Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fatigue and trouble sleeping Watch

Announcements

I've put this post in the mental health forum because I have anxiety and OCD and probably a form of depression. I keep feeling really tired which makes normal things difficult. I also have trouble getting to sleep, I'm tired but not sleepy, I have disrupted sleep and a few times I have not slept deeply. Sometimes I also find it very difficult to get up and end up sleeping in late but still feel tired. I'm getting some CBT for the OCD and I have had some for the anxiety before but I still feel anxious. I find it hard to do much. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've put this post in the mental health forum because I have anxiety and OCD and probably a form of depression. I keep feeling really tired which makes normal things difficult. I also have trouble getting to sleep, I'm tired but not sleepy, I have disrupted sleep and a few times I have not slept deeply. Sometimes I also find it very difficult to get up and end up sleeping in late but still feel tired. I'm getting some CBT for the OCD and I have had some for the anxiety before but I still feel anxious. I find it hard to do much. Does anyone have any advice on how to improve? Thank you.
    I've only ever seen one person with real OCD, so I kind of know how you feel and how you could be in a state of depression. Have you researched sleep techniques, tips, tricks, and tactics?

One of the things I do, which is very useful, is that I wear ear plugs in order to go to sleep. Also don't have anything that keeps you awake in the night such as caffeine. Um, take all the lights off especially stuff like a red light from a tv or the light from a phone or computer, maybe keep a little light near you if you like reading. Also, make sure you're comfortable before sleeping. Also, try to either cut down the workload of whatever you're doing or somehow work more efficiently and prioritise tasks, and be organised. I'm sure you like being organised
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This sort of thing can be related to depression so it could just be part of your current mh issues. It could also be caused by your disrupted sleep in which case trying to tackle that might have a knock on affect.
    I would suggest you see your gp though. There are various conditions that could cause this and a lot of them have links to mh issues too. I though that my tiredness was just due to my depression but my doctor took some blood samples and turns out I had a vitamin D deficiency and Hypothyroidism too. They not only made me tired but could have quite easily contributed to my other issues.
    Going to a doctor means a) they can test for conditions and b) they can give you good advice. I would suggest you rule out any other conditions before trying to improve it yourself. I left it for a while and it just made it harder to deal with later.

Good luck. I have been inn your shoes and know how much it can suck, but I also know that it gets better so please remember that

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same profile OP and I can give you some advice if you want (you can PM me, I'm not judgmental at all) but I also don't want to discourage you 'cos I haven't been the best at following my own advice (for me it has been tough to get better)

ReputationRep:
    I also suffer from dreadful insomnia.

(Original post by Kiritsugu)
    I've only ever seen one person with real OCD, so I kind of know how you feel and how you could be in a state of depression. Have you researched sleep techniques, tips, tricks, and tactics?

One of the things I do, which is very useful, is that I wear ear plugs in order to go to sleep. Also don't have anything that keeps you awake in the night such as caffeine. Um, take all the lights off especially stuff like a red light from a tv or the light from a phone or computer, maybe keep a little light near you if you like reading. Also, make sure you're comfortable before sleeping. Also, try to either cut down the workload of whatever you're doing or somehow work more efficiently and prioritise tasks, and be organised. I'm sure you like being organised
    I don't have caffeine and I have everything dark. Funnily enough I'm not actually very clean or organised, my OCD is more around germs and bad things happening. I am actually very messy, I don't tend to put things away or clean up very often which doesn't help, I just tend to not feel like doing anything, everything is a chore.

I'm not studying at the moment and my work is more self-employment but I'm struggling to even get myself to do that.

(Original post by Kindred)
    This sort of thing can be related to depression so it could just be part of your current mh issues. It could also be caused by your disrupted sleep in which case trying to tackle that might have a knock on affect.
    I would suggest you see your gp though. There are various conditions that could cause this and a lot of them have links to mh issues too. I though that my tiredness was just due to my depression but my doctor took some blood samples and turns out I had a vitamin D deficiency and Hypothyroidism too. They not only made me tired but could have quite easily contributed to my other issues.
    Going to a doctor means a) they can test for conditions and b) they can give you good advice. I would suggest you rule out any other conditions before trying to improve it yourself. I left it for a while and it just made it harder to deal with later.

Good luck. I have been inn your shoes and know how much it can suck, but I also know that it gets better so please remember that
    Thank you, I did go to the doctors and some of my vitamins were low, I've been taking tablets for them but haven't noticed a big difference so far.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I did go to the doctors and some of my vitamins were low, I've been taking tablets for them but haven't noticed a big difference so far.
    It can take a while to notice a difference, but I would go see your doc again after a month if they don't seem to be helping. Probably means there's something more to it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.