Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I simply cannot afford university anymore - and I'm on my final year of Law

ReputationRep:
    Last year's been a mess for me: I've been living in a 90 pound *****y shared bathroom room, and this year I'm afraid I wont be able to afford that even. University starts in a couple of weeks, and according to my calculations I should have enough money for 2, top 3 months. My family is poor and cant help me, I've already taken all loans I can. I dont know what to do, I cant quit uni on my final year

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into any grants? Speak to any advisors at uni there are usually funds set aside for those going through financial hardship.

(Original post by RosesAreRed1)
    Last year's been a mess for me: I've been living in a 90 pound *****y shared bathroom room, and this year I'm afraid I wont be able to afford that even. University starts in a couple of weeks, and according to my calculations I should have enough money for 2, top 3 months. My family is poor and cant help me, I've already taken all loans I can. I dont know what to do, I cant quit uni on my final year
    Have you thought about doing a part time job or tutoring kids for money in your spare time or doing odd cleaning jobs/maintenance? Or maybe asking your uni for advice or if you have any stuff your not using anymore or clothes you dont wear anymore,to sell them? Have you thought about using a food bank to save money on food or using coupons or some way to save money on food or if your university is not far away, living at home if this is a possibility? Maybe try and see if there is any relative/friend you could live with for free? Or find more ways to save money,e.g. spending less money on clothes and walking instead of using public transport or cutting spending in other ways?

ReputationRep:
    I think at some unis you could also apply for hardship funds? I'm not sure about elegibility criteria so you would have to look that up. What about a part time job or tutoring as they could both bring money in?

ReputationRep:
    Did you work over the summer to help yourself financially?

EIther way, contact your university. Let them know the score.

Sadly, even after university most people need a lot of money to go into the legal profession unless you get sponsored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Did you work over the summer to help yourself financially?

EIther way, contact your university. Let them know the score.

Sadly, even after university most people need a lot of money to go into the legal profession unless you get sponsored.
    I've been working all year long mate

ReputationRep:
    You could talk to someone about interrupting your degree. Basically you take a break out of uni and come back after an agreed period of time to continue where you left off. If you make it a year then you could use that time to save up money while living with your parents and working a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    If your parents are poor then you should be receiving more than enough from student finance to get by, plus most likely a university bursary, so I would examine your budget closely and identify if there are any ways you can make savings.*

ReputationRep:
    Where's the money going?

A full loan (/grant), plus money from a job; and a £90 room - you should have masses left:
    Suppose outside London, £8200 on new rates.
    PT Job, let's say roughly £3000 PA. (Minimum wage for around 11h a week)
    That's £11,200.
    £90 room is £4680 PA.
    You should have £6,520 left - more than enough unless you're leaving something major out.

ReputationRep:
    Today, draw up a list of your income sources/amounts and your monthly budget. Be totally honest about what you are spending your £ on, and what debts you have.
    Go and see the Welfare staff at your SU on Monday with a copy of the above, bank statements etc.
    Then go and talk to your Personal Tutor. This is exactly what they are there for.

Do not think about dropping out. This will make you effectively totally unemployable for years to come, and be a total waste of all the time/money you have committed so far. I too faced this 'can't afford it' crisis in my final year - my personal tutor allowed me to miss his classes so that I could work 25 hours a week for a term. I survived, and graduated with a 2i. Be determined that you are not going to just 'give up'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Sex work?

Not being disrespectful. If I was a girl I would genuinely consider it.
    I have considered a non-sexual sugar daddy a few times
    But then I'm like "nah, that's disgusting" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    Where's the money going?

A full loan (/grant), plus money from a job; and a £90 room - you should have masses left:
    Suppose outside London, £8200 on new rates.
    PT Job, let's say roughly £3000 PA. (Minimum wage for around 11h a week)
    That's £11,200.
    £90 room is £4680 PA.
    You should have £6,520 left - more than enough unless you're leaving something major out.
    This entirely... Maximum loan and a room for £90/week - even if you weren't working, you should be swimming in money

Theyve already said it all.

