The Student Room Group

Why do people like maths better than experiments/practicals in Science?

So, on many threads, I have seen people saying how much they hate the experiments in physics A-level and Physics course at uni. I don't understand why people hate practicals/experiments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Coz Maths is bae.
Although you say "title", this is a very vague question, at least I think so. Anyway, one reason could be because it doesn't involve the experiment and the write up and the method and the apparatus setup etc etc.
Original post by Kiritsugu
Although you say "title", this is a very vague question, at least I think so. Anyway, one reason could be because it doesn't involve the experiment and the write up and the method and the apparatus setup etc etc.

edited
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
edited

Well I know that practicals are difficult. Sure, the teachers may try to play it off like it's all going to be fine and that it's easy if you read the instructions carefully. Hell no. They expect you to do it mostly by yourself, which is expected since you're trying to be more independent. But the pressure is high because on one hand they expect you to follow an impossible time-limit whilst being wary of the rules and they can't "cheat".

Practicals and the write-up are usually hard, that is, if you have to do it. Given the limited amount of time you have to do the experiment, write the results, and then make sure everything looks good because it determines whether you get a pass or not can be nerve-wracking.

On the other hand, one might actually enjoy it, but it's usually a fast-paced endeavour and you really don't want to be getting the practicals wrong. I think a lot of people make silly mistakes by NOT reading the instructions carefully, that's why I believe it is a principal rule that the teacher explains the practical beforehand, lets you have a practice, and then you'll be ready for the real thing. Unfortunately, I didn't ever get chances like that, but my teachers were a bit more lenient on the practicals and more care-free which was helpful.

I don't know how maths links into this question??
Reply 6
Honestly speaking, I hate the perspective of having to write up methods and have to do extra reading and background research and still not 100% know if you're doing it right or wrong. I know this varies upon each person individually but I just prefer having a solid answer at the end of a question as opposed to a research based, opinionated answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending