What education do I need for becoming a lawyerWatch
- How long does law course last
- Do I need to go to anyo ther colleges or stuff
Also unrelated to this, how long does medicine last
1. Complete a law degree, or
2. Complete any other degree and do the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) which is a one-year course in which you study the seven fundamental areas required to become a solicitor or barrister
Once you've got that under your belt, the path diverges depending on whether you want to be a solicitor or barrister.
To become a solicitor, you must then:
1. Complete the Legal Practice Course (LPC), which is another one year course, and then
2. Complete a two-year training contract at a solicitor's firm (which often lands you with a job at that firm)
To become a barrister, instead of the route above you must:
1. Complete the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), which is a one year course and then
2. Complete a pupillage at a barrister's chambers
So all in all, it takes 5 years to qualify as a lawyer, six if you don't do a Law degree.