Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Spooky Laptop

ReputationRep:
    i have a 1999 dell laptop running on an old version of windows. it is by far the quickest and still the fastest laptop ive owned, its seen out dozens of newer laptops, i do not get it, it is lightening fast, and never ever gives me problems, ive spent hundreds trying others, but, NOTHING, compares ??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanmarshall)
    i have a 1999 dell laptop running on an old version of windows. it is by far the quickest and still the fastest laptop ive owned, its seen out dozens of newer laptops, i do not get it, it is lightening fast, and never ever gives me problems, ive spent hundreds trying others, but, NOTHING, compares ??????
    Specs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Specs?
    assuming he has glasses because he talks about computers :hand:

ReputationRep:
    If it's an old version of Windows I'm guessing it's something like XP or earlier.

Before Windows Vista, the general specs needed to run an OS were very low. XP was the last of it's kind. The reason for this is that computer hardware back then paled in comparison to what we have now. Odds are your current phone will out spec the laptop. This means there was a limited number of things you could do with the OS because you didn't have ridiculous amounts of hardware to play with.

Compare that to the machines of nowadays, especially the low end ones. I see laptops being sold with 4GB of RAM. The bare minimum I'd want in a machine to ensure good performance (on Windows at least) is 8GB. Windows 10 requires a minimum of 2GB officially. Compare that to Windows XP which required 64MB but recommended 128MB. The difference between them is huge. Or to put that in perspective if you were lucky enough to have 1GB of RAM to play with on XP you had 8 times more than the recommended. That scales to 16GB for Windows 10 (and machines are being sold with 4GB of RAM!!)

Realistically the reason older OS give snappier performance is because there's simply less to do. That's also the same reason things like XP are more stable, and thus why many industries still run XP. There's simply less to go wrong and less to patch up.

So you see it isn't spooky in the slightest. However I also argue that you aren't trying the right machines. Technological advances like SSD's have made machines faster so the speed aspect can sometimes be handled by throwing more resources at the OS. But in terms of reliability nothing you buy nowadays will be as reliable as an old laptop running XP. That's the price you pay for advanced features.

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out, Windows 10's requirement is 1GB RAM if it's a 32-bit Windows install, and 2GB if it's a 64-bit install.
    The same goes with Windows 7 (and 8).
    Vista also needed 1GB RAM, unless you wanted Vista Basic (in which case it was 0.5GB).
    The trouble is that many computers launched at the start of the Vista era did not meet that spec.

Of course, with Windows 7/10, things have got a lot better, but even so, I wouldn't want to use anything slower than an intel i3 or less than 6GB RAM for most tasks. It's not just the OS that requires more resources - most modern software also requires more resources than ever before.
    For example, Office 2016 wants a 1GHz processor (or better) and 2GB RAM (or better).
    Office 2003, on the other hand, which is still installed on one of my XP machines, can run fine on an old Pentium 3 and 128MB RAM.

The XP era was the last era whereby system requirements for a lot of software (and the OS) was very low - hence why things sped along nicely if you had decent hardware. Whereas nowadays, things run very slowly unless you have decent hardware - and even so, things will not speed along as quickly as before.

For example: an intel i5-480m and 6GB RAM on Windows 7 is reasonable. An intel i7-4510u and 8GB RAM on Windows 7 speeds along nicely (windows 10, on the same machine, is a bit slower because windows 10 is more complex and has more things running in the background). A cheap AMD-E2 processor with 6GB RAM, however, is very slow on windows 8.1 and windows 10!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanmarshall)
    It's most likely running Windows 95, Windows XP at a push. If it does what you need it to and if the battery lasts more than fifteen seconds, have fun using it. However if you do decide to get a new laptop, you can amuse yourself by installing Windows Vista/7/8/10 on this antique and watching it melt from the inside as it attempts to cope with a modern OS.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.