Work out where the money is going.
    Get a job.
    Seek funding from any bursaries by the uni.
    Overdraft.

If you cnat afford it, then simply suspend, get a job and resume when you have saved sufficient funds. Worse option will be to go ahead and let the money disrupt your studies so you get a poor degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If you cnat afford it, then simply suspend, get a job and resume when you have saved sufficient funds.
    You wont be allowed to do this in your final year.

(Original post by returnmigrant)
    You wont be allowed to do this in your final year.
    Without looking at the rules on deferment for each university then impossible to say unless you know this for a fact. It doesnt say where they are studying. they cnat force someone to attend so they must have provision for deferment.or suspension of studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Without looking at the rules on deferment for each university then impossible to say unless you know this for a fact. It doesnt say where they are studying. they cnat force someone to attend so they must have provision for deferment.or suspension of studies.
    Without a really compelling reason (ie. serious illness) Universities will not allow students to suspend once you have started your final year. A year off (and therefore extra time to study/revise/write your dissertation(s)), gives you an unfair advantage over other students and also messes up a University's completion rates. Its also an easy skip by students who know they are likely to fail and Universities would rather get rid of that student than allow them to mess everybody about, repeat a year and still fail.

'I can't afford to do a degree' isn't a compelling reason and the only option aside from carrying on is to drop out and not complete your degree.

I'm an academic at an RG Uni. I suspect I know more about this process than you do.

(Original post by returnmigrant)
    Without a really compelling reason (ie. serious illness) Universities will not allow students to suspend once you have started your final year. A year off (and therefore extra time to study/revise/write your dissertation(s)), gives you an unfair advantage over other students and also messes up a University's completion rates. Its also an easy skip by students who know they are likely to fail and Universities would rather get rid of that student than allow them to mess everybody about, repeat a year and still fail.

'I can't afford to do a degree' isn't a compelling reason and the only option aside from carrying on is to drop out and not complete your degree.

I'm an academic at an RG Uni. I suspect I know more about this process than you do.
    Fair enough. Id still check the rules for my institution though to see what they say.
    The OP wont have started their final year though.
    Its also probable on the final year of an LLB the modules will be fresh as the compulsory ones tend to be out of the way by year 2.

I just looked at 2 unis randomly and they do seem to cater for voluntray suspension of studies. I couldnt seem to see anything preventing such an application between Second and third year plus they do seem to allow for financial difficulties. Obviously this is just two out of many and I may have missed something.

Nottingham

Name:  suspension of study.PNG
Views: 105
Size:  10.8 KB

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academi...-of-study.aspx

Bristol

Grounds for Suspension

6.5 A suspension may be granted on the grounds that the student is unable to engage effectively with their studies owing to external factors such as serious and persistent health problems, disability, bereavement or additional sole caring responsibilities, serious financial problems, mandatory military service, or where a part-time student’s employment pattern has changed.

6.6 A suspension may also be granted if it is demonstrated by the student that it would genuinely be in his or her best academic interests to suspend studies, for example in order to take up employment or other activities that will contribute to their academic development or where the student is transferring to another programme.
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/academic-qu...es/suspension/
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    I have considered a non-sexual sugar daddy a few times
    But then I'm like "nah, that's disgusting" :rofl:

To put it bluntly, some guys are complete ****wits.

Girls can make money in so many bizarre ways. Selling their hair or underwear online. Or swearing at and humiliating guys over webcam.

You often don't need to have sex to make cash. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    To put it bluntly, some guys are complete ****wits.

Girls can make money in so many bizarre ways. Selling their hair or underwear online. Or swearing at and humiliating guys over webcam.

You often don't need to have sex to make cash. :rofl:
    Selling hair? I have long hair, I could easily sell a foot of my hair for a good amount :rofl:

Hmm, I still wouldn't do that other weird stuff. I'd rather do a part time job in a supermarket :lol:

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.