Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any point in taking Mathematics without FM? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so basically I'd really like to study french & linguistics at University at the moment, and it occured to me that taking maths may actually be quite helpful. However at the moment I intend on taking French, Italian, English lit., English Lang. (separate as opposed to combined) and, as a possible fifth subject, philosophy/sociology/mathematics. I'm predicted around a 7 for GCSE maths I think, and I do find it quite challenging, and due to number restrictions I could only take mathematics without FM. In your opinion, along with 4 other a levels, is it possible to cope with mathematics? Also how much harder is it than GCSE, and is it still a well respected a level even without doing further maths? Thanks
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakMinett)
    Hi, so basically I'd really like to study french & linguistics at University at the moment, and it occured to me that taking maths may actually be quite helpful. However at the moment I intend on taking French, Italian, English lit., English Lang. (separate as opposed to combined) and, as a possible fifth subject, philosophy/sociology/mathematics. I'm predicted around a 7 for GCSE maths I think, and I do find it quite challenging, and due to number restrictions I could only take mathematics without FM. In your opinion, along with 4 other a levels, is it possible to cope with mathematics? Also how much harder is it than GCSE, and is it still a well respected a level even without doing further maths? Thanks
    Mathematics as one subject alone is very hard. Students with grade A at GCSE usually struggle and get like a D at AS let alone Further Mathematics. It is a very well respected subject but don't take it as another option and not bother to really study for it because it's really hard if your not interested in Maths. Further Mathematics is usually for students who get A* at GCSE but then again if not interested in Mathematics it's impossible to complete if you have no interest.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't need FM for your degree, don't take it. It is a extremely difficult subject

Personally, I didn't think Maths was that much harder but I had done a FSMQ which made the transition a lot easier. The hardest bit I would say is wrapping your head around C4 integration.

But to answer your question, you don't need to take FM, Maths is enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakMinett)

Hi!
    I don't get why you want to do maths as a fifth a-level when you want to study french and linguistic at Uni.
    However if you enjoy maths it shouldn't be a problem.
    I just started doing maths and further maths at a-level and I can honestly say that it is a hell of a lot of work, you have to put a lot of effort, sepecially in FP modules so I wouln't suggest you do it just because it might be 'quite helpful', plus i don't think it's required by your university course.
    But if you still want to do it then go ahead, it's an amazing subject and it's okay if you don't do further maths with it.

ReputationRep:
    legit don't bother doing 5 you don't need it. it gives you no advantage (due to the nature of your degree and the fact unis don't necessarily favour 5 a levels over 4) and maths is pretty unrelated to your degree choice. focusing on 4 will mean you get 4 really good grades instead of 5 mediocre ones.
    maths a level is a looot harder, if you want to do well at a level you need to ideally be comfortably getting a high A/A* at gcse, and even then it requires a lot of extra time. it looks fine without FM, still very highly respected.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should do Maths (maybe even instead of English Lit), with statistics if you can. Linguistics can get very maths-y in the cooler areas: for example, analysing corpuses (you need stats for that), formal languages (pure maths), computational linguistics (stats), etc... it's all great fun and much easier if you've already done A2 Maths.

Maths is also very doable without taking FM.

(This post may sound a bit preachy, but I'm a linguist who's very into maths)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.