

Leave for 44 minutes too have some quiche an the thread turns into arguing.

ReputationRep:
    The funny thing is, is that you have probably checked all those words in the dictionary for integrity.

It does not make a difference.
    I think you will find it does. Quite a big difference. You should think about refining your knowledge of grammatical rules before you finish your degree. There are some extremely pedantic people out there, who, to give an example, will take away marks in essays for such misdemeanors.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you all read the opening post to the thread again; I've updated it to make more explicit what I want its purpose to be.

I'm off, keep the gloves on!

ReputationRep:
    Then how will you cope with your condition?
    I would like to thank you for your concern, but it is misplaced. I would like to reassure you, having already done one undergraduate degree and having gained a D.Phil. from the University of Oxford, that there are ways of avoiding letting a medical condition disrupt your academic outputs.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest they will not care if I have used a space between quotes and a word and on written paper this would not be the case!
    I feel I need to point out that I made no comment of your use of spaces in your quotation. Again, I feel you may have memory issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Edders has given me much ep in the past anyway, he must stop now or else I will feel too indebted
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is you with the memory issues. Tinykates commented about the spacing between quotation marks and words. I then said: It does not make a difference, with which you went on to say that there are pedantic people out there.

I actually made comment about your inappropriate use of quotation marks, and it is that that lead to my post.

ReputationRep:
    Fluffy says: I feel I need to point out that I made no comment of your use of spaces in your quotation

It is still within the same context.

I am afraid it is not. I made no comment of your use of spaces, and did not reply to any of your comments on your use of them.

Anyway, I am off now for the evening, as I have a life away from computers and hacking. I may bring you a 'doggy bag' home from Claridges, but only if you are good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I am afraid it is not. I made no comment of your use of spaces, and did not reply to any of your comments on your use of them.

Anyway, I am off now for the evening, as I have a life away from computers and hacking. I may bring you a 'doggy bag' home from Claridges, but only if you are good.
    ooooh, Clardiges, very posh - say hello to Gordon Ramsey for me.

ReputationRep:
    Like I say it is still within the same context.

Stop resorting to random hate to compensate for your insecurities.
    What random hate campaign are you referring to? Little boy, and your aliases, 'ahem' I mean school friends. If you feel pointing out grammatical weaknesses is a hate campaign, I really hope you do not come across anyone in the real world with a true hatred for you.

Anyway, I really have to run as concierge has just buzzed up as our cab is here.

I hope you have fun.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.