Can I get into medicine

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 2A*s, 6As, 2Bs (went to a crap school which was in special measures though - on the verge of closing down)

AS: 4As

UKCAT: 683 Average Band 1

Work Experience: 3 days at GP, 4 days at pharmacy, 3 days at hospital, scheduled to start 6 months volunteering at hospital, mentor year 11 at school, ethics and philosophy debate club, Arabic tutor and unofficial librarian

Hobbies: reading, swimming

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    Anyone??
    Yes, but you'll need to avoid GCSE-heavy schools, e.g. Cardiff, Oxford, Birmingham, etc.

The Medic Portal might be able to tell you which specific schools your profile is most suited to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you've got a good chance provided you choose the right universities and your personal statement is on point. Sorry I'm a Scottish applicant so the English system kind of confuses me.
    I don't have a good knowledge of what unis outside Scotland are looking for but pretty sure if you applied in Scotland you'd get an interview for Aberdeen and Dundee. Bare in mind, I have no idea what I'm going to do. Try the Birmingham uni offer calculator... Maybe that would provide a decent indication but remember Bham is more competitive than other unis so you've still got a got shot elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Yes, but you'll need to avoid GCSE-heavy schools, e.g. Cardiff, Oxford, Birmingham, etc.

The Medic Portal might be able to tell you which specific schools your profile is most suited to.
    Hi there - First of all, well done on a strong UKCAT score and some excellent AS Grades. Based on your GCSEs, you may (depending on whether they consider your mitigating circumstances) struggle a little at St Andrews, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leicester, Nottingham, Queens Belfast. But it's worth checking with them directly if you really like any of those. You can see all the medical school requirements on our comparison table, which should really help in this case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi there - First of all, well done on a strong UKCAT score and some excellent AS Grades. Based on your GCSEs, you may (depending on whether they consider your mitigating circumstances) struggle a little at St Andrews, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leicester, Nottingham, Queens Belfast. But it's worth checking with them directly if you really like any of those. You can see all the medical school requirements on our comparison table, which should really help in this case
    Hi, thank you for the reply
    Just wanted to ask, would I be safe at Leicester's foundation year, Liverpool, SGUL, and Southampton? I did want to apply for Nottingham, but yeah, my GCSEs aren't good enough so I might apply after getting my A2 results...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    Hi, thank you for the reply
    Just wanted to ask, would I be safe at Leicester's foundation year, Liverpool, SGUL, and Southampton? I did want to apply for Nottingham, but yeah, my GCSEs aren't good enough so I might apply after getting my A2 results...
    Hi - it's hard to give you guarantees as to what would be 'safe' because it's a bit of a moving target. You have to base your decision on what happened in previous years and the requirements set out this year. But even then, the comparative scores of other applicants remains the great unknown...

In this situation, we would recommend using our comparison tool to compare medical school requirements and our other pages and blogs to get more info on the way unis view AS Levels, resits, UKCAT & etc.

In your situation, given how much you've narrowed it down we would also recommend picking up the phone and speaking to these unis directly about your circumstances to get the most specific and up to date advice.

Hope this helps!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.