Live out or commute to uni?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to live out, so I could experience adult life, i'm not one to go out to clubs and party, I just wanted to become independent. Ironically, my mum stopped me from living out so now I'll have to just commute.
    What are your reasons for living out or commuting? Is one better than the other?

ReputationRep:
    Lived at home, for the same reason as you :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The reason why I want to live at uni is to make friends, have a thriving social life and where I live, there aren't any good universities or any that really do the course I want so it was either commute a long distance or live at uni. I also want the freedom and independence.

ReputationRep:
    i wanted to be more independent and be more social but the social bit didn't turn out so well, i might just commute in my second year lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the social bit is overrated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHARKU)
    I really wanted to live out, so I could experience adult life, i'm not one to go out to clubs and party, I just wanted to become independent. Ironically, my mum stopped me from living out so now I'll have to just commute.
    What are your reasons for living out or commuting? Is one better than the other?
    Hello,

I'd moved out and lived in halls because I was ready too. I love my family but I'd reached all I could achieve in my small town, grown as far as I could there. I wanted to move away to live independently and grow as a person, learn life lessons and skills and just experience and settle into that adult life and it was the best thing I ever did. I was ready to move out.

I don't think I could have ever copped with living at home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello,

I'd moved out and lived in halls because I was ready too. I love my family but I'd reached all I could achieve in my small town, grown as far as I could there. I wanted to move away to live independently and grow as a person, learn life lessons and skills and just experience and settle into that adult life and it was the best thing I ever did. I was ready to move out.

I don't think I could have ever copped with living at home!
    if only my mum would see my point of view she thinks im gonna go and completely change when in uni, i.e. go out and party etc even though i dont drink/go to parties and i dont plan to -_-

ReputationRep:
    I live in halls, although my uni is easily commutable. I'm also not a big one for going out, and I was worried I'd be the only one that is, however all of my friends at uni aren't big on going out either! For me, living in halls was my opportunity to get to know people, become independent and it is also a lot easier in terms of getting to uni and everything! I decided to live in halls knowing that if I really hated it, I could commute in my second and third year. I'm not going to lie to you, the first few days I found really hard, you're away from home, and you're totally independent for the first time. However, I'm 3 weeks in now, and I can honestly say that deciding to live in halls was the best decision I've ever made! I've made amazing friends, and because I'm on campus it's easier in terms of getting involved in societies and getting to know different people that aren't just on your course. Even in the short time that I've been here, I have matured and become a much more confident person. Uni has definitely changed me for the better!

Also, as harsh as this may sound- this is your life now, obviously take other people's opinions (your mum's) into account, but ultimately, you're the one doing the three years at uni, you need to make sure that you're going to be happy there!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